Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cgarlati  
#1 Posted : 13 May 2008 05:06:53(UTC)
cgarlati

Hi There,

I would like to control **remotely*** the direction of rotation of the Faller gantry crane 120162. The crane is designed for the Faller synchronous motor 180629 and its direction can only be set manualy through a tiny mechanical rod built into the motor gear itself.

Did anyone tryied to replace the Faller 180629 with a DC motor or a servo? Any other ideas?

Thank you

Cesare
Offline hgk  
#2 Posted : 14 May 2008 09:07:55(UTC)
hgk

Caesare,
I was able to put together a small stepper motor with a controller chip and a small driver chip for a rolling bridge project I'm scratchbuilding. The total cost was probably around 20 usd. The controller chip can be set up to use internal preset step rates so the only thing you need to input is direction and limit switches if you want to automatically stop at end of travel. Let me know if you want the sources.
-george
Offline cgarlati  
#3 Posted : 23 June 2008 22:47:13(UTC)
cgarlati

George,

Thank you for the prompt reply. Stepper motor sounds like a great idea. Is the movement smooth enough for a crane?
Please feel free to post or send me any info you may have on motor, controller, and sources - see my email below with extraspaces.

How's your bridge coming along?

Thank you

Cesare

C e s a r e G a r l a t i @ c o m c a s t . n e t
Offline hgk  
#4 Posted : 24 June 2008 11:21:19(UTC)
hgk

Hi Cesare,
I see I misspelled your name earlier, my apologies for the error.
Here's a link to the controller datasheet.
http://www.allelectronic...ssets//spec/EDE-1200.pdf
If you look at the run mode tables you can see the rpm's available when using it in the self operating mode. I'm using the 2003A driver interface.
I'll take a movie of it operating at a couple of different speeds and post it somewhere so you can see if it looks smooth enough.
This is the motor I bought for it. It's quite small which makes it easy to fit in a shed etc.
http://www.allelectronic...R-STEPPER-MOTOR/-/1.html

I got enthusiatic about building my layout so the bridge is on hold for awhile as I comb the beach for small pebbles to make rock walls. Also messed around with various casting processes before realizing that I could make additional originals much faster, easier, and nicer than making castings (except for rock faces). I did get some brass work done on the bridge earlier in the year so perhaps making the movie will inspire me to get back to it.

I'll get back to you next week with a movie link.
-George
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by cgarlati
<br />George,

Thank you for the prompt reply. Stepper motor sounds like a great idea. Is the movement smooth enough for a crane?
Please feel free to post or send me any info you may have on motor, controller, and sources - see my email below with extraspaces.

How's your bridge coming along?

Thank you

Cesare

C e s a r e G a r l a t i @ c o m c a s t . n e t
Offline hgk  
#5 Posted : 28 June 2008 05:51:30(UTC)
hgk

Hi,
Let's see if this link works:
http://photobucket.com/v...erwcounterweight.flv?o=1
This video shows the stepper motor pulling a crane car at two different speeds. One is 9.1 rpm, the slowest full step speed, and the other is 36.4 rpm which is 4 times faster. Be aware that the ips of travel is determined by the rpm as well as the size of the reel you put on the motor shaft. The one I made is pretty small, about 1/8" dia. to about 1/4" dia when loaded up with string. I used 3 small craft magnets on the open end of the string as a counterweight. The motor runs very smoothly and any jitter is from my cheesy setup. If you haven't seen the spec sheet, the controller can provide 8 ranges from 9.1 to 70.6 rpm.

I also tried a pull-pull setup - unwinding the string to one side of the car while the string on the other side gets reeled up, but I didn't have any tensioners so it didn't come out as good. Again it's the difference between 1/2 of the reel having little string when the other half is nearly full, which causes a lot of lead/lag type of jitter. I'm sure it would work just as well as the cwt. if it has tensioners taking up any slack. Maybe elastic thread would work. You would want to pull-pull if you don't have the option of using a vertical counterweight. When using a cwt, the cwt keeps tension and eliminates any slacking and is a lot easier to set up etc.

Let me know if you have any questions or don't understand my homemade terminology.
-George