Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline spitzenklasse  
#1 Posted : 12 April 2008 06:02:33(UTC)
spitzenklasse

while cleaning these models, I have noticed the motors look small, and cheap. The DE3/6 seetal heats up fast if you run it more than half speed. Has anyone else noticed? The seetal also buzzes at very low start-up speeds.
Offline jvuye  
#2 Posted : 12 April 2008 13:12:01(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hi Roman and Co
Indeed thay are small and look cheap!
I am not too worried with the Seetal Crocodile or its sibbling the SBB Ee 3/3 switcher, which are relatively light and will never be heavily loaded anyway.
But I am truly concerned with the ICE 3, which seems to labour climbing with a full consist of 7 cars. That motor gets very hot after 5 minutes of running.
The buzzing is less of a worry as it is the result of the pulsed output on the decoder, which at low RPM causes a resonance in the motor. In fact in the case of the ICE3, it is strikingly prototypical!
Looks like Marklin is moving more and more away from their bullet proof historic motor design.
I can understand the cost reduction imperatives Märklin is faced with, but I treat the new motors with caution, and would think twice before having these new loks pull any of the prototypical length freight trains (80 axles +) that I love so much.
True also is that I did a "burn in test" with the first Re 485 SBB Cargo low cost loko when it came out in 2005 and I must say that it passed the test with flying colors. (I stopped after 168 hours continuous running at 75% throtle with 40 axles load. I just stopped the lok briefly once a day to check the lubrication).
Thus I am "subjectively" worried with the "cheap looking" motorization, although my isolated test seems to tell me that my worries are probably unfounded.
Time will tell.

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline spitzenklasse  
#3 Posted : 12 April 2008 18:34:21(UTC)
spitzenklasse

Thank's for your reply Jaques. I only have the 5 car ICE 3 set-up, so I've never had the heat problem. I have seen one problem with someone running 7 on the NS version. It would just stop at random, as if it were a short.
Offline spitzenklasse  
#4 Posted : 12 April 2008 18:35:49(UTC)
spitzenklasse

PS.,oh by the way, I wish I were who you greeted me as above!