Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Caplin  
#1 Posted : 20 January 2008 17:56:14(UTC)
Caplin

Hi,

I am setting up a shuttle train as per the updated CS manual, but I cannot make it work.

What happens is that the setup as per para 3.4.1 (pg. 34) is ok, but things go wrong in para 3.4.2 at 2nd dot: Place the train at station 1 or run the train to this station. At this point the loco controller has already lost control of the selected loco! Nothing happens on the speedgraph when turning the red knob and hence no movement of the loco. The small shuttle sign is not appearing above the speed graph.

I can then cancel the shuttle train by the command End shuttle train (and delete the s88 setup), but the loco controller does not regain contol of the loco. This to happen requires a shut down of the CS first.

My test setup is very simple, a short straight C-track with two circuit tracks (#24994) as braking points b) and d) wired to port 1 and 2 of a Viessmann 5217 s88 decoder.

I have no experience what so ever with the s88 bus and capabilities, so I am quite blank on this problem. I cannot see what else I can do.

One thing that puzzles me is what is described by Bigdaddy in the quote below. I cannot find this note in my manual <s>and I am not sure if the ground of a Viessmann decoder is the two ports marked capital t (T). Unfortunately the lay-in paper does not tell much.</s>
Edited: These two T terminals are in fact ground (brown). I connected one to track ground, but this makes no difference - same poor result! [:(]

Help on this one very much appreciated. Thank you.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bigdaddynz on 2008/01/13 : 02:29:05 in topic s 88 not talking to CS
<br />Neal, as per the CS Update Manual "Important: The ground for the first S88 module must be connected to the ground for the track (brown)". Did you connect the first S88 in this method? Also do you see any details in the S88 Configuration in the 'Components in the System' menu in the CS Setup menu?
Regards,
Benny - Outsider and MFDWPL

UserPostedImage
Offline Kenneth_H  
#2 Posted : 20 January 2008 22:04:57(UTC)
Kenneth_H

I dont have a S88 but I think the T on viessmann is ground
Regards,
Kenneth
Offline clapcott  
#3 Posted : 20 January 2008 22:15:09(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Benny,
I cannot fully understand your description, Do you have an s88 issue or a throttle issue

I have had (related) issues that smell of a software bug in the throttle&lt;&gt;Loco ownership/reservation area. (not just the shuttle function)

Can you please report
- CS code level
- How many Locos are defined
- Do you have multi ownership enabled
- How many shuttles have you defined
- Do you have any of the s88 inputs, that you use for shuttle stops, also being used to set routes.

And just to check, ignoring the shuttle operation, does the appropriate s88 box on the CS display indicate its state correctly (filled in) when you jumper its input to the T?

Personally I would not invest time in the shuttle function as provided, it is too restricting

Peter
Offline Caplin  
#4 Posted : 21 January 2008 00:12:37(UTC)
Caplin

Hej Peter,

Thanks for your reply. I have the following answers to your questions:

Can you please report
- CS code level
HW 1.2 - SW 2.0.3
- How many Locos are defined
only one
- Do you have multi ownership enabled
no (enable transfer of control to other ops - no check mark)
- How many shuttles have you defined
one
- Do you have any of the s88 inputs, that you use for shuttle stops, also being used to set routes.
no, the set up is just 5 straight tracks having a circuit track at each end.

And just to check, ignoring the shuttle operation, does the appropriate s88 box on the CS display indicate its state correctly (filled in) when you jumper its input to the T?
No, may be a problem is here unless you mean if I see 8 or 16 squares. I see 16 empty squares - just like the pic. on page 34 center, right. Could it be that the two ports I have used should be filled in, with an X may be? I have tried with ports 01 and 02, later with 07 and 08. BTW I have not jumpered the inputs of the s88 to the T port. The T port is jumpered to the track ground - brown circuit.
(Actually the T is supposed to be seen rotated 180 degrees forming a ground symbol).

The only reason for setting up a shuttle is to learn about the s88 bus system. It seems simple and well defined for a test.

Skipping the shuttle setup, how else can I test the s88 bus system in the CS?
I understand that I get a ground from the switch track to an input port of the s88 decoder on to the s88 bus into the CS. Then what?
Is there somewhere I can read about practical use of it?

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

UserPostedImage
Offline Caplin  
#5 Posted : 21 January 2008 00:50:09(UTC)
Caplin

Thank you Peter. You directed me to the solution. The key point in you reply was the 3rd issue about ownership.
I gave the ownership away without allowing multi ownership.
Once I checked the "enable transfer of control to other ops" it works. The loco runs repeatedly forward/backward as it is supposed to do.
SmileSmile
Regards,

UserPostedImage
Offline clapcott  
#6 Posted : 21 January 2008 08:10:40(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Benny,
Glad to hear.

Not sure that this is how it is meant to work but the last time I worked a simlar issue I believe it was the fact that I TOO only had one loco defined. Not sure, but there seems to be some kind of interaction.

re the s88 - Yes you should be able to use the display to check an s88 port by seeing it "fillin" when a sensor is active (It is not responsive enough to see a short pulse that a moving train would cause.
Peter
Offline Caplin  
#7 Posted : 21 January 2008 19:22:48(UTC)
Caplin

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by clapcott
<br />re the s88 - Yes you should be able to use the display to check an s88 port by seeing it "fillin" when a sensor is active (It is not responsive enough to see a short pulse that a moving train would cause.
Hi Peter.

I see what you mean, so for the benefit of other members that might be "struggling" with this I show the screen. I simply parked the loco on the switch connected to port 7 while taking the picture. Port numbers are counted from right to left.

Also make a worthwhile note in your updated CS manual under 3.4.1 Setting up Shuttle Routes on pg. 34:
Allow multi operators' control - refer to 6.1 Other settings (pg. 39) righthand col. It will not work without this setting!

UserPostedImage
Regards,

UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 19 July 2008 10:11:25(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Caplin
<br />I cannot find this note in my manual

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bigdaddynz on 2008/01/13 : 02:29:05 in topic s 88 not talking to CS
<br />Neal, as per the CS Update Manual "Important: The ground for the first S88 module must be connected to the ground for the track (brown)". Did you connect the first S88 in this method? Also do you see any details in the S88 Configuration in the 'Components in the System' menu in the CS Setup menu?

The note is in section 2.2.9 of the updated CS manual, i.e. the manual that includes all the updated v2.0 CS features. It is in italics, right next to the picture of the s88 bus.