Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Caplin  
#1 Posted : 17 December 2007 22:51:01(UTC)
Caplin

Hi,

Some of my turnout motors give a buzzing noise when activated in one direction. The turnout points are shifted correctly but the buzzing continues for a short period after. There is no buzzing in the opposite direction from the same motor.

It this a known issue and is there a solution confused

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Benny - Outsider and MFDWPL

UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#2 Posted : 17 December 2007 23:21:17(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Is this the one under C track. In which case give it a clean and make sure no ballast or scatter material is cuaght under the C track.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Caplin  
#3 Posted : 18 December 2007 01:30:48(UTC)
Caplin

Thanks David,

Nothing found underneath the C-bed.
The turnout points are shifted correctly. Hand shifting is going ever so smoothly - no mechanical obstruction.

As far as I know there are no adjustments available for the motor assy. so may be it is just something to accept as is. It does work correctly, but it is an irritating noise. [:(!]

Regards,

UserPostedImage
Offline Hoffmann  
#4 Posted : 18 December 2007 02:58:23(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   
Views messages in topic : 1,106

Hello Benny,

How many of those Turnout Motors are buzzing ??

If the micro switch which shuts off the Coil is defective it will buzz as long as you activate the Turnout Motor.

Martin
marklin-eh
Offline clapcott  
#5 Posted : 18 December 2007 07:30:27(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
How are you activating the point? manual, k83w/Keyboard, k83w/Memory, k83w/PC .............
Peter
Offline Caplin  
#6 Posted : 18 December 2007 15:40:33(UTC)
Caplin

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hoffmann
<br />
Hello Benny,

How many of those Turnout Motors are buzzing ??

If the micro switch which shuts off the Coil is defective it will buzz as long as you activate the Turnout Motor.

Martin
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by clapcott<br />
How are you activating the point? manual, k83w/Keyboard, k83w/Memory, k83w/PC .............
Hello Martin, Peter. Thanks for your replies.

6 out of 31 have this buzzing, a couple of them do it only occationally (1 every 10 times may be).

I did not realize that there is a micro switch to cut off the pulse. Does that mean, that there are two u.sw.'s - one for each direction confused
Is there a reposition adjustment of the u.sw. confused

I activate the turn outs either one by one from the CS touch screen or serially determined by the route setup in the CS. In either case they are buzzing.

I have a mix of k83 and inbuild decoders. I have not established if the failing ones are all via k83 or build in decoders or a mix there of.

Regards,

UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 18 December 2007 15:48:56(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I operate my turnout motors conventionally, with a control box, and some of them buzz as well.

It seems to be random. Some motors do it all the time in one or the other direction. Some motors never buzz. They always do the job and switch the turnout, though.

I just live with it!

Ray
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline hemau  
#8 Posted : 18 December 2007 15:57:59(UTC)
hemau

Hi Benny,
The buzzing is probably caused because the motor is still activated. In the CS you can set the length of the motoroperation from 250, 500 or more milliseconds. Normally 500 ms is enough, after that the motor should stop working and stop buzzing.
It is normal that it only buzzes in maybe one position, depending on the exact position of the moving part inside the coils.

I don't know of any micro-switch in M* turnout motors.

Another thought is that the sort of pulse is not correct set. In the CS you can choose for two types of pulse, if I'm correct, and if you choose the wrong one, maybe the CS and decoder are feeding power to the turnout-motor constantly. That should not be done, not that the motor will burn directly, but it could harm the decoder and it costs a lot of power. And it will buzz constantly in some position.

Regards, Henk.
C and M track; CS1R and 2 MS
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#9 Posted : 18 December 2007 16:47:57(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Yes there is. The motors have end shutoff contacts, meaning, when the motor reaches the end, the power to the coil is not needed and then should be cut automaticly. I guess this is what fails; for example, the motor reaches end an shuts off, but bounces, gets power again, reached power, and so forth. Bouncing is a known problem with first series motors.

The decoders deliver DC, so if you hear buzzing, it's not AC. The only thing I can thing of is such a bouncing.

Fix? Try insert a resistor, so the motor gets less power, much enough to do it's work. I have a suggestion of value.

/Lars
Offline Caplin  
#10 Posted : 18 December 2007 17:04:07(UTC)
Caplin

Hi Ray, Henk. Thanks for your replies.

I take your point that buzzing is not unnormal. I was merely inquiring as I was worried about some turn outs might be harmed by the buzzing. Apparently they don't. As said previously they never fail a complete movement of the switching part.

I checked the CS setup and the pulse Duration is set to 250 ms (factory default - the lowest value possible). The other setting (wrong type of pulse) is Button. This is set to Switch but is dimmed, so it cannot be altered.

I am still curious about the mentioning by Martin of a micro switch. Perhaps it is not a traditionel component.
Regards,

UserPostedImage
Offline Caplin  
#11 Posted : 18 December 2007 17:17:12(UTC)
Caplin

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Lars Westerlind
<br />Yes there is. The motors have end shutoff contacts, meaning, when the motor reaches the end, the power to the coil is not needed and then should be cut automaticly. I guess this is what fails; for example, the motor reaches end an shuts off, but bounces, gets power again, reached power, and so forth. Bouncing is a known problem with first series motors.

The decoders deliver DC, so if you hear buzzing, it's not AC. The only thing I can thing of is such a bouncing.

Fix? Try insert a resistor, so the motor gets less power, much enough to do it's work. I have a suggestion of value.

/Lars
Hi Lars. Thanks for your reply.

This explanation sounds very reasonable to me. I think I will experiment with that fix. All my motors are less than 2-3 years old, so they could hardly be of the first series.

What is your suggestion of value confused (or did you leave out a no wink
Regards,

UserPostedImage
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#12 Posted : 18 December 2007 17:27:41(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

:-) Yes, that little word no. Nothing to speak about, is it? I don't know. The pulse might be of about 1A in rough figures, indikating the restistor should be small, but should take some watt's. Does anyone remember; didn't Märklin recommend something?
/Lars
Offline clapcott  
#13 Posted : 18 December 2007 21:16:26(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Benny,

Because of the point motor design (I wont strictly say bad but it could be better) It needs to work well with a range of mechanical resistances as well as poissible voltage drop over the layout. Early productions had one switch only.

If anything, it is the buzzing ones that are working well with good powerfeed and light turnout resistance. Marklin ship a resistor with each k83 to help overcome this "if the k83 is wired close to the CU" by reducing the grunt in the puls. But make sure you still get a reliable throw of the switch.
I will take buzzing anyday over a potential derailment unfortunately, however it is still possible (if not an undesirable side effect) that when power stops the actuator is in the bounceback position and the tounge of the point floating.
One other suggestion, as you are using the CS, is to alter the pulse time for the magnet. However this will affect both directions and the load may not be symetrical.

If (as I would recommend) you are thinking of using seperate booster to drive your accessories (k83/k84) in order to prevent the pulse causing your locomotive lights to dim. Then totally bypassing the switch is an option. As long as your pulses are indeed just pulses (as compared to a permant on state caused by a shoe siting on a contact/circuit track) then you will get a single firm switch.

And just something nagging me about your description - As Lars said the k83 provides a DC pulse so we are working on the basis that the buzz is mechanical and the result of uSw cutoff AND bounceback. This buzzing should be short lived as the actuator will eventually come to rest in the correct place.
If the buzzing does not quieten (change pitch) even within the fraction of a second I would have to wonder if an AC component was getting in .......
Make sure the metal case of your point motor is not touching the rail under the track . By itself this is not a problem but if the circuit board within the casing is also contacting the metal case it may make an unwanted circuit.
Peter
Offline hemau  
#14 Posted : 18 December 2007 22:58:37(UTC)
hemau

<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Lars Westerlind
<br />Yes there is. The motors have end shutoff contacts, meaning, when the motor reaches the end, the power to the coil is not needed and then should be cut automaticly.

I just checked this question with an occasionally unused C-track motor. Unlike my well-known M-track motors, it has indeed a switch-off in eiter end position. So if the switch keeps buzzing, it is either not in the end position, it is bouncing or something else is wrong.

With a CS and a pulse time of 250 ms., there should be no buzzing longer then 250 ms anyway if things are OK. 250 ms is a veeeerrry short time.

Hope this helps getting things clear.

Regards, Henk
C and M track; CS1R and 2 MS
Offline Caplin  
#15 Posted : 19 December 2007 04:51:53(UTC)
Caplin

Hi Peter, Henk.
Thanks for your replies.

So far I never had de-railing due to the switch points floating midway between end positions.

I cannot as suggested decrease pulse duration, it is already at the lowest possible value - 250 ms.

Once I get a permanent larger layout I will have to separate the accessories from the track power using boosters.

As for the switching itself, it is done very quickly and the buzzing is heard briefly after completion in what seems to be more like half a second, but is probably no more than the 250 ms supplied by the CS.

I have pinpointed the worst motor and opened it to see the cut-off u.sw.'s. It is located in a 3-way turnout and buzzes everytime
in one direction.

It is easy to see the u.sw.'s - 1 in each end on this pic.:

UserPostedImage

To my surprise it does not buzz at all when it is taken out and the covers have been removed. It looks like some mechanical binding when assembled.

I will return later with the result when it is re-assembled and re-installed.
Regards,

UserPostedImage
Offline Kenneth_H  
#16 Posted : 19 December 2007 04:56:40(UTC)
Kenneth_H

My only buzzing motor is in the three way turnout too. Also in one direction.
Regards,
Kenneth
Offline Caplin  
#17 Posted : 19 December 2007 12:33:55(UTC)
Caplin

As said earlier, when the motor was stripped off of the two metal covers there was no buzzing. Then with the covers re-installed but the motor still in my hand - no buzzing. When put back in the 3-way turnout - buzzing 9 out of 10 times in the one direction only, as before.

When the motor was moved to one 24711 slim turnout - no buzzing!

Then a new motor was installed in the 3-way - no buzzing!

Conclusion: perhaps some tolerences on both turnout and motor, skewed from zero values, working against each other. I swapped a number of motors around last night - took hours - but I am almost buzzing-less now [:0] and satisfied biggrin.
Could only do it because I still have a floor layout, I guess.

Regards,

UserPostedImage
Offline renevoorburg  
#18 Posted : 26 December 2007 17:00:46(UTC)
renevoorburg

Interesting topic. I happen to have one buzzing turnout. It is the only one (of 6) connected to a K83 decoder (others have their own decoder). It also happens to be the only one for which the motor is connected to the turnout with only one screw.

Following this discussion and the conclusion about mechanical tollerances, I assume that adding a screw might solve the problem (and not changing the decoder, or pulse times).

Rene
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#19 Posted : 26 December 2007 22:39:35(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

I find it quite natural that you get the buzzing when there is a particular relationsship between mechanical properties, and eletrical. If you remove for example some mechanical load, you change the system.

My first theory was that it was just a "bounce", but it might also be problem with the spring between motor and switch tongue. You could check if it's possible to move the arm further when the switching has been done. But I'm not sure if you can access it when installed.

Renes idea is also good. I recall that I have sometimes been able to make turnouts work better by loosen one of the screws, make sure that the turnout lies flat without mechanical stress, and such.

/Lars
Offline renevoorburg  
#20 Posted : 26 December 2007 23:09:33(UTC)
renevoorburg

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:
Following this discussion and the conclusion about mechanical tollerances, I assume that adding a screw might solve the problem

It did!

Cheers, Rene
Offline Caplin  
#21 Posted : 27 December 2007 00:44:48(UTC)
Caplin

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by renevoorburg
<br />Interesting topic. I happen to have one buzzing turnout. It is the only one (of 6) connected to a K83 decoder (others have their own decoder). It also happens to be the only one for which the motor is connected to the turnout with only one screw.

Following this discussion and the conclusion about mechanical tollerances, I assume that adding a screw might solve the problem (and not changing the decoder, or pulse times).
Rene

I have always fixed the motor with the two screws supplied as it is supposed to, but one might benefit from loosening one or both screws a tiny bit.

Regards,

UserPostedImage