Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline db216  
#1 Posted : 09 December 2007 07:16:32(UTC)
db216

Australia   
Hi to all.
I recently purchased a mobile station from ebay to see the
benifits it would have over the 6021 control with the view to trading up to the central station in time to come. The instructions in the ms
say that solonoid accessories must be totally independent from the ms/
cs set up. I run only the trains digitally on a mixture of m track and k track and still control the signals points etc manually or with circuit tracks but with their own power supply. On the 6021 system I had the negative wires(brown)all conected together, so my question is this: Can I still run the circuit tracks that are existing with the new cs or ms. I cannot think of how to keep the power supplies totally seperate if the m track circuit tracks contact the rails/base for a negative contact.
Also many thanks still for previous info gleaned from these pages over the last few years.Smile
Hope some one can help.
Rob.
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#2 Posted : 09 December 2007 07:54:40(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Yes you can.
What differens from the past, is that with MS and CS you should not connect anything else to the power source. No problem with MS; it's power source has this special plug which doens't encourage for connecting anything else. I would suggest you take a brown cable from the analog system and connect it to the connection track; that is where the "brown" from the MS first occurs.

Longer answer is that 6021 and older had internal connection between browns as well, but the power stages of MS and CS are different. You may of course connect lamps etc with no galvanic connection to the track, to the power source of you MobStat, but why take the risk of complicating these matters.

/Lars
Offline db216  
#3 Posted : 09 December 2007 08:49:13(UTC)
db216

Australia   
Thanks for your fast response Lars.
On the same note does that mean that the solonoid accessories
( signals, point lanterns on m track etc) can be earthed through the track as per the old way with the 6021. As I am part way through some changes to the layout I had an incedent where when the accessory transformers and the 6021 were disconected the lights on some of the signals were still coming on with the ms connected the sound on the loco's wouldn't work any more. When I disconnected the earth wires from the signals to the commen ground loop all was back to normal. Could the signal lights have received some power through the brown connection on the ms, ie, the track connection, not the center studs.
I'm trying to learn some more about the new M systems before I go ahead and wire the new sections.
Also, what do you mean by "galvanic", I haven't heard this term before.
Rob.
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#4 Posted : 09 December 2007 12:57:09(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Well,
I don't fully understand your situation, bit I get the feeling that the earth connection is poor if you get this kind of backward current through solenoids and the like.
It's very correct, that solenoids and the like may be earhted through track, and as said, I would recommend it. It's required for (unmodified) M turnouts, and easiest for signals with M-track, for M circuit tracks, for level crossings, I think the old turntable, lighted bumbers, and probably other things I forgot. I would suggest that all transformers are connected to a single power breaker (don't know the english), so that you always put on all power at the same time. This also allows for putting all accessory transformers in phase.
/Lars
Offline db216  
#5 Posted : 10 December 2007 10:12:02(UTC)
db216

Australia   
Thanks for your help Lars.
rob