Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Hobbit  
#1 Posted : 04 December 2007 15:52:53(UTC)
Hobbit

A little while ago I posed a question in another topic (https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=8365) which I probably should have started in a new topic. So here I go:

Some time ago I took one of my Marklin MFX locos to a friend's place where his LokProgrammer could not recognise the decoder, so we could not change anything. However his LokProgrammer works for him with other ESU decoders such as LP3. From this we concluded that the LokProgrammer could not change Marklin MFX.

However from the discussion in the referenced topic it would seem that the LokProgrammer can change Marklin MFX decoders, except in some configurations. Is this correct? If it is correct then which situations cause it not work? Or in other words: what are the limitations of LokProgrammer in programming Marklin MFX decoders?

PS: We were able to change setting with a 6021 so the MFX decoder is not faulty.
There is no place like The Shire...
Offline Hemmerich  
#2 Posted : 05 December 2007 01:23:46(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hobbit
Or in other words: what are the limitations of LokProgrammer in programming Marklin MFX decoders?

Hi Hobbit,

simple answer - enough power. wink

Just unplug the mfx decoder from the loco, place it either onto a test stand or any other suitable NEM or 21-pin adapter; you should then easily be able to read and modify the decoder. wink
Offline Hobbit  
#3 Posted : 05 December 2007 03:50:14(UTC)
Hobbit

Thanks Lutz, but I do not fully understand what you mean by not enough power. Do you mean "power" as in functionality or "power" as in elecrtic wattage?

The tests we did was on an isolated track with no other locos or devices attached but it still came up with "decoder not recognised".

Are you suggesting that it is necessary to physically extract the decoder from the loco and hooking it up to the LokProgrammer, make the change, and then install back into the loco? (A process one would have to do several times if one is adjusting acceleration/decelation and top speed.) Why does it not work with the decoder left in the loco?
Offline pa-pauls  
#4 Posted : 07 December 2007 11:07:12(UTC)
pa-pauls

Hi Hobbit Smile

I have just got my new LokProgrammer and Test stand and after reading your question
I tried with a Märklin mfx decoder from my Br.03 and it work just fine, no problem
to read the decoder with the LokProgrammer and the Test stand [:p]
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline Hemmerich  
#5 Posted : 07 December 2007 12:20:53(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hobbit
<br />Thanks Lutz, but I do not fully understand what you mean by not enough power. Do you mean "power" as in functionality or "power" as in elecrtic wattage?

Both. If you modify any mfx decoder using the CS (or even the MS) everything is ok.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Are you suggesting that it is necessary to physically extract the decoder from the loco and hooking it up to the LokProgrammer, make the change, and then install back into the loco? (A process one would have to do several times if one is adjusting acceleration/decelation and top speed.) Why does it not work with the decoder left in the loco?

The LokProgrammer issue "only" exposes on locos which have some additional electronics on board; the LokProgrammer is not (yet) able to cope with that. For those you'll have to either extract the decoder (and place it for example onto the ESU decoder tester or alike) or use a CS. If it's only about changing the factory preset ACC/DEC or VMAX any MM/mfx digital controller would be sufficient, like the 6021, IB or MS. It can be assumed that any of such controllers is present in order to run the model. wink
Offline Hobbit  
#6 Posted : 09 December 2007 13:37:41(UTC)
Hobbit

Thank you Lutz & Pal for your replies. Very interesting observation. The loco in question is ET833/834 (37266)and yes it has some additional electronics ie: directional lights that change colour and interior lighting on F1.

Looks like I might have to take all my MFX locos to my friends place and do some more thorough investigating on which can be read and which can't.

Pal, which BR03 did you test? Does that loco have "extra" MFX features? Perhaps the newer LokProgrammers work better than the earlier.

In case you were wondering why I ask this, it is because my 6021 has a fault in that it cannot reprogramme decoders (but otherwise works ok), and it is probably uneconomic to repair. I don't have MS or CS either. As I have a number of LP3 decoders a LokProgrammer would be a solution but only if it works with Marklin MFX as well.
Offline pa-pauls  
#7 Posted : 09 December 2007 13:45:28(UTC)
pa-pauls

Hi Hobbit Smile

It was a Br. 03 from the starer set 29830 and I had the mfx decoder taken out
of the loco tender and put on the ESU 51900 Test stand to make sure it would work Cool

Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline Omo  
#8 Posted : 15 December 2007 23:08:48(UTC)
Omo

I have actually managed to program my BR 01 (Mä 39010 with compact sinus motor and mfx) with my Lokprogrammer several times. When programming, the program sometimes show a fault message - however, mostly the programming is done anyway. If not - just try once more. The newest software for Lokprogrammer seems to do it better.

I have been told by ESU/Loksound that the problems lies with the sinus motor electronics. This is why they advice you to take the decoder out and connect it to a test bench or another non-sinus motor. A mfx decoder controlling an older motor should work well.