Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline countrylink  
#1 Posted : 09 September 2007 04:43:34(UTC)
countrylink

Australia   
This is my first post so hello to all.I am in the process of selling off my american trains at the moment and getting into european either marklin or trix.Just one question can i use my NCE Powercab with Marklin or trix locos or will have to sell this as well?Thanks
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 09 September 2007 05:41:24(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Hi Peter, welcome to the forum. The answer to your question is that you most likely will not be able to use your existing controller, especially if it does not have Motorola Marklin as one of its protocols, as this is what most Marklin locos understand. Marklin also has a new protocol called MFX, which only the Central Station uses. I believe Trix locos use DCC. If you want multiprotocol, then use either the Ecos, or the Intellibox - both use Motorola Marklin and DCC, but neither have MFX.
If you are going to use exclusively Marklin, then go for the Central Station. Cheers.

You could use your Powercab with Marklin, if you were able to replace the decoders in the Marklin locos with the ESU Lokpilot / Loksound series of decoders, as they understand bothe Marklin Motorola and DCC. However, you may not be able to replace the decoder in all Marklin models.
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#3 Posted : 09 September 2007 09:39:20(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

IMHO that was a good but half answer. The question included Trix, which nowadays normally either has NMRA plugs, or built in decoders who are at least DCC (sometimes multicprotocol). I would guess your command station is a DCC station.

So your main choice is if you should go 2-rail (Trix, Fleischmann, Roco, Piko etc in Europe) or 3-rail (Märklin). Märklin is far bigger, and at this forum we (still) honour Märklins quality, even though also M is becoming more "modern" in the aspect.

/Lars
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 09 September 2007 11:26:02(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Lars, the Powercab is DCC, that's why I alluded to being able to use DCC if the standard decoders in Marklin locos are replaced.

I'm not that familiar with Trix, but am aware that they are mainly DCC locos (see my post above - "I believe Trix locos use DCC".) - the Trix Central Station is DCC is it not?
Offline steventrain  
#5 Posted : 09 September 2007 11:27:21(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Welcome to the forum, Peter.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline countrylink  
#6 Posted : 09 September 2007 12:40:20(UTC)
countrylink

Australia   
Thanks for the replies gents.I am leaning towards M just for the amount of items one can buy so i may have to bite the bullit and sell the powercab
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 09 September 2007 13:05:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Cheers Peter. I note you are in Sydney, so if you are not as yet aware there are 2 Marklin dealers in your area:-

Hobbyco in the Queen Victoria building in Sydney - http://www.hobbyco.com.au/
and Train Trader, out by the Pymble station - http://www.traintrader.com.au/

Also in Queensland there is Nathan's Trains and Toys - http://www.trainsntoys.com.au/

In NZ we have Toottoot - www.toottoot.co.nz

Then there's always eBay, Trademe (www.trademe.co.nz - a NZ site similar to ebay), and the Lokshop in Germany - www.lokshop.de