Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline huttel  
#1 Posted : 01 September 2007 15:02:32(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi all

I am looking for a good database program to keep documentation of my MRR particulary my rolling stock.

Anybody have experiences they would like to share on how you manage your collection and recommandations of good product and solutions?

//Thomas
Carpe Diem!
Märklin HO | Insider | C-Track | Digital | Primarilly DK & D | Era III+IV | PC Control with CS2 (60215), Intellibox & Win-Digipet | http://huttel.dk/marklin
Offline Maxi  
#2 Posted : 01 September 2007 16:12:32(UTC)
Maxi

Currently I have my information stored in an Excel spreadsheet. Pictures of the items when possible are stored in a separate folder per manufacturer. For locomotives I also downloaded or scanned in the exploded parts diagrams when possible. Lastly I also captured the dealer price and despription of product where I purchsed the item into a pdf format so I can enter the specs and description of product. For Marklin and Trix I also captured the information from the product database program in pdf format. Also I kept all paperwork of purchases and actual pages from the catalogs in a box for further reference.

I did this so I could either make a database program of purchase one when I found one that met my interest.

I have tried the Wincat program and found that it was somewhat clumsy and the pictures were of rather poor quality, hence the saving my own list of pictures.

What I am looking for in a database program is something that is very easy to use and hopefully one that could integrate into some of the major layout control programs for the added benifits of updating information both ways for inventory, locomotive addresses, hours of use, consit recomendations.

Also a bonus would be if the major track planning programs could pickup the inventory part of the tracks, structures, and rolling stock so that examples can be used to get a visual of your next master piece.

Maxi
Offline tekin65  
#3 Posted : 01 September 2007 16:16:05(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Thomas hi,

I have been tinkering on writing a program for the purposes you just suggested. If you can supply me with a white paper (i.e. what sort of functionality), i can start writing it - making it available for free later on (if comes alive, program will be written in Java with embedded hsql or mysql database - 100% platform-free).

Important input would be things like: would you like to have PDF documents in the database. Any images? Currency types? etc.

Regards,

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline intruder  
#4 Posted : 01 September 2007 16:19:37(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
I use the Märklin-Software "Archiv", no. 60520

In addition, to be able to keep track of all decoder settings, service dates, convertions etc., I have made an xls-file, with one sheet per model. It makes it quite easy to make different statistics.

For track planning I have the Märklin 60521 "Gleisplanung 2D/3D".
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline MarioFabro  
#5 Posted : 01 September 2007 18:29:53(UTC)
MarioFabro

United States   
I also have all my locos stored on an excel spreadsheet, mostly to remember the decoder settings. You can see an image if you scroll down on this thread:
https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...s&t=3213&whichpage=7

I have to expand that spreadsheet to include loco settings (speed, functions, etc.) and I also linked it to the explose PDF's of those locos (you can get them from the M* website) but a major crash erased that document, along with other data, such as a file where I had all my C track components and I was comaring that list to the "grocery list" you get from a track building software (I have WInTrack). Have to rebuild all of that [:(]

My plan would be to have as much info as possible of excel and periodically (like once a week) back it up on a dedicated jump-drive (or two.. safety is always paramount wink)

I also store all paper documentation, however I am not the most organized train collector wink. I also purchase online or at hobby shops using a credit card and the statement that they send you at the end of the year comes very handy to summarize all your hobby expenses. On e-bay I use mostly pay-pal and they keep record of your payments as well. The whole should give me a good record of how much I spent on trains (not that I want to know, otherwise I could probably afford a new BMW!!). I plan on saving this info somewhere also for insurance purposes (again, when my lazyness gets around doing it).
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageEra IV-VI --- "If you have brains you love trains" or "When I grow up, I will play with trains"
Offline DaleSchultz  
#6 Posted : 01 September 2007 19:03:50(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I see that some of you like to keep track of loco decoder settings too. Without an automated way of tracking such settings that could become pretty tedious so I have a suggestion for those who have a Windows PC connected to an Intellibox.... If you download my BWlite software, you can use the software to save all the decoder settings of your DCC decoders to a text file. You can attach that text file to your database entry for the loco. The software is at http://bw.mixmox.com

To document each decoder, place the loco on the programming track and use the decoder programming function to read all the CVs.And then dump them to a log file like this:
UserPostedImage

See http://debale.home.comcast.net/bw/manual.htm#DCC

You can also save your Intellibox Special option settings to get output as follows:
Log from Bw 1.01 build 73 SPU: 1.203 Serial 1000002125 2005-09-24
SO 0 = 255
SO 1 = 2
SO 2 = 0
SO 3 = 0
SO 4 = 0
SO 5 = 2
SO 6 = 254
SO 7 = 88
SO 8 = 18
SO 9 = 0
SO 10 = 6
SO 11 = 50
SO 12 = 0
SO 13 = 3
SO 14 = 20
SO 15 = 1
SO 16 = 0
SO 17 = 5
SO 18 = 100
SO 19 = 1
SO 20 = 1
etc
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline intruder  
#7 Posted : 01 September 2007 19:39:11(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
A low resolution screenshot from the excel sheet for my 3336:

UserPostedImage

The left part:
Overview of the functions. Any changes in the default CS function settings (light intencity, dimmer, zoom etc.) are noted as remark in the cells.

The center part:
The decoder settings

The right part:
List of maintance work and other informations.
grumpy old sod
Offline rugauger  
#8 Posted : 01 September 2007 19:51:49(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
I can recommend iCollectTrains - see http://www.icollecttrain...ollectTrains/Voorpagina/ (click on the English flag)
Richard
Offline Mikael  
#9 Posted : 01 September 2007 22:32:53(UTC)
Mikael

Denmark   
iCollectTrains also gets my vote. By the way, some of us Märklin-Users were "recruited" to beta-test the english version back when it was made.
Offline huttel  
#10 Posted : 05 September 2007 03:32:26(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Hi all

Nice to see how you all document your collections.

I have tried to download ICollectTrains (UK version) but with no luck Cool. Am told that the page is not available. Also wrote a mail to the support but so far no answer. Using the dutch version would not really be good...

I have earlier made a simple MS Acces database to maintain the collection. Here are some screenshots for inspiration (in Danish i'm afraid wink)

Main switchboard:
UserPostedImage

Data sheet:
UserPostedImage

Multi Report (print A4):
UserPostedImage

Single Report (print A4):
UserPostedImage

Cem thank you for your offer to make a dedicated program, but writing a whitepaper would be a bit to heavy for me at the moment.

//Thomas
Carpe Diem!
Märklin HO | Insider | C-Track | Digital | Primarilly DK & D | Era III+IV | PC Control with CS2 (60215), Intellibox & Win-Digipet | http://huttel.dk/marklin
Offline intruder  
#11 Posted : 05 September 2007 19:29:24(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Very nice, Thomas.

A couple of times I have tried to make MS Acces databases (not MMR related), but I understand nothing and gave up.
grumpy old sod
Offline huttel  
#12 Posted : 08 March 2008 16:55:10(UTC)
huttel

Denmark   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by intruder
<br />Very nice, Thomas.

A couple of times I have tried to make MS Acces databases (not MMR related), but I understand nothing and gave up.

Hi Svein

You can have a copy of mine if you are interested Cool

//Thomas
Carpe Diem!
Offline ozzman  
#13 Posted : 09 March 2008 03:22:23(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
For Mac users there's a "lite" version of Filemaker Pro, which is fairly new on the market. It has its own product name, but I've forgotten what it's called. I've no real idea of what functions it has, other than that it's supposed to have a true relational database engine (like Access, only simpler and more reliable).
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline Unholz  
#14 Posted : 09 March 2008 08:37:50(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
FileMaker Bento is probably what you have in mind (not only for Macs), http://www.filemaker.com/

The HAG-UNUM model database is produced with FileMaker: http://www.stefanunholz.ch/english.html
Offline xxup  
#15 Posted : 09 March 2008 11:09:18(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I am working on one based on the OpenOffice Base software. Don't hold your breath though as it is very slow going (it has been too long since I have been hands on with software), but I believe that it can offer something that can easily be modified by others at no cost.. OpenOffice is free software that is available on many platforms - the Mac version is the same as the Linux version, which is also the same as the Windows version..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline intruder  
#16 Posted : 09 March 2008 13:57:08(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by huttel
Hi Svein

You can have a copy of mine if you are interested Cool

Yes, I would like a copy, but I do not have Access in my PC, so it would not help me much.

With my Märklin-Software "Archiv", no. 60520, I miss the possibility to print something like your "multi report" and "single report".
Otherwise I find the "Archiv" quite good.
grumpy old sod