Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline trainbuff  
#1 Posted : 21 August 2007 06:45:28(UTC)
trainbuff

Hi Everybody,

Is having a bell on a steam engine an era thing, a function thing (switching versus passenger), or what?

Was watching the br 81 go around while listening to the loksound decoder go "ding, ding, ding," and I noticed there was no bell on the locomotive!

Ok, I don't know much about German prototypes, but I though all steam loks had a bell. But only two of my loks (br 86 and br 38) have bells. BR 80, 81, 89, and 52 have no bells.

Thanks for any insights!
Offline MärCo  
#2 Posted : 21 August 2007 21:38:21(UTC)
MärCo

European steamlocomotives often doesn't have a bell, except for those running on local lines. Such lines run close to, and sometimes over the road. In that case a bell was needed to warn the traffic on the road. Since mainline locomotives doesn't run on local lines, they don't have a bell. Keep in mind that most railwaycrossings in Europ are guarded, and in Britain the road goes most of the time over or under the railwayline.
Absolutly AFB-NOHAB fan ;-)
Offline DaleSchultz  
#3 Posted : 21 August 2007 22:46:22(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
It seems that a bell is the norm for US locos but is rare for European locos.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline trainbuff  
#4 Posted : 22 August 2007 00:47:42(UTC)
trainbuff

Thanks!

Would it be unprototypical to add a bell to a locomotive if it got pressed into local service? Or were the roles of the different BR's strictly adhered to?

Specificly: could it be probable that a BR 81 might be pressed into service on a short local line and have a bell added?
Offline steamfriend  
#5 Posted : 23 August 2007 00:45:41(UTC)
steamfriend

Absolutly posssible, even very likely, Trainbuff !
Funny to know also is that these bells were air operated, not by steam Smile.

Usually they were fitted from the builders onwards, but the local directiories may have decided to have the bell added at the next general overhaul (AW- Ausbesserungswerk). A BR03 eg could be seen with a bell. The heavier machines (axial load = 20 tons) usually not, since the local lines were not adapted to the higher axial load.

Funny also is that bells were not carried by diesels or electric loks, to my knowledge.

The indication to use the bell was given to the driver by a L shield (black L on a white rectangular board), for 'Lauten'. The label P stands for whistling (Pfeiffen).

Cheers,

Bob
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 23 August 2007 01:19:07(UTC)
H0

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by steamfriend
<br />Funny also is that bells were not carried by diesels or electric loks, to my knowledge.

M*'s V 36 (37365) and V 140 both have visible bells.
With Diesel locos those bells can easily be hidden under the hood - there are lots of ventilation grills anyway.
If I remember correctly I've seen lots of L+P signs in my youth.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline dbmike  
#7 Posted : 23 August 2007 06:59:10(UTC)
dbmike

The bell thing is definalty a USA thing, all locos are required to have them by federal law. They have to be rang at grade/road crossings, inside station limits and are sometimes required whenever a locomotive is moving inside a large shunting yard. Each railroad in the USA has its own rules on bell use that cover the required by law use and railroad specific use. Cheers Mike
Due to budget shortfall, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off....mgmt.