Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hgk  
#1 Posted : 12 August 2007 01:27:34(UTC)
hgk

I would like to scratch build a bridge like this but I cannot tell from the photo how the mechanism works? The curved part looks like a pinion section but would the rack and pinion move together? If not, does the pinion rotate back and forth on the rack? I do not see a support mechanism for that to happen. Or does the rack move and rotate the pinion, again I don't see the mechanism for that either?

http://tycotrain.tripod.com/tycokits/id27.html

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
-george
Offline hgk  
#2 Posted : 12 August 2007 02:09:56(UTC)
hgk

Hi,
Never mind - it just dawned on me that its held between the outside bridgework and
rolling back and forth via the handwheel crankshaft. Fairly simple to make no less.
-george
Offline jonquinn  
#3 Posted : 12 August 2007 03:13:54(UTC)
jonquinn

Walthers made one, but I believe they are discontinued, but can occasionally be found on ebay, but probably for around $100 US.
Carsten had a nicely done book on MRR bridges that gave some limited drawing on various bridges, including bascule bridges like this one.

you could put a horsa glider next to it and make it into a "pegasus bridge" - I believe that was a bascule bridge.

Interesting note in one of the last ETE newsletters was that marklin built and operating tinplate prototype in the 50's or 60's (just like their metal bridges/cranes/turntable), but unfortunately never put it into production.
It would be nice if someone would buy rights and tooling from marklin on the old tinplate M track and accessories and put them in to limited production.
Offline Webmaster  
#4 Posted : 12 August 2007 03:58:58(UTC)
Webmaster

The pivot point would surely be at the bottom of the "track" part, and the counterweights section would not be connected to the pillar tops, so any rack cranking "action" would be right under the pivot point ideally...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline shaygetz  
#5 Posted : 12 August 2007 06:57:55(UTC)
shaygetz

It is a Scherzer Rolling Lift Bridge, hopefully that will help your research. A great picture can be found here.>>> http://www.theweebsite.c...rains/images/bridge1.jpg

I've always wanted one of the Tyco ones, now that I've seen it nearly is a scale model, I want one all the more.
"To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

---A.W. Tozer

Webpage... www.freewebs.com/shaygetz
Blog... http://misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com/
Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 13 August 2007 23:16:02(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Nice picture, shaygetz.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline MHauge  
#7 Posted : 20 August 2007 22:33:36(UTC)
MHauge

Faller produces one that looks somewhat like it, http://www.faller.de item number 120490
Märklin C-tracks, Mobile Station, Danish Ep 4
Offline MärCo  
#8 Posted : 20 August 2007 23:15:25(UTC)
MärCo

Looking at the website it is if I am looking to an old Pola catalogue. Pola was taken over by Faller, and I would not be surprised if the bridge is the same.
The brewery I know very well, but mine is from Pola.

UserPostedImage
Absolutly AFB-NOHAB fan ;-)
Offline hgk  
#9 Posted : 22 August 2007 09:26:39(UTC)
hgk

Thanks for the faller link. I was suprised (and encouraged) that that bridge costs quite a bit.
I was able to mail order a small stepper, controler chip and driver ic for about $15.us and, with a couple of switches I had laying around, worked up the control circuit for it. I also bought a belt and cog gear from the same place for the rolling drive mechanism. I could use some advice as to the best way to cut accurate thin strips from thin brass shim stock roll. I tried using an industrial shear but it was too thin and kept folding halfway down the cut. I'm thinking of something like a diamond scriber? Any and all suggestions appreciated.
This is just the first pass. I've already redone the counterweight to match the bridge photos I'm working from.
UserPostedImage
-george
Offline hgk  
#10 Posted : 22 August 2007 09:34:54(UTC)
hgk

If anyone knows why my jpeg doesn't show up please let me know and
I'll correct it. When I look at my uploads and I can see it just
fine there so it must be inserted wrong. I clicked the insert image icon and pasted the link between the 2 sets of brackets.
thanks
-george
Offline hgk  
#11 Posted : 22 August 2007 09:42:53(UTC)
hgk

One more try without the spaces in filename!
-george

UserPostedImage