Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mrmarklin  
#1 Posted : 06 August 2007 04:07:02(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
On the ETE modular layout, I have noticed incompatibility with at least two of the new Marklin items. Both # 37773 (SVT 137) and the new digital crane--the small one--not the Goliath. Has anyone else had this experience?

Is there a growing imcompatibility between the MFX protocol and the Intellibox? Both these items run fime with my MFX at home.

Dave Pryor
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 06 August 2007 04:40:32(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Hi Dave
there are some special options needed on the IB to make the digital crane work.

To operate the 46715 crane the following Intellibox Special Options must be set:
SO 902 = 16
SO 914 = 40
Furthermore the loco address that your crane uses (default is 77) must be set on the Intellibox to use the Motorola New format.
http://debale.home.comca...net/bw/manual.htm#mcrane

This has nothing to do with mfx, the mobile crane does not have an mfx decoder even.
Certainly there is no growing incompatability between the IB and mFx. The IB has never supported an mFx protocol. Some manufacturers do try to introduce such incompatabilities but since the IB supports both Motorola and DCC, any device using those (inclusing mFx decoders) should work.

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline mrmarklin  
#3 Posted : 06 August 2007 08:15:16(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by DaleSchultz
<br />Hi Dave
there are some special options needed on the IB to make the digital crane work.

To operate the 46715 crane the following Intellibox Special Options must be set:
SO 902 = 16
SO 914 = 40
Furthermore the loco address that your crane uses (default is 77) must be set on the Intellibox to use the Motorola New format.
http://debale.home.comca...net/bw/manual.htm#mcrane

This has nothing to do with mfx, the mobile crane does not have an mfx decoder even.
Certainly there is no growing incompatability between the IB and mFx. The IB has never supported an mFx protocol. Some manufacturers do try to introduce such incompatabilities but since the IB supports both Motorola and DCC, any device using those (inclusing mFx decoders) should work.

Thanks for the heads up on the Crane car. The first time I tried it on the ETE modules, it didn't work, and I exchanged it in panic mode at my local hobbyshop, where I had originally purchased it. The second one didn't work either--so I tried it at home and all was well.Smile
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 06 August 2007 22:26:56(UTC)
H0

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mrmarklin
<br />Is there a growing imcompatibility between the MFX protocol and the Intellibox? Both these items run fime with my MFX at home.

My 36880 was fully operational with CU6021.
With IB and MS it was moving forward only - reversing was not possible.
With a Delta Control it didn't move at all.

I returned it to M* - they wrote back "We cleaned it" and everything works fine now.
I suspect they did more than just cleaning...
Recently there were several complaints about the quality control at M*.

The IB only knows MM, not mfx - haven't heard of real compatiblity issues.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mrmarklin  
#5 Posted : 06 August 2007 22:42:16(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Yes the I-box does not know MFX, but supposedly the MFX loks are backward compatible to the new motorola protocol. Although if it won't work on the I-box, but will on Marklin's equipemnt, I don't see how that is Marklin's problem.
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 09 August 2007 02:59:44(UTC)
H0

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mrmarklin
<br />Yes the I-box does not know MFX, but supposedly the MFX loks are backward compatible to the new motorola protocol. Although if it won't work on the I-box, but will on Marklin's equipemnt, I don't see how that is Marklin's problem.

If a M* item works with all M* control equipment, but fails with the Intellibox then this surely is no problem for M*.
But does such an item exist?

The digital crane has no mfx - it just has a cheapo MM decoder and you may have to fiddle some special options of the Intellibox to make it work. So this is no problem for anybody.

My SVT 137 (#37772 with SDS) works fine with my Intellibox - and so do all my mfx locos. mfx decoders are manufactured by ESU and I don't expect any compatibility issues with mfx decoders.

I mentioned my #36880 - it worked with CU6021, but failed with MS, IB, and Delta Control.
This could lead to problems - e.g. if you habe a CU6021 and sell such a loco to a person with a MS (the buyer will report a problem you cannot replicate).
Or if you have a MS and return the loco to a dealer who tests it with his CU6021 - s/he cannot replicate the problem.

So there is no general compatibility problem with the IB. I'm confident that for locos misbehaving with an IB you'll also find M* control equipment where the loco misbehaves.

If a loco works on one layout with a CS and fails on another layout with an IB, the problem can still be outside the IB. For example I had switched red and brown wires in the track connection - most decoders worked reliably, but few decoders sometimes failed to respond (especially at high speeds). I had to correct the track connections when I finally bought a decoder without automatic polarity detection.
And I had a forgotten 74046 on my layout that caused problems with some decoders while others worked perfectly.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage