Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Dick  
#1 Posted : 30 July 2007 02:57:02(UTC)
Dick

A while back I purchased a 7186 Turntable which I am finally installing on my under construction layout.
It worked when I tried it out a couple of times. Now when I am seriously learning about it, I have several questions.

Is the unit meant to be able to turn past 360 degrees or must it be turned in the opposite direction at that point or sooner? It stopped on me several times between the wider stopping points. It does have a pair of contacts which seemed to be dirty which I cleaned up carefully. It get warm and smells a bit if I try to turn it more than a few normal steps in succession.

Can anyone suggest anything to check, tune up and/or watch out for. Any help or advice from my Brother or Sister Marklinites will be much appreciated. Dick
Offline drstapes  
#2 Posted : 30 July 2007 03:31:44(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
Well I don't have a turntable now, but from what I remember it should revolve indefinately in either direction. (stopping at each track). The motor is incredibly noisy and does produce that old analogue smell.
regards
Regards

Geoff (UK)

marklin HO from the 50's and 60's
Offline TTRExpress  
#3 Posted : 30 July 2007 04:36:40(UTC)
TTRExpress

United States   
Hi Dick,

I do not have a 7186 turntable, however, it should work in any direction. I am attaching a link to the instructions for this turntable ftp://ftp.marklin.com/pub/Old%20Manuals/7186.jpeg Hope this helps.

Regards (a Scot in Wisconsin)
Regards (a Scot in Wisconsin),

Maurice [ETE, TTRCA, IG-TRIX Express, Maerklin-Insider & TRIX Profi-Club]
Offline hqstu  
#4 Posted : 30 July 2007 04:45:16(UTC)
hqstu

New Zealand   
It will work in either direction indefinitely. It has a standard marklin SFCM (small flat commutator motor) which with a good clean, light oil, new brushes, checked for mechanical wear etc should perform OK. It is noisy though. You may want to consider some sort of sound isolation from the layout board it's mounted on.
Cheers

Stuart
New Zealand
Offline Dick  
#5 Posted : 30 July 2007 05:35:02(UTC)
Dick

I think it is not very practical to try and reduce the sound level. The mechanism including the gearing and motor are all rigidly attached to the turntable which is acting as a sounding board. Exactly as a music box drum and spring are amplified when mounted on a wooden base.
Offline sudibarba  
#6 Posted : 30 July 2007 06:09:47(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Mine is very loud also. Actually I have several and they all are. This whole question of noise is very interesting. Railroads are very loud. C Track vs. M track is very quiet. What do we really want? Everybody seems to talk about "prototypical" but seems to want quiet railroads.
Eric
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sudibarba
Offline Caplin  
#7 Posted : 30 July 2007 11:01:29(UTC)
Caplin

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by sudibarba
<br />Mine is very loud also. Actually I have several and they all are. This whole question of noise is very interesting. Railroads are very loud. C Track vs. M track is very quiet. What do we really want? Everybody seems to talk about "prototypical" but seems to want quiet railroads.
Eric
Maybe a noise ratio at 1:87? [:0]
Regards,
Benny - Outsider and MFDWPL

UserPostedImage
Offline steamfriend  
#8 Posted : 30 July 2007 14:03:07(UTC)
steamfriend

Hi Dick,

You do not seem to be the only one getting problems. See discussions and solutions under :

https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=5162

https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=7016

in former discussions.

The design should allow a continuous (eternal) turning in either directions. Clean contacts are one cause, but I had serious troule with the motor itself (underpowered !).

Still have to replace it, tough.

Good luck,

Bob
Offline Pianne  
#9 Posted : 30 July 2007 19:43:40(UTC)
Pianne

Dick,

You are talking about the all-metal TT, yes?
I have one just like that and it is VERY noisy indeed [:0][xx(]. I've read somewhere that feeding it with DC current will reduce the noise somewhat (electromagnet), but I haven't got round to trying anything. Some kind of dampening material under the metal disc will probably help aswell.

In the end I'm not sure if I will use it or sell it and get a newer style plastic TT (Reports of problems with that make me doubt even more...).
I also need to check if the old TT uses a common ground for motor and track, to determine if I can use it with a MS. Any ideas?
Kind regards,
Pieter-Jan
Bruges, Belgium.
Offline Dick  
#10 Posted : 31 July 2007 00:43:09(UTC)
Dick

Further study of the operation of the TT Unit that I have seems to indicate that when the control button is pushed, it has to be held down for far longer than if one was energizing a turnout. At the press of the button, power is applied to the solenoid and motor simultaneously. The solenoid has to disengage the indexing key at the perimeter of the TTand also to move the stop that will allow the motor to turn. It does this through a series of linked levers. The action is very loose and sloppy as well as slugish in my opinion. Much more force is required of the solenoid than what is needed to move a turnout's points. It appears that the designers deliberately left these linkages sloppy to save costs not to enhance performance. I have a hunch that the problems reported with decoder usage is that the initiating pulse output from the decoder is not long enough.

From what I have seen, the situation that I have observed can not readily be remedied. I am using a single Markin Transformer output at the 17 VAC terminal and nothing else is connected. It is one of the 10 VA units from an older starter set. It should be more than enough to operate the TT reliably.

By the way the single ground terminal on the TT is common with the outer track. One of our responders was not sure.

Thanks for the help from all of the posters re: this subject. Further comments are welcome! Dick
Offline Munich 1860  
#11 Posted : 31 July 2007 18:19:13(UTC)
Munich 1860

Germany   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Dick
<br />I think it is not very practical to try and reduce the sound level. The mechanism including the gearing and motor are all rigidly attached to the turntable which is acting as a sounding board. Exactly as a music box drum and spring are amplified when mounted on a wooden base.

You must know its nickname has been 'Tellermine' in German for decades.

That means land mine or plate mine, obviously because of shape and noise ....

Regards,

Hans
I like M-track and my things that run on it were built between 1959 and 1972.
Offline laalves  
#12 Posted : 31 July 2007 18:34:51(UTC)
laalves

Well, hopefully a 7186 will not blow up in your face [V]!

That's the only time where a teller will produce noise, a very loud one, BTW.

Luis