Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Frostie  
#1 Posted : 08 August 2003 05:29:29(UTC)
Frostie

United States   
Helo !! I acquired this car recently and am attempting to get the different functions to operate. Currently it will measure KM per hour only. I am using a 6021 controller with switches set as follows:

1)Off
2)On
3)Off
4)Off

I am new at Digital RR So would appreciate the help of you experts !

confused

Train Collection Insured by "Croc's" with "Big Boys" as Backup"
CS/MS Digital Era 1/2
Apple Man iPhone / Macbook Pro / iPad - the end of the windows PC occurred on April 4, 2010.
Love those Era 1 Tank Locomotives - the more the merrier.

Offline KLB  
#2 Posted : 08 August 2003 06:26:07(UTC)
KLB

Hi Frostie,all,
No instructions with it?
Kevin!

Moderator,Märklin Bar&Grill

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MarklinBandG/
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#3 Posted : 08 August 2003 10:10:19(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

You didn't tell what you need help with.
It is important that you use the correct protocol, and the dip switch settings controls this. I think this car needs the old Motorola protocol, but am not sure.
Regards,
Lars Westerlind.

PS. International units should are written case sensitive; you probably mean km/h.
LW.
Offline Frostie  
#4 Posted : 08 August 2003 15:05:46(UTC)
Frostie

United States   
I have the instructions. The Car is supposed to have four measurements.

Speed Measurement = F1 Off F2 Off
Route Measurement (Trip Odometer) = F1 On F2 Off
Time Measuremant (Stop Watch) = F1 off F2 On
Running Time Measurement (Odometer)F1 On F2 On

You are supposed to use combinations of F1 and F2 to select the measurement chosen.

I cannot change measurements.

If it is the old Motorola Protocal, How do I operate this car on my layout ??

Thanks !
Train Collection Insured by "Croc's" with "Big Boys" as Backup"
CS/MS Digital Era 1/2
Apple Man iPhone / Macbook Pro / iPad - the end of the windows PC occurred on April 4, 2010.
Love those Era 1 Tank Locomotives - the more the merrier.

Offline Lars Westerlind  
#5 Posted : 08 August 2003 16:51:02(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

I see.
1. I'm still not sure about what protocol this car needs, but I'll try to give some hints anyway.
2. If your first message describes the dip switch setting on back of the 6021, it appears to be correct in my eyes. The 6021 sends both old and new protocol.
3. You could try if you which to put all swithes 'off'; this transmits the old protocol only. Isn't usable for new locos functions, only for learnig.
4. With dip 1+2+3 all set on, the 6021 sends a pure new protocol. If by chance your car dislikes old protocol, and get very disturbed, by it, this could work.
5. I feel have read reports about this problem a long time ago (for my memory), probably on the MML, Märklin Mailing List. You might ask your question there.
6. Conclusion: none. Hope that someone else have better help for you. Do you have the opportunity to let your dealer check the car?

Kind regards,
Lars Westerlind.
Offline Webmaster  
#6 Posted : 09 August 2003 03:15:18(UTC)
Webmaster

Your 6021 settings should work fine for the measurement car...

Sounds like an addressing issue, are you sending the F1/F2 commands to the correct address of the decoder ? Do you know the address of the decoder? Is it mentioned in the instructions? Have you opened the car to see what address is set on the decoder?

Sorry about the stupid questions, but I understood it as you are trying to use F1/F2 on "any" address - please correct me if I am mistaken.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Chris Vella  
#7 Posted : 09 August 2003 13:15:23(UTC)
Chris Vella

Hi all,

The problem with the measuring car could be the way that you are addressing the car. Try useing the F(function) button under the numbers of the controler. Try first press F key then enter measuring car address then use f1,f2. I have a feeling that this car workes in a similar way as the Vista dome car.

Cheers,Regards
Chris
Offline bukitdamansara  
#8 Posted : 21 October 2003 10:27:21(UTC)
bukitdamansara

Hi Frostie, all

There is something funny with this car. When using the 6021, it allows selection of any of the 4 measurements. After I changed to an IB, it only measures KM/h and ignores any attempt to select another measurement. I tried the following:

1) Transmit old Motorola format to the decoder address. Result: Still the same. Cannot select another measurement
2) Change addresses, and try old and new Motorola format. Result: Still the same. Cannot select another measurement

Did anyone experience this behaviour? Unfortunately I could not revert to the 6021 as I had sold it off. Thanks in advance for any help/hints.

Regards from Singapore
SC
Offline cos_man  
#9 Posted : 21 October 2003 21:54:41(UTC)
cos_man

Greece   
Hello SC, All,

I have the 49960 Measurement Car. After reading this topic I tried using it with the IB (Software Ver. 1.302 - 1.300) I got recently. The decoder address of 49960 is set from the factory to 75. I got the same behaviour from the 49960 as SC did.
BUT, even if you set Motorola New Protocol as default to the IB (for all decoders on your layout) you can still set a different protocol to a specific decoder address if you follow the steps on page 44 , paragraph 6.5.3 of the IB English Manual.
By the time I followed these steps and set the protocol to Old Motorola Format for address 75 everything got back to normal. Cool
In case you do not have handy the English Manual of IB I will be glad to describe the steps to you.
As I kept my 6021 CU when I got my IB I will try probably tommorow evening to connect it and check the dip switch settings that make the 49960 to function properly and let you know.
Hope I helped.

Best Regards
Costas

Offline bukitdamansara  
#10 Posted : 22 October 2003 13:09:53(UTC)
bukitdamansara

Hi Costas/all

There is certainly something strange with this car. I took the car down back to my dealer to try it on a 6021. Again, it exhibited a "don't care" attitude and refused to change measurement mode and remained in the speed mode no matter what combinations of F keys that we pressed.

While I was in discussion with my dealer as to what we could do about it, the car suddenly changed mode! Hmm... something funny is going on. A quick check on the 6021 and it seems that the F1 button was in 'on' state. Now, the car had no problem changing modes.

When I got home the car worked fine my IB layout. Phew! I suspect that it might have something to do with how often one runs the car. The last time the measurement car was run was about 3 months ago. So that could be why those of us who did not run the car for some time experienced this behaviour.

Anyway, Costas, thanks for the offer but I already have the IB manual in both softcopy and hardcopy though both of them have not been updated to the same level of release as the german copy.

Best regards
SC