Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Larry  
#1 Posted : 20 April 2007 08:07:58(UTC)
Larry

United States   
I'm going to the Stuttgart area this summer and hope to take in some MRR sampling including Marklin dealers, exhibits and the like. Of course, I'll be going to that small city starting with a G.

Any advice on traveling in this area and MRR/Marklin points of interest or shops?

Anyone ever visited Bemo? Not sure they welcome visitors but I can always say I'm from the Netherlands, into Swiss narrow gauge and trying to use my American English accent!

Thanks.
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 20 April 2007 11:45:08(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
If I was to stop by in Stuttgart, I would definatly try to get to see Wolfgang Frey´s layout.
It´s a private layout not open to the public, and chances to get in would be slim at best, but you COULD try to write him a personal mail, telling him that you come all the way from the States.
(No harm in asking. The "NO" you already have! ;-)

Frey´s layout meassures 45*18 meters. It is an EXACT scale model of Stuttgart Hbf and surroundings.
Although N-scale, it leaves nothing to be desired in terms of details and realism.
"Impressive" doesnt really cover it!

I know he had some problems, and now his website seems to have disappeared (again). Anybody is in the know?
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Hemmerich  
#3 Posted : 20 April 2007 13:46:52(UTC)
Hemmerich

Wolfgang's layout is currently not open for visits.
Offline Zora la rousse  
#4 Posted : 20 April 2007 20:49:50(UTC)
Zora la rousse

In the city center of Stuttgart is a large toy store. As far as I know, it has also model trains.

And generally for every German town:

UserPostedImage

Also pay attention to Muller department store in Germany. The bigger ones do sell Märklin, including spare parts. You will not find there the most expensive models, but the collection is not small either. Muller does produce from time to time special models that are real cheap. My 94254 passenger car was bought there. It has "Katja" advertising lettering and cost 14,99 Euro (The 4039 it is based on is more expensive). They do not sell Märklin only, but also model kits (Faller), ready built mountains (Noch) and all other things to make scenery on your layout. I spotted also Faller stonecast houses, if I am not wrong. If you are a starter with Märklin, Muller offers good value for money. I visited Muller in Würzburg, but watch out, they have 2 stores in the city center over there. You must visit the large one, that is the store with Märklin.
You are never too late to become a Märklin fan.
Offline rschaffr  
#5 Posted : 21 April 2007 00:56:09(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Don't forget the layout at Merklingen. Not too far away. And you HAVE to go shopping at Schweikhardt! That place is a mega mart for MRR. I always make a point of going to ETS whenever in that part of Germany.

A little further away in Karlsruhe, you can visit the lokshop. There is also a layout there that my son and I visited a number of years ago. MEK (Modell und Eisenbahnfreunde Karlsruhe. (http://www.lokshop-dom.de/Mek/). They are open for guests every Thursday night, but I contacted Herr Doerflinger (the President of the club) and he agreed for us to visit on their Monday work night. You can also contact them through Roland Baer at the Lokshop. When we were there a few years ago they said they were losing the lease on their clubhouse and would be moving, but the site shows them still at the same place. Wonderful group of guys. We enjoyed our evening there.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline rugauger  
#6 Posted : 21 April 2007 16:16:14(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
If you manage to get outside Stuttgart, there is the big marklin layout at Merklingen:
http://www.modellbahnshow.de/index.html
Richard