Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rschaffr  
#51 Posted : 22 April 2007 06:22:16(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I fully understand the version 1 syndrome. Back when I was developing software as a side business, I was told that very few people will buy release 1 since it is immature, and very few will buy release 4 or above since it is outdated software. As for me, I just recently upgraded from Win98 to XP on some of my machines at the office (mainly because UPS Worldship doesn't support 98 anymore...it did everything I needed). I still have test machines on the floor running win3.1
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Online xxup  
#52 Posted : 22 April 2007 07:37:31(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br />I fully understand the version 1 syndrome.

Yep... Applies to cars, software and just about anything else... I know many people who bought the same make and model car as me, but two years before... Mine came with all the fixes and theirs had to get new starter motor with bigger batteries, upgraded ECUs etc.. Let's not begin to talk about Microsoft and version 1... [:0] [:o)]

Yes it is usually fixed in the end, but what pain are you prepared to go through to be the first kid on the block with the new toy! [xx(]

Yep call me risk adverse, but I really like to enjoy what I buy... I suspect that for many industries (software is a big one here) the products are now to complex (and expensive) to test properly so the "first kids" are, in effect, the beta testers.. Cool
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Larry  
#53 Posted : 22 April 2007 10:59:36(UTC)
Larry

United States   
Count me in as well, Adrian.

While I opted out of the CS, I do have a first year Mazda RX8 with the return of the next generation rotary engine. What a headache. No where in the manual does it tell drivers that once you turn it on you have to drive it; no shutting it off in a few minutes or less. Otherwise, it terminally floods the engine and most have to be towed to the car dealer to get them to start. Mazda pays for the towing but it is still a pain. It has had about 12 recalls, some of which I've missed. Great looking and performing vehicle but I'd never get a first year car again, at least, not one as complex as this one.
Offline Tony  
#54 Posted : 22 April 2007 15:01:36(UTC)
Tony

South Africa   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by xxup
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
<br />Yes - and? This is a "toy"

........their Marklin fix is too horrible to contemplate - only a beer strike would be more frightening!

biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin

Had a good chuckle at this.. Really funny in a rather tense thread..
Regards Tony
Offline Hemmerich  
#55 Posted : 22 April 2007 15:11:18(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bigdaddynz
This is all very fine for you Lutz, but you just live around the corner from Marklin....for those of us 12000 miles away it is a big issue, for the reasons that Ron states. Furthermore, this is not an upgrade, but final delivery of the full feature set that was advertised when the CS was first announced.

As Clapcott says in his other CS update thread.....

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by clapcott
<br />What annoys me most is that Marklin are instisting on calling it an upgrade when in actual fact the product has yet to meet the original specification of functionality.

Simply speaking - because it has been specified as such right at the time of introduction (by this man and his "crew" wink)

UserPostedImage

These pieces were listed as the "primary components":

UserPostedImage

And here the 6021 connection was clearly identified as "optional".

UserPostedImage

During subsequent communications at that meeting it was already made clear that both functionalites (optional interface and updateability) would a) not be of charge and b) that extra effort would be required to install them.

Fact is today that the optional interface will be installed free of charge and that even additional SW (i.e. functional features), which were neither specified nor committed at the beginning will now be included, as well without any extra charge for the customers.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:BMW would not ask you to send your car halfway around the world to be fixed / upgraded, why does Marklin think they can?

Very simple (again): Most Märklin dealers are either not qualified or not reliable enough for such tasks. They even don't go to trainings although being offered by Märklin.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:I would bank on my CS being away for at least 6 months while the 'upgrade' is being done, with no guarantee that it will ever come back to me or not disappear into a 'black hole'.

Pure speculation. I never had this happen with any of my pieces (actually I had thought once about such a case; lucky enough I found the "missing" model still bravely "sleeping" in my shadow station - I had carried it to G., but taken it back home again since it turned out that the required item to be updated would not be available for another three months! biggrinbiggrinbiggrin).

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:At the very least Marklin will need some sort of system where you can register your CS serial number with Marklin, with your name and address, etc, prior to it being sent back.

Every incoming item for repair/upgrade gets a unique identification (repair ID) since a very long time. This is directly linked to the sender/delivery information. If Märklin thinks that the CS (or a loco) serial number needs to be included in that information they will do so.

It is still up to you to keep or even include such unique identifiers of your items (I do this all the time for my own model records).

Offline mmervine  
#56 Posted : 22 April 2007 16:42:09(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
To all:

In reviewing the details of the coming Cenral Station upgrade, it seems to me that it will actually exceed the original specification. I say this because the S88 will be built in (vs. on a booster), the Ethernet port (for computer control) will be active, and a 'sniffer port' has been added to connect to the older digital systems (vs. having to buy an adapter module). I think that this will make the Central Station better than was originally planned, especially for someone with a smaller layout that doesn't need a booster. As far as the booster goes, we know ESU will have one soon, so, hopefully Marklin will as well.

I will probably still get an ECOS, but not because of short comings with the Central Station. I need DCC for my 'other' layout and I have a mobile control that I would like to use with the RF card when it becomes available.

I hope Marklin does work out the logistics for the upgrades to eveyone's satisfaction. Despite their shortcomings, it does look like they are trying to do the right thing for us!

r/mark
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Online David Dewar  
#57 Posted : 22 April 2007 17:05:29(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Well said Lutz. Some sanity to the discussion.
There are folk who will never be satisfied unless they have a control system made to their specification and I would doubt Marklin will be interested in their comments. I would have thought that if a new CS mark 2 had been issued this would be more profitable for the firm and those who did not get an update could buy something else.
What is worse is the number of threads and complaints we are going to get over the next few months when people are without their CS and dont know when it will be back and then dont like it when they do get it back.
I am beginning to think that those with an IB or ECOS (Bert)have the right idea...they think they are great and enjoy using them.
No surprise really that Marklin sells most of its stuff in Germany same as Hornby sells in the UK.
As for precision models and computers I think you will find that the other 99% of the population think they are toys...I know Kingbridge do and they own the firm.. I still have an association with the Investment Banking Company and their interest is in the mass market and profitabilty. This they are now achieving and Marklin systems will be part of that.
Anyway off now to enjoy playing with the trains with my inferior CSbiggrinbiggrin

David

Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline alonso231gery  
#58 Posted : 22 April 2007 17:46:16(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
Some more questions:
1)All our data will be erased from our cs?
2)How many people(personel) are doing that job in Germany(upgrading the cs)?
3)How much time it takes to upgrade a cs?
4)Does anyone know how much time we will not have our cs?
An outsider.
I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig!
Offline pa-pauls  
#59 Posted : 22 April 2007 19:50:03(UTC)
pa-pauls

Hello Nikos

1 ) Yes Cool
2 ) Don't know [}:)]
3 ) Don't know, but first in = first out confused
4 ) See # 3 [:p]

Just got a e-mail from my dealer today that he want me to send him
the CS in the middle of next month so he send it to Märklin in the
end of the month. Then maybe it is back to him due to my holiday in
the end of june and I can then take it with me home [:p]
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline Larry  
#60 Posted : 22 April 2007 20:29:53(UTC)
Larry

United States   
David - As you know, you can achieve the "mass market and profitability" in the short term but medium to long term profitability depends also on sustained quality and customer satisfaction. But given the nature of Kingbridge, their purpose is probably relatively short term and to sell at a profit. However, there is often a delay in knowing that customer satisfaction has gone into the dumper especially for a company with as good as a name as Marklin has had.

Okay, enough of this stress, I'm going back to running my MS and primative 6021 which not only works in a predictable fashion but keeps my neurons fresh trying remembering all the digits assigned to my locos, points, etc!

Best of luck with the CS. I'll buy it when the bugs are worked out, the screen is up to current levels of readability and when the price has doubled.
Offline rschaffr  
#61 Posted : 22 April 2007 20:46:25(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I love Marklin trains. They make some of the best, most reliable engines and rolling stock in the market. I only have one non-Marlin lok, a Roco E143 that my son really liked on a visit to Schweikhardt a few years ago. It runs OK but it is not Marklin. Marklin has never, however, been known as an electronics house. Their first digital system was designed by Lenz. Let us not forget the mfx is an ESU innovation, not a Marklin one. I am well aware of how demanding and domineering a large company can be on it's vendors, particularly smaller ones. I deal daily with Volvo Global Trucks and they are extremely difficult to satisfy. I can fully understand the friction between ESU and Marklin.

I think this upgrade is a good thing. On balance, the S88 capability was initially going to be an external device that would cost. Adding it to the CS is a benefit to the user, particularly at no cost. I do expect thet the CSII with the upgrade will cost more than the current population paid, so those of you who bought the CS and are going to have them upgraded for free are getting a benefit for your loyalty. Actually my only real complaint about this process, if I were experiencing it, is the time lag in having to send the unit to Germany. Looking at the pictures of the upgrade, I don't see why a reasonably savvy computer experienced person could not do their own. Above that, most Marklin dealers, especially premium dealers, are authorized service centers. Why not have them do it?
Or at least have Marklin USA service the North American population.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
Online David Dewar  
#62 Posted : 22 April 2007 21:49:12(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Larry : You are absolutely right, When Kingsbridge bought
Marklin I said then it was to regain profitabilty then sell. This is their business...they have no interest in Model trains (hopefully somebody on their staff might have some Hornby) They will however wish to maintain the name of Marklin and that does mean providing customer satisfaction. It should be remembered however that the members of this forum are a drop in the ocean to M and are not their normal type of customer (lets be honest most of us are fanatics or we would not be contributing to this forum)
You are right to use the 6021 and the MS can be useful and who knows in time you may find the CS to be a suitable replacement if M can deliver the goods. The new locos look good so perhaps we are heading in the right direction.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline rschaffr  
#63 Posted : 22 April 2007 21:57:32(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
David, we may be fanatics but this forum does represent a good cross section of the types of users they are marketing to, from the out of the box operators to the technically minded tinkerers, and everything in between. The views and thoughts expressed here should be useful to them in product support and development.
-Ron
Online David Dewar  
#64 Posted : 22 April 2007 22:15:43(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Good point Ron. I know Kingbridge have no idea this forum exists although I am sure some of the German staff will be aware.
They will listen to certain dealers who turnover large amounts of model rail and know what is being bought. From what I understand they do not see any competition to the Marklin three rail system it is just a matter of increasing sales and reducing costs.
Although others do make (and good ones) three rail locos the sales of these are not high. MacKays Models here in the UK are Roco dealers and do sell a considerable amount but will only do three rail to order and even then only if the customer pays the full amount up front.
It would be nice if they were to listen to us but as most of us want different things it is not really practical.
David
Offline alonso231gery  
#65 Posted : 22 April 2007 22:32:54(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by pa-pauls
<br />Hello Nikos

1 ) Yes Cool

the CS in the middle of next month so he send it to Märklin in the

Thanks PaulSmile.
An outsider.
I'm looking for the owner of that horse. He's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig!
Offline Hemmerich  
#66 Posted : 22 April 2007 23:09:11(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by pa-pauls
<br />Hello Nikos

1 ) Yes Cool

the CS in the middle of next month so he send it to M�rklin in the

Hi Nikos, Pal, et al,

just let me give you some correction to the above.

Question #1: Normally NO, but... wink

The Märklin letter regarding your is quite clear. See Nev's posting above:

"Are my existing data preserved during the update?

In principle the data remain available for use after the update of the Central Station. In exceptional cases - such as the exchange of a defective unit - this cannot be guaranteed."

Question #2: Unconfirmed sources talk about at least 10 extra resources that are currently being trained to just perform those updates. wink

Question #3: Märklin knows this; as much as they know the potential of CS's that need an update - that's why they have prepared for the expected amount of work. wink

Question #4: (as already mentioned - FIFO). Again, the letter is clear, see Nev's posting:

"Please understand that we will carry out the update on Central Stations in the order that they are received and that there may be a wait period under certain circumstances." wink
Offline pa-pauls  
#67 Posted : 22 April 2007 23:46:09(UTC)
pa-pauls

Hi Lutz

I did the short version,,, hehe

Pål Paulsen
Offline alonso231gery  
#68 Posted : 23 April 2007 00:38:27(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
Dealers are obligated to send our cs back to Germany free of charge?
An outsider.
Offline neal  
#69 Posted : 23 April 2007 07:14:46(UTC)
neal

I sent my CS to my dealer in Australia to return to M for repair on 2/12/2006. A brand new replacement arrived last week. It was a) great that it was replaced, but b) not so good that it took 4-1/2 months for the round trip NZ/Aus/Germany/Aus/NZ. I hope it doesn't take that long for the upgrade.
Neal.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#70 Posted : 23 April 2007 07:52:34(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Davy
<br />First pictures from the hardware update.

http://www.eisenbahnclinic.com/news.htm

Look a the second at third picture.
Source stummi's forum.

Look's like these guys have added additional pictures of the update from what were there yesterday (Sunday). I sent this link to my M dealer, he sent me back an email saying the module looks exactly the same as the Ecos module (he is also an ESU dealer).
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#71 Posted : 23 April 2007 08:51:48(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
<br />
Quote:
I would bank on my CS being away for at least 6 months while the 'upgrade' is being done, with no guarantee that it will ever come back to me or not disappear into a 'black hole'.

Pure speculation. I never had this happen with any of my pieces (actually I had thought once about such a case; lucky enough I found the "missing" model still bravely "sleeping" in my shadow station - I had carried it to G., but taken it back home again since it turned out that the required item to be updated would not be available for another three months! biggrinbiggrinbiggrin).

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by neal
<br />I sent my CS to my dealer in Australia to return to M for repair on 2/12/2006. A brand new replacement arrived last week. It was a) great that it was replaced, but b) not so good that it took 4-1/2 months for the round trip NZ/Aus/Germany/Aus/NZ. I hope it doesn't take that long for the upgrade.
Neal.

Lutz, I rest my case..........

Funny how 'that man' (and maybe some of his crew - I don't know for sure) are no longer at Marklin...

Well, I better wipe the dust off my MS and Delta Controller (read 'booster')......

Offline alonso231gery  
#72 Posted : 23 April 2007 19:48:00(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
Can we send our cs to our dealers?(Is he(the official dealer) obligated by M to receive them and post them?)
An outsider.
Offline pserup  
#73 Posted : 23 April 2007 20:47:49(UTC)
pserup

Denmark   
Yes Nikos, your local dealer can arrange the whole thing. It is stated in the official announcement.
CS, Denmark/Germany Ep. I - V, Switzerland Ep. II - V, USA Ep. III/IV
Offline alonso231gery  
#74 Posted : 23 April 2007 21:06:11(UTC)
alonso231gery

Greece   
Thank you Palle.
Future software updates will be for free?
An outsider.
Offline Hemmerich  
#75 Posted : 23 April 2007 23:20:36(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by alonso231gery
<br />Can we send our cs to our dealers?(Is he(the official dealer) obligated by M to receive them and post them?)

Nikos,

did you ever really read the letter from Märklin that Nev posted already days ago above? Cool

"- You can leave the Central Station with your dealer to be sent to Märklin.
- The Central Station can be sent directly to the Märklin Service Department.
- The Central Station can be left at the repair counter at the Märklin World of Adventure in G�ppingen."
Offline Hemmerich  
#76 Posted : 23 April 2007 23:25:37(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by alonso231gery
Future software updates will be for free?

You better ask the Greek tax department! biggrin

(don't they also still tax the import of a simple inflatable boat or car?). Cool
Offline Webmaster  
#77 Posted : 24 April 2007 00:19:10(UTC)
Webmaster

Not only in Greece, Swedish highways see a lot of them too... biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

Hrrrmm... Let's get back to the topic... When will "upgraded" CS:s be shipped from factory as the standard 60212? I am not getting one until I know I get "the latest"...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline gbraux  
#78 Posted : 24 April 2007 01:46:25(UTC)
gbraux

Can we send our CS to Marklin now to be upgraded ?
Or do we have to wait for their official announcement ?

Guillaume
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#79 Posted : 24 April 2007 02:50:06(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Webmaster
<br />Hrrrmm... Let's get back to the topic... When will "upgraded" CS:s be shipped from factory as the standard 60212? I am not getting one until I know I get "the latest"...

Ask Goofy, he knows all about buying "updated Central Station's"
Offline john black  
#80 Posted : 24 April 2007 12:23:30(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
<br />When will "upgraded" CS:s be shipped from factory as the standard 60212?
I am not getting one until I know I get "the latest" ...

Good question, Juhan - same goes for me. Guess we will see her as a solo buy (and of course in the $$$ Gottardo "starter" set) reasonably soon - but in regular Mega starter sets ... 2008 ???
And then there's still that "Series I. waiting period" - most important nowadays ... wink
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Hemmerich  
#81 Posted : 24 April 2007 13:34:33(UTC)
Hemmerich

Quote:
When will "upgraded" CS:s be shipped from factory as the standard 60212? I am not getting one until I know I get "the latest"...

Hi Juhan,

CS's included in any new 2007 Mega starter set will already contain the upgrade (i.e. #29680, #29840, #55037 as well as new CS's shipped from the factory after May (i.e. when the upgrade material is available). These have priority ahead of any units that are sent in for upgrade.

What is finally being offered to you by your favorite dealer after May is a different story; it could be one of these new or already upgraded ones or even unchanged older production items.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Hemmerich
Offline john black  
#82 Posted : 24 April 2007 14:29:58(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
<br />CS's included in any new 2007 Mega starter set will already contain the upgrade (i.e. #29680, #29840, #55037 as well as new CS's shipped from the factory after May (i.e. when the upgrade material is available). These have priority ahead of any units that are sent in for upgrade

Good to know. And cold comfort for those who paid long time ago ... [xx(]
Lesson learned: Never buy M's first series of anything [}:)][}:)][}:)]
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline Hemmerich  
#83 Posted : 24 April 2007 22:31:21(UTC)
Hemmerich

Here's also the "official" message.

http://www.maerklin.de/produkte/cs_update.php#

Please recognize also the comment regarding updating for Switzerland and USA.

Offline pa-pauls  
#84 Posted : 24 April 2007 23:42:52(UTC)
pa-pauls

Thank's Lutz,

I did send M a mail asking if I could deliver the CS for update on my holiday
and get it back the next day, hehe. Then we have to wait and see what respond I get [:p]

Pål Paulsen
Offline rschaffr  
#85 Posted : 24 April 2007 23:53:12(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
It is finally making sense. They will be carrying out the upgrades in North America by Marklin USA. The upgrade time won't be any quicker but shipping will be much less in cost and time. A wise decision.
-Ron
Offline intruder  
#86 Posted : 25 April 2007 00:47:27(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Thanks for the link, Lutz.

I will be visiting Märklin Erlebniswelt early July. Maybe I can ask my dealer to send it early June and pick it up one month later (not the next day, Pål).
If so, I can avoid the funny Norwegian tax on re-imported electrical devices.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#87 Posted : 25 April 2007 01:15:44(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Thanks for the info Lutz. For those of us who can't read German, here's the translation provided by Mr Google.

Starting from June available:
Update of the Märklin central station

Starting from at the beginning of June 2007 until December 2007 can be extended the Märklin central station by means of a free update by further games functions, which make a still reality-more faithful driving possible.

Range of the update

This update consists of a new software for the central station and a hardware extension for the connection of the acknowledging decoder s88 and for the binding of the earlier digital assortment. (6017; 6021)

Who can accomplish this update?

This update can be accomplished only in the Märklin repair service. The central station with this update it is modified in such a way that in the future also a simple update is over possible for Internet.

How can I mean central in station to the update to send?

The following alternatives are available:

* The central station can be transferred with the specialist dealer for forwarding to Märklin.
* The central station directly at the Märklin repair service is sent in.
* The central station can be delivered in the Märklin experience world in Göppingen.
* In Switzerland or in the USA the cent ral station can be brought to agencies also with the there Märklin locally on the current version.

Which new possibilities or changes offer does the central station after the update?

* Switch from routes
* Connection type of a computer for future updates or as control electronics *
* Connection of the acknowledging DEK OR s88
* Mechanism circuits like e.g. a pendulum enterprise
* Optimized control possibilities with locomotives. Like that is e.g. Bremsenquiet with mfx locomotives now more simply releasable.
* Digital devices like the control unit can be attached. If further control devices are attached such as key board, MEMORY, control 80f etc. to this central processing unit, then also these control instructions are implemented.

* = suitable software is from different offerers in preparation.

Do my past data in the central station remain with the update?

In principle the data will be available also after the update of the central station. In exceptional cases like for example this cannot be guaranteed to the exchange of defective equipment however.

As to the saving of CS data, I think there were some tips on how to do this in the 'Tweaking the CS' thread.

I emailed my dealer regarding the CS update, he tells me he is getting inundated with enquiries about the update from both NZ and Australia (Nev, are you responsible Smile). My dealer was going to phone Marklin on Monday night to see what the arrangements would be for this part of the world, and whether he can perform the update - he is an electrical engineer by trade.
So, I'll wait and see what the response is to that query, hopefully my dealer will be authorised to perform the update, and save us all the 12000 mile trip.
Offline nevw  
#88 Posted : 25 April 2007 02:32:46(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
[I emailed my dealer regarding the CS update, he tells me he is getting inundated with enquiries about the update from both NZ and Australia (Nev, are you responsible Smile). My dealer was going to phone Marklin on Monday night to see what the arrangements would be for this part of the world, and whether he can perform the update - he is an electrical engineer by trade.
So, I'll wait and see what the response is to that query, hopefully my dealer will be authorised to perform the update, and save us all the 12000 mile trip.

ONly responsible for One biggrin and also sending him the news as he did not have it.[^]
N
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#89 Posted : 25 April 2007 02:44:29(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Well Nev, he got it twice then, cos I pilfered your post and sent him the text of the newsletter....biggrin I see that he has posted an edited version of the newsletter on his website now (www.toottoot.co.nz).
Offline MarioFabro  
#90 Posted : 26 April 2007 21:23:58(UTC)
MarioFabro

United States   
I believe for those in the US that we can send our CS to New Berlin to get fixed. Thus I did send this message (and the related answer) to Marklin USA:

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:
--- my e-mail ---
On Apr 26, 2007, at 9:20 AM, Fabro, Mario wrote:

Tom,

I believe I met you in Pittsburgh during a recent show. I have read in the German Marklin site about the up-date on the central station and that this can also be performed in the US office.

I have a starting package with the CS (29851) and would like to know if and when I could send you the CS for the up-date. I have not yet installed nor tried the CS, it is still new in the box since I run my small temporary lay-out with my 6021.

Thanks for the response,

--- the response ---

We do not have any updat4e materials yet.l They are telling us it will be June before we get any. Keep watching our web site for updates.

Tom Catherall

From this it appears that, at least US CSs, don't have to leave the country... that may cut on times.

Mario
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageEra IV-VI --- "If you have brains you love trains" or "When I grow up, I will play with trains"
Offline Guus  
#91 Posted : 26 April 2007 21:41:37(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
It's now officially on Märklins German website too that customers in the US and Switzerland can send their CS to their service department in their own country.

http://www.maerklin.de/produkte/cs_update.php

Regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Online xxup  
#92 Posted : 27 April 2007 01:04:27(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I think that we should plonk one of the Marklin CS updaters on the next Insider Canoe to Australia and New Zealand, so that Nev and Dave can have theirs upgraded ASAP.. We promise to return the updater in good condition with plenty of good beer..SmileSmileSmileSmile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline john black  
#93 Posted : 27 April 2007 01:10:03(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
<br />We promise to return the updater in good condition

biggrin

Offline tworail  
#94 Posted : 27 April 2007 01:29:23(UTC)
tworail

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Guus
<br />It's now officially on Märklins German website too that customers in the US and Switzerland can send their CS to their service department in their own country.

http://www.maerklin.de/produkte/cs_update.php

Regards
Guus

Does this include the northern state of Canada as well??

biggrin

regards,
John
Offline nevw  
#95 Posted : 27 April 2007 03:08:17(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
<br />I think that we should plonk one of the Marklin CS updaters on the next Insider Canoe to Australia and New Zealand, so that Nev and Dave can have theirs upgraded ASAP.. We promise to return the updater in good condition with plenty of good beer..SmileSmileSmileSmile

Good thinking 99. biggrin
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#96 Posted : 27 April 2007 06:47:35(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
<br />I think that we should plonk one of the Marklin CS updaters on the next Insider Canoe to Australia and New Zealand, so that Nev and Dave can have theirs upgraded ASAP.. We promise to return the updater in good condition with plenty of good beer..SmileSmileSmileSmile

Sounds like a plan to me.......what do Marklin CS updaters prefer?.....Tui, DB Export, Steinlager, Heinenken or Speights?
Online xxup  
#97 Posted : 27 April 2007 09:34:31(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Quote:
<br />Sounds like a plan to me.......what do Marklin CS updaters prefer?.....Tui, DB Export, Steinlager, Heinenken or Speights?

Fosters I expect... I we show them the wagon, then they will be impressed.. biggrin
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline nevw  
#98 Posted : 27 April 2007 11:14:40(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
<br />
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigdaddynz
<br />Sounds like a plan to me.......what do Marklin CS updaters prefer?.....Tui, DB Export, Steinlager, Heinenken or Speights?

THey Want Beer Not coloured Frothy water. biggrin[}:)][:p]SmileCool
Online David Dewar  
#99 Posted : 27 April 2007 12:56:32(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
CS updaters are not allowed to drink while updating. They are however allowed one small glass of red wine with their steak and fries.
While working on the CS it is important that they wear the hat with the bobing corks to keep insects away from the CS. This is very difficult work which must be taken seriously and is being overviewed from Sweden where all mistakes will be written down for posteritywink
Meanwhile travel updaters will go to the countries in the order they are booked. At present they are starting in Chile then to New Zealand then Canada then Australia. Please remember there is only one canoe and one paddler (updaters do not paddle)

David

why do I post this stuff????????????
Offline pa-pauls  
#100 Posted : 27 April 2007 12:57:23(UTC)
pa-pauls

Hmmm,

I was thinking of deliver my CS to M directly this summer for the update,
but do they actually then send it home to me here in Norway then ? Hmmm,,,

I did send M a e-mail but no respond yet,,,
Pål Paulsen