Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Franz  
#1 Posted : 18 April 2007 10:29:15(UTC)
Franz

Hi,
I am planning to build a digital HO system and feel somewhat insecure with the compatibility of various components. Right now I consider to add a Marklin 6050 Interface to my collection but am not sure whether it is compatible with Microsoft Windows XP. Could someone please answer this for me?
Thank you very much in advance.
Franz
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 18 April 2007 11:00:01(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I can advise that it is certainly capable of working. Even a BASIC program running in a DOS box.

I suspect that behind your question are the layers of devices (e.g USB seriel) and OS/drivers (that insulate an application from direct hardware access). This may affect performance 'responsiveness' if the PC is also trying to manage a skype feed while burning a CD and calculating your taxes but the buffering should not actually loose anything.
Peter
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 18 April 2007 11:37:30(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Hi Franz, welcome to the forum. I had a 6051 interface for a year or so before I sold it to buy a Central Station. I can confirm that the 6051 works fine with Windows XP SP2. I tried with the evaluation versions of Windigipet, Train Controller and Windigital, using WinXP SP2, with no issues at all. You just need to make sure that your PC has a serial interface with a DB9 connector.
Offline 2ndChancer  
#4 Posted : 18 April 2007 17:50:48(UTC)
2ndChancer

Hi all,
May I hitch hike this thread for a quick question...
What should come with a NEW 6050 ? Any sw or programming guide?
The reason...my local dealer is trying to sell me his last 6050 at an attractive price. Yet I have checked and there's no documentation or diskettes come in the box.
Support in HK is rare, so I need to be sure b4 I buy.

Thanks
Eric
Offline dntower85  
#5 Posted : 18 April 2007 19:19:59(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by 2ndChancer

I think all that came with the 6050 was a demo disk - a floppy of marklins version of Windigipet or WinDigital and a cable to connect the interface to a serial port on the computer. Be sure to get the cable it might end up costing a lot more than a normal RS232 cable.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline Renato  
#6 Posted : 18 April 2007 19:27:29(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Quote:
<br />Hi all,
May I hitch hike this thread for a quick question...
The reason...my local dealer is trying to sell me his last 6050 at an attractive price. Yet I have checked and there's no documentation or diskettes come in the box.
Support in HK is rare, so I need to be sure b4 I buy.

Thanks
Eric

Hi,

the 6051 Interface which is now on the market includes a floppy disk with some programs written in basic (with German comments), plus a small book of few pages in English with the basic instructions about how to initialize and program the Interface.
This is the only difference with the 6050 Interface.
You can send me an e-mail if you need more information about this matter: r_verzegnassi@libero.it.

Bye

Renato
Offline DasBert33  
#7 Posted : 19 April 2007 00:56:21(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
I would NOT spent money on a 6050. It is severly limited compared to other PC connection solutions. Eg:
- No bidirectional support (reporting of speed/switch position from digi system to pc, only S88 connections are reported to the PC)
- No absolute direction support

Get a IB, CS, Ecos or something else instead!

Bert
Offline pa-pauls  
#8 Posted : 19 April 2007 01:10:58(UTC)
pa-pauls

Agree Bert

The 6050 / 6051 is "old"
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline DaleSchultz  
#9 Posted : 19 April 2007 04:09:34(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
agree the 6050 is now 20 year old technology, there are much better options now. An Intellibox is probably the best that has any documented computer interface.

The 6050 is a serial device and is there very generic in terms of what operating systems will work with it. It will work with everything from the Commodore 64 to a Cray.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline 2ndChancer  
#10 Posted : 19 April 2007 04:52:20(UTC)
2ndChancer

Thanks for all the comments.
I am sort of in a catch 22. Our local dealer is closing down business, and I've bought a Memory & two 6017 for half price(6043-usd130. & 6017-usd100.,all brand new), this is cheaper than German 2nd Hand price in some popular web shops. I also just bought a used Keyboard from ETS, and some Viessmann decoder kits as well.
So unless I put all these into the locker again for an IB, I'm just one step from having a complete computer control system.

Furthermore, I feel comfortable in programming in Basic. What I really want to be sure is the availability of supporting documentations for development.

Appreciate more comments.

And thanks to Renato for the offer, don't get shock by my email oneday.

Thank you.

Eric
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#11 Posted : 19 April 2007 09:03:13(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The other thing I would add to DasBert's post is that the 6050 is limited to one serial speed, I think it is 2400bps. The IB can operate up to 19.2kbps, and maybe 33k, which is much faster. Maybe someone with the correct numbers can confirm this.
Offline DasBert33  
#12 Posted : 19 April 2007 10:12:19(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
I think 6050 does 2400 bps, IB does 9600bps by default but can do even faster. For me this wasn't an issue since I have a small layout.

If you get an Ecos you can still connect your memory and 6021 to the so called sniffer port, and you can use the boosters directly. (see another post here somewhere here) Or get an IB (but it is also old) and replace your 6021 with it.

If you are serious about controlling a layout with a pc, which means S88 contacts and automatically driven trains, you will regret you spent the money on a 6050. It is ok though if you only want to make a switchboard on a big pc screen or something.

Bert
Offline fvri  
#13 Posted : 19 April 2007 11:45:49(UTC)
fvri

Hi Franz,

If I would go digital today I would also look for something else than the M6050. The ECos or the CS would be a good option. Although both systems are not officially supported yet by most software train control systems(Eg. Train & Co with Train Controller etc.) they will be soon! Don't blame me if they already offically do today! I don't fully agree that the 6050 wouldn't be sufficient enough to control automatically a layout. Of coarse everything is relative! What is a big layout? and thus the limits for the 6050. Not only the hardware plays a role but also the software that controls it must be good! With my program LocCommander(operates on Windows XP) that only supports the M6050(thus serial communication), I can easily control my layout that contains more than 40 turnouts, 20 signals and monitors more than 20 block sections(8 S88). I have defined in LocCommander a scenario(route for one or more trains) that controls 4 trains. I can't image a layout that needs to switch a lot of turnouts and signals at the same time....

http://users.telenet.be/loccomm...ages/LocCommander090.jpg

I will support the Ecos in LocCommander if the PC Interface protocol is made public! If have tried to get but without any results ESU currently only gives it to certain people. Same story for Marklin and its CS (Central system)...

Thus, for me the M6050 is more than OK and will still do for a moderate layout! But of coarse technology doesn't stand still and the new features Ecos and CS offer are very attractive for digital model road control.

Br,
Frank
Offline efel  
#14 Posted : 19 April 2007 12:03:55(UTC)
efel

France   
Quote:
<br />

6050 should come with a pamphlet giving informations for how to program it in BASIC. Very few orders are necessary to control it.
You will have to buy or make yourself the cable between 6050 and PC (I think this cable comes only with 6051 version).
Launch a "search" request to see all that has already been written on the subject in this forum. I am sure that if you have any further problem when using the interface, somebody in the forum will help.
I'm using a 6051 in my fully PC controlled layout without any problem.
Fred
Offline clapcott  
#15 Posted : 19 April 2007 12:16:18(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Franz,

Contrary to most of the comments here I think the 6050 does have a use, particularily if you already have a 6021. So it does become simply a matter of price v timing.

-The baud rate is a red herring and as good as irrelavent for all but the most complex and overpopulated layout.
-The comment about not being able to deterime the direction is true but I do not think a show stopper.

So, presuming you do already have a 6021 ... (and are not looking for another controller in the near to medium future)
The real question is 'what do you want to do ?'

- as a simple direct controller offering additional throttles and access to all 256 accessory addresses without having to buy 16 keyboards - It is an excellent choice
- as a sequencer/schedular of events - it is on a par with anything else
- as an artificial intelligence - well! who is doing the programming?

I say go for it ! (if the price is right! The 71euro (current ebay.de option) is over the top, th 49USd (ebay.com) would be my realistic max but not with annother 10USD for shipping) )

Peter
Offline dntower85  
#16 Posted : 19 April 2007 20:00:51(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
I looked for a 6050 and 6051 on ebay but never found one that didn't go for less than around $200 US. so I ended up getting a booster and built an adapter cable to connect to the computer and downloaded the DDW and railPlan software form http://mitglied.lycos.de/mgrafe/ . For a ten of the price of a Central Station I have computer control over loc and switches. Soon I will try to employ an S88 and go to an autonomous operations.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline 2ndChancer  
#17 Posted : 20 April 2007 02:40:16(UTC)
2ndChancer

DT,
Thanks for introducing this site. Interesting indeed. I'll take a good look. I have the 6021 though. And personally I don't like the CS or things that looks like a gameboy. So the IB is the only alternative.
I may as well just take the 6050 for the shake of having it.

Eric
Offline DaleSchultz  
#18 Posted : 20 April 2007 04:27:48(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
the boosters can be used with an IB also...
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Franz  
#19 Posted : 21 April 2007 02:38:44(UTC)
Franz

Hi,
I would like to thank for all the interesting commentaries on the 6050 Interface. My conclusion is to forgo the purchase of it and go with a more modern system.
Offline Webmaster  
#20 Posted : 21 April 2007 02:43:48(UTC)
Webmaster

Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline 2ndChancer  
#21 Posted : 21 April 2007 03:49:19(UTC)
2ndChancer

Thanks master,

I WAS just browsing the same page you recommended, what a small time frame.

Eric