Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline wsscott72  
#1 Posted : 02 April 2007 15:07:00(UTC)
wsscott72

I've just completed my setup using C-track and separate feeder wires, and did a test run. The engine was identified properly and functions with proper speed. The only problem is that the directional indicator on the Controller shows the wrong direction of travel. Have I got my wiring messed up, or is there a way to change it so that it indicates the direction the engine is moving? Hope this description of the problem makes sense. Thanks. Stephen
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 02 April 2007 15:38:14(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi 72,
The controller cannot show the direction of travel. It was not designed to show the direction of travel.
In a closed loop (which represents most model railroads) you can have two parallel tracks. The controller will send the engine in one direction, and MAY just happen to show the correct direction on the display.
Now without switching to the opposite direction on the controller, the engine goes around the loop, and comes down the parallel track in the opposite direction to that indicated on the controller.
There is nothing wrong.
regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline clapcott  
#3 Posted : 02 April 2007 23:51:06(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Stephen,
Not sure what Kimball is getting at, as the modern generation of decoders do receive and adhere to a direction status in the command.

Could you please ..
- indicate the engine you are refering to
- if the problem is restricted to a single engine
- has the engine been upgraded - please specify the decoder.

Presuming it is a single lok problem after an upgrade or service and the decoder is capable of direction detection - then swapping the blue and green wires should work.
Peter
Offline hemau  
#4 Posted : 03 April 2007 00:54:11(UTC)
hemau

Hi Stephen,
Also not quite sure what your problem is. Is it when the indicators on the 60652 start from left to right, you expect to run the engine forward? Normally it does. Is this the direction the engine starts, when the system is powered up? Both my steamers start in forward direction after powering up. One of them is Delta, one is Digital.
If your engine starts backwards, I think you could change the wiring from the decoder to the engine or - if possible- reverse the magnet in the engine. But I do not know these sort of engines from own experience. I hope this helps someway.
Regards, henk.
C and M track; CS1R and 2 MS
Offline wsscott72  
#5 Posted : 03 April 2007 01:06:40(UTC)
wsscott72

The engine is new and no modifications. When I plug in the controller to turn it on, it identifies the engine, and the arrow points to the right, and as you increase the speed the engine moves "forward" in a counter-clockwise direction, but opposite to the arrow's direction. When I push the speed knob, it stops, and the arrow changes to point to the left, and as power is added the engine is in reverse. I thought when I had run it before, the engine travelled in the direction of the arrow. Hope this makes sense. Thoughts? I guess if I put the engine on the track in the opposite direction it would be consistent, but that's not the direction of travel I want. Thanks for your help.
Offline intruder  
#6 Posted : 04 April 2007 01:21:19(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
The arrows on the controller indicates the travelling direction of the locomotive - forward or reverse, in accordance with the front and rear end of the loco. It does not indicate the physical travelling direction.
If the arrow points to the right and the speed indicator "builds up" from the left, the loco should move in it's forward direction, no matter which way you put it on the track.

The loco only picks up the current from the track, it does not know in which direction you put it down. The direction of travel is changed in the decoder on your command.
On most electric and diesel locos the pick-up shoe is under the front end.

If you have specific wishes that the physical travelling direction and the arrow direction should be the same when the front of the loco points the opposite way, you have to swap the green and blue motor wires (not on C-sinus locos) and the gray and yellow front lamp wires. Then the definition of the front end of the loco is swapped.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline wsscott72  
#7 Posted : 06 April 2007 17:17:41(UTC)
wsscott72

Thanks for the info. I think I'll leave well enough alone. And I realized that the train is going in the direction of the arrow when its on the "lower" side of the circle, its only "opposite" when its on the far side. I was concerned that I had mis-wired something in doing the setup and I didn't want to have a short or burn out the engine or the controller. Stephen