Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 30 March 2007 05:07:58(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
I like to play with my trains, but I would also like to keep the boxes in pristine condition. So rather than opening boxes each time I play, I have devised a method of storage that seems to work.
I flatten each box, and store them in boxes or bags. This does not take much room.
I then store all the models in larger boxes, labelled "closed wagons", "open wagons", "passenger cars" etc. Each model is separated by a strip of foam, cardboard, or similar soft material.
I can now choose train make-ups depending on my mood.
The only problem is that many new models have a polycarbonate (plastic) frame inside the box, so I cannot flatten it. So storing these boxes takes a lot more room. I have not yet devised a better method for these.
Do other Marklin users have similar or better ideas than these? Or do you see anything negative with flattening the box for storage?
regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline shaygetz  
#2 Posted : 30 March 2007 06:38:31(UTC)
shaygetz

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by kimballthurlow
<br />Hi,

Or do you see anything negative with flattening the box for storage?
regards
Kimball

That is rather novel, I wish my Athearn boxes could do that.
"To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

---A.W. Tozer

Webpage... www.freewebs.com/shaygetz
Blog... http://misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com/
Offline nevw  
#3 Posted : 30 March 2007 07:51:11(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
KImball,
Make a storage cabinet to mount on the wall, Glass Doors, and TRacks on the Shelves.
All trains and Cars there. Boxes then stored safely away in another place. a Spare broom Cupboard??

N
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 30 March 2007 10:50:19(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Yes, Shaygetz, you would have to razor blade Athearn boxes apart. That would create a lot of work.
regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline viragoLDR  
#5 Posted : 30 March 2007 12:25:33(UTC)
viragoLDR

Don't care much about the regular boxes, so once I start with a static Marklin layout, I'll likely throw those away. For the trains, they'll be stored either on the layout (shadowstation), or in a display cabinet on the wall.

My N-scale is a different story. That's going to be a modular layout which might have to be transported from time to time, but luckily, the Japanese brands are 1 step ahead of me. Their boxes take little space, can be placed like a book in a regular bookshelf, and are sturdy. Insides are padded with foam, and they close quite securely. On top of that you can add a cardboard "sleeve" around the whole box.
- Martijn
(early planning : H0-scale Era I K.Bay.sts.b)
(active planning : N-scale mixed late Era Japanese)
(possibly something Z-scale as well ;))
Offline kimballthurlow  
#6 Posted : 30 March 2007 12:59:57(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
I guess the main reason I am keeping the boxes, is that I see in the long run, the models hold their value better. I have noted 10% or 20% premium over unboxed models, if I ever want to dispose of them?

regards
Kimball
Offline hxmiesa  
#7 Posted : 30 March 2007 14:11:20(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by viragoLDR
<br />Don't care much about the regular boxes, so once I start with a static Marklin layout, I'll likely throw those away. For the trains, they'll be stored either on the layout (shadowstation), or in a display cabinet on the wall.

Dont throw Märklin boxes away!!!!!!!!
They are worth a fortune! If you dont beleive me, take a look at Ebay!

Other than that, on a personal note, I think you shouldnt throw them away, JUST IN CASE you one day ned to -say- change house, or (God forbid) take down your layout...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline pa-pauls  
#8 Posted : 30 March 2007 15:24:32(UTC)
pa-pauls

One other thing,

If your model needs to go to service, let's say to M for warranty
repair then the original box will be the best way to send it,,,

Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline viragoLDR  
#9 Posted : 30 March 2007 16:22:51(UTC)
viragoLDR

I'll keep them if I get a massive house, but that is very unlikely in Oslo, so the boxes will have to go at some point ;) I'm not gonna keep them because they _might_ be worth something 50 years from now..

- Martijn
(early planning : H0-scale Era I K.Bay.sts.b)
(active planning : N-scale mixed late Era Japanese)
(possibly something Z-scale as well ;))
Offline steventrain  
#10 Posted : 30 March 2007 16:38:56(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Make sure keep boxed away from window/sundirect.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Ayala  
#11 Posted : 30 March 2007 19:20:01(UTC)
Ayala

and what about this option?

http://train-safe.de/index_en.php

UserPostedImage

Ayala
Lisbon, Portugal
Offline steventrain  
#12 Posted : 30 March 2007 19:45:24(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Nice site.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline sebastian  
#13 Posted : 30 March 2007 20:00:31(UTC)
sebastian

Canada   
Very nice. I had a look at the prices and they are on the expensive side. I really liked the transportation products. Way cool.
DRG, DB and SBB
Era II, III and IV
Sincerely,
Sebastian
Offline charles Sharpe  
#14 Posted : 30 March 2007 22:01:28(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hello I have kept all my boxes so far and has I have only severn trains they are all out and running.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline rschaffr  
#15 Posted : 30 March 2007 22:46:20(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I have kept all of my boxes, just in case I ever want to sell anything (heresy, I know!). I have a 6 foot long 8 shelf display case to show off the beauties I'm not running.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline acastell  
#16 Posted : 30 March 2007 22:54:56(UTC)
acastell

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Ayala
<br />and what about this option?

UserPostedImage

Ayala
Lisbon, Portugal

I recently bought 16 Train Safe Vision tubes. Yes,they are quite expensive is true, but is one of the best purchase I did on model railroading: you may leave your locomotives and wagons and they are ready to go on your layout in few seconds. The option with the conductive rails is simply awsome !! The trains go out of the tube simply by using your throttle !!
Moreover the service is fantastic. The delivery is done within 2 days from the order. I broken a small plastic cap (it was my fault and so I told them), and after an email a couple of caps were delivered for free ! Both a special product and a great service.
SmileSmile
Ciao
Andrea

Offline Ayala  
#17 Posted : 31 March 2007 01:06:33(UTC)
Ayala

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by acastell
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Ayala
<br />and what about this option?

UserPostedImage

Ayala
Lisbon, Portugal

I recently bought 16 Train Safe Vision tubes. Yes,they are quite expensive is true, but is one of the best purchase I did on model railroading: you may leave your locomotives and wagons and they are ready to go on your layout in few seconds. The option with the conductive rails is simply awsome !! The trains go out of the tube simply by using your throttle !!
Moreover the service is fantastic. The delivery is done within 2 days from the order. I broken a small plastic cap (it was my fault and so I told them), and after an email a couple of caps were delivered for free ! Both a special product and a great service.
SmileSmile
Ciao
Andrea

I could not agree more with you.
It's a fantastic option to show your entire collection, it's dusty profe, and it's incridible easy to make them in and out from the tube.
I also choose the Train Safe Vision tubes with conductive rails feature. Amazing!
I do recommend this solution, regarding the price

Ayala
Offline kimballthurlow  
#18 Posted : 31 March 2007 02:53:22(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Dear M Users,
Wow, there are some great ideas coming out of this.
I love the Trainsafe tubes.
Because of the value of Marklin products, I believe the tubes and other accessories, are well worth the expense.
For example, a 1.2metre tube is EUR60. That should hold 7 locomotives, if my reading is correct, and represents excellent value.
Let's face it, some of us are not going to need 6 tubes lined up on the wall. Maybe one or two, and that is not a huge expense compared to the value of the locomotives.
This also means that I can "flatten" the boxes for storage until I need them again in 20 years time.
I agree with many respondents, that the boxes are best kept if possible. However, as ViragoLDR points out, one should not be too mindful of something likely to occur in 50 years time.
regards
Kimball
Offline nevw  
#19 Posted : 31 March 2007 09:04:55(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Kimball,
Have a look at this topic Page 4 and maybe on page 3.

https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=4469

N
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#20 Posted : 31 March 2007 09:59:06(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
We get quite a lot of laptops coming through work, and the boxes they come in usually have a plastic carry handle. Since the boxes get thrown out, I have rescued some of these boxes, and it is these I use to store empty (and full) Marklin boxes in. They stack well and can be kept under a bench, or in a cupboard.