Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline efel  
#1 Posted : 10 March 2007 19:44:10(UTC)
efel

France   
Hi All,

I must say I am disapointed with my RTS couplers.
I bought them for I wanted to keep the Telex possibility. In fact, neither my BR86 nor my V60 can couple with a RTS, due to the size of the conductive tip.
Furthermore, although coupling 1 RTS and 1 Marklin short coupler (701630) is working, I experienced a parasitic uncoupling at the beginning of a slope. Up to now, I never had such a thing with standard Marklin-Marklin short couplers.
In conclusion, I can't use RTS with Telex or with Marklin short couplers.
Then, what is the advantage of RTS vs Viessmann 5048?
Pro Viessmann: VERY soft coupling (don't ask about RTS!); very easy uncoupling; 2 conductors if necessary.
Pro RTS: ?

Fred
Offline nevw  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2007 00:24:07(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Fred,
I use RTS Couplers and I NEVER use the RTS on the First car coupling to the Lok.
I never have had an Upcoupling from them. Only thing is to couple action has to be firm.
I do have some Viessmann 2 Pole Couplers which I will be using from LOK to the last car (For Lighting).

Not sure which is best as I have not installed the viessmann ones yet
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Larry  
#3 Posted : 11 March 2007 05:48:27(UTC)
Larry

United States   
Anyone have experience or find benefits from replacing the old rod type semi-permanent couplers with the Marklin/RTS?
Offline nevw  
#4 Posted : 11 March 2007 06:23:06(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Larry
<br />Anyone have experience or find benefits from replacing the old rod type semi-permanent couplers with the Marklin/RTS?

Larry, Easier Decoupling.
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Larry  
#5 Posted : 11 March 2007 06:27:32(UTC)
Larry

United States   
Nevw - Thanks but did you also find that the electrical connection was improved; less flickering of lights, etc?
Offline rschaffr  
#6 Posted : 11 March 2007 06:40:56(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I use RTS couplers throughout my trains and don't expereince any problems. You must assure that the coupler heights are correct, though. Also I have found that initially they are very stiff to couple, after a few couplings they go together much easier. I removed and sold all my Viessmann couplers (I had equipped five or six trains with them) since they were incompatible with various standard Marklin couplers. I will continue with RTS since they work for me. I also have them on my loks since I light my cars from the lok.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline Larry  
#7 Posted : 11 March 2007 07:48:52(UTC)
Larry

United States   
Ron - Thanks for sharing your knowledge. By the way, your "Train Project" website is fantastic in terms of seeing the evolution to a really sophisticated and well-designed layout and use of technology.
Offline hmsfix  
#8 Posted : 12 March 2007 00:46:11(UTC)
hmsfix

Hi,

I am using RTS conducting couplers since more than one year. Main advantage as compared to semi permanent couplers is that passenger trains can be separated and connected much easier. However, the force required to close or open the RTS couplers is larger than for a conventional M* KK.

Electric contact of the RTS is very reliable so far. I once had to correct the contact brace as it was bent down by an accident. Even in a consist of 7 coaches I have a safe electrical connection from the first coach to the last. To my experience, flickering coach lights have more to do with the slider, the ground contacts, or voltage fluctuations of the digital signal.

Never checked how RTS couples perform with hook couplers. I have installed M* KK or RTS conductive couplers on the respective express locos as well.

However, RTS conductive couplers and metal RELEX couplers (older cars) don't get together. And even if you manage to connect them somehow, the RELEX will short circuit the contact of the RTS coupler to ground. Probably the same thing happens with hook couplers.

Hans Martin
Offline David Dewar  
#9 Posted : 12 March 2007 13:52:42(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I agree with Ron. Run the power from the loco through the RTS and you should be flicker free.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.