Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Darren W  
#1 Posted : 24 February 2007 05:47:16(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
I have read in the manuals that came with my starter set that it is very bad to do a sudden direction change while a locomotive is moving. I have done it once my self by accident ( still getting used to the controls on the MS ) and my 3 year old daugther did it by accident as well.

My question is will this actually do any damage to the locomotive?

I wish Marklin would have made a seperate button for direction change and not integrated it with the throttle. I will be very carefull in the future to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I guess my other question would be does the CS have enough brains to not allow a sudden direction change while the loco is set to run at a certain speed. I would think it would be simple enough to disable direction changes unless the throttle is set to zero.

Thanks
Darren Smile
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 24 February 2007 06:12:03(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I do it when I need an emergency stop on a particular loco (ie no slow down).. Aside from tyre wear, I can't really see what the problem might be..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Ray  
#3 Posted : 24 February 2007 06:14:20(UTC)
Ray

Hello Darren,
I remember the analog time when we boys would change direction pushing the buttom on the transformer. I do not
remember ever to destroy any loko. I would say, because the electric motor has to stop and change direction, the
chance to do harm to the motor is very slim.
Of course, if You do nothing else as changing the direction, the motor could overhead and burn out. But I think,
with a view times doing this, You do not have to worry.
Have fun,

Rainer
From Florida,

Rainer
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 24 February 2007 08:41:32(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Sometimes, if the spring on the reversing unit is too strong, a loco would take off at super duper speed when the trafo was put into reverse mode and held there. I never damaged a loco doing this when I was a kid, but I guess you might run the risk of overloading a motor doing this. Mind you, the loco probably went too fast and derailed before that could happen....

Also, I've never seen a loco damaged by initiating a sudden reverse action. The CS actually stops the loco if reverse is pressed while a loco is running.
Offline john black  
#5 Posted : 24 February 2007 14:21:34(UTC)
john black

United States   
When I was little I discovered blocking that unit gave absolute top speed to my E1141 biggrin[}:)]
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline pserup  
#6 Posted : 24 February 2007 15:44:14(UTC)
pserup

Denmark   
I have accidentally done a couple of time with my CS. Only thing that happens is that loko stops as the CS sets the speed to 0. Guess MS will do the same. No worries!
CS, Denmark/Germany Ep. I - V, Switzerland Ep. II - V, USA Ep. III/IV