Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline wsscott72  
#1 Posted : 02 February 2007 15:50:51(UTC)
wsscott72

I'm doing my first layout, and its basically a rectangle that's 12' on two sides, and 6' on the two ends, with curves in the corners. I'm using the Mobile Station for my digital loco and sound car. I've got some feeder track to use, and need to know how to wire it and what gauge of wire. Do you run wires from each feeder track to the next, I guess this would be in series, or do you run it in parallel with all wiring coming directly from the transformer to each feeder track? And once again, what gauge wire should I use. Also, I need to know where you insert the nails or screws to the track to mount it. I've never done this before so I'm learning. Thanks.
Offline rschaffr  
#2 Posted : 02 February 2007 16:21:16(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Wire in parallel, all center studs (pukos) fed by the red circuit and the rails fed by the brown. Recommended feeding is every 1-2 meters to assure good current availability. DO NOT hook up the track (either feed) directly to the transformer!

As to screwing the track down, may of the folks on this forum don't. Some use two sided tape to keep the track from moving. I screw them down. If you are using K-track, on each section there are two or three small indentations in the ties or sleepers. Put the screws through there (it takes some force to penetrate the plastic). That is the only place you can screw them down without drilling through the metal substrate of the track. I paint the screw tops with flat black after installation to hide the screws.

If you are using C-track, there are small indentations int he plastic between the ties for the screws to go through. You have to penetrate the plastic.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline wsscott72  
#3 Posted : 02 February 2007 17:21:29(UTC)
wsscott72

So if I run a pair of wires to each feeder connection for about every 2 meters of track, I'm going to have a lot of pairs of wires going back to the "feeder box" that's connected to the transformer. How do you connect them all to that point, ie. is there a special connector unit that you use, and what gauge wires do you recommend? And one more question if you don't mind, what size screws should I use? Thanks.
Offline rschaffr  
#4 Posted : 02 February 2007 17:38:16(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
What many do is run a "buss" set of wires under the layout and tap off of that. That is the cleanest way. Recommended wire size is 16 AWG (1.0mm2) or larger. Otherwise you can use distribution strips such as the Brawa 2591 or 2592 or the Marklin 72090. Note that the Marklin one is for the new Marklin plugs and will not be interchangeable with the old style plugs as used in the Brawa strips. As to the screws, Marklin sells special screws for K track part number 7599 for a box of 200.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline wsscott72  
#5 Posted : 02 February 2007 18:25:03(UTC)
wsscott72

Thanks for your help. Stephen
Offline DaleSchultz  
#6 Posted : 02 February 2007 23:10:21(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com