Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#1 Posted : 30 May 2003 12:01:18(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
Hello!

I am in the process of converting an old 3021 "Red Moose" to digital. This loco has a LFCM motor as far as I can see. So I ripped out the relay and all loose wires. I bought a Uhlenbrock 75100 decoder to be able to keep the AC motor but still get acc/braking-delay.

Before I power up the loco I just want to make sure I did everything right:

1) The brown wire from the decoder is supposed to go to ground. In the pictures it seems to be grounded through the motor. Is this correct?

2) The black wire is supposed to be connected to the coal brushes of the motor through a "interference suppresson" - can I remove it and go straight on?

/K-G

K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline Hans_Dietrich  
#2 Posted : 02 June 2003 20:28:24(UTC)
Hans_Dietrich

Hi!

I have not used the 75100 myself, but according to the Uhlenbrock decoder handbook,

1) connect the "black" wire to the choke coil (interference suppression device, the part is often close to the brush contacts) which then connects to the one brush contact. You should keep the choke coil.
2) the "brown" wire should connect to chassis ground. I found that there is often a soldering flansh mounted at the motor housing which provides easy chassis ground contact. I do not know if you could directly use the second brush contact to connect to ground, but I would not do it that way.

I also kept any attched capacitors since the S-and LFCM motors can sometimes spark a lot. If you should find that your loco responds a little slowly to speed changes from fast to slow, get new brushes. If that does not help, you may need to get an additional noise suppression kit from Uhlenbrock, essentially two more coils and a capacitor.

Good luck ... Hans

Hans ... Epoch I to V, M-track, IB with MS
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#3 Posted : 28 July 2003 15:32:17(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
[:(]

So, now I have connected all wires where they are supposed to be. Powering up the loco, the decoder receives commands (flashing lights etc) - but the loco doesn't move! The motor receives current (I can hear the humming sound) but there is very little movement...

Does the LFCM in my V200 require too much current - more than the decoder can handle? Or have I missed some other vital step in the installation? Almost giving up, maybe I should convert it with the Märklin kit instead ...

/K-G
Offline Charlie  
#4 Posted : 28 July 2003 16:56:05(UTC)
Charlie

Hi K-G,

I believe you should have used the 75200. The output for the motor is a little higher: 1.2 Amps versus 1.0 Amps for the 75100. Ask your dealer, he should be able to advise you!

I have not used a 75200 (yet biggrin ), but we have converted a 3021 for a customer using the Marklin 60904 Digital propulsion set. Results were great. I loved the crawling capabilities best!

Cheers,

Charlie
Offline Hans_Dietrich  
#5 Posted : 28 July 2003 21:14:09(UTC)
Hans_Dietrich

Hi!

Sorry to read that the conversion has not succeeded yet!

Again, I did not use the 75100, but I have used the 75200 for all my
conversions which included a LFCM engine and the result was very satisfactory to me. So while the 75100 has a lower output, I think that should not prevent the motor from spinning.

You did not mention in your initial post if the loco was running well in analog. It is a good thing to take the motor apart, clean and lightly oil the gears. Maybe you have some binding which prevents the motor from running freely. The conversions section here on this site gives good information on that subject.

Another recommendation at conversion time is to replace the old brushes. However, I found that in one engine the brush springs were so tight that the new brushes prevented the motor from moving. Gently bending the springs to reduce the tension solved that problem. However, loosening the springs too much will cause increased sparking. Maybe the springs have a very high tension.

Do not know if this is of any help, though.

Hans
Hans ... Epoch I to V, M-track, IB with MS
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#6 Posted : 29 July 2003 13:07:51(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
Cool
Right now it's summer, so I'm not working on the trains very much...

I think I jumped into this project without checking the status of the loco. It was running, yes, but I didn't take it apart to check the lubrication etc.

I think converting with the 60904 kit seems more useful. Meanwhile I have a Delta loco which could be upgrade with the Uhlenbrock decoder. And maybe the 3021 could use a Delta decoder... It's worth a try, I think!

I'll come back with a full report on this conversion when I have finished the summer activities, moved to a new apartment - and whatever other things that will have to be done before...

/K-G