Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rudi Bekkers  
#1 Posted : 04 January 2007 23:52:22(UTC)
Rudi Bekkers

Hi all,

I hope you will allow me to revisit an issue that we discussed already a while ago, namely flickering lights in coaches. It was discussed here and here, among other places. The conclusion at that time seemed that when you include in the coach full rectifier circuit, combined with a capacitor, it should work nicely without flickering.

Today, after doing many things in between, I took up the job of lighting some sets of coaches again. I included the full rectifier circuit (using fast Schottky diodes, the 1N5819), and a 100 uF capacitor. Lights are a set of five 3-volt incandescent tube lights, distributed over the car.

Result? It still flickers strongly!!! Not so much on my test layout with a Delta station (which has been noted by others too), but a lot on my bigger layout (using two MS and three Delta’s as boosters).

That’s seems weird to me! Normally speaking, the circuit I used should provide a sufficiently stable DC signal to feed lights without flickering. The AC frequency is relatively high, so the capacitor need not be that large, and the diodes I employed should be fast enough I guess. This puzzles me, it should be so simple!

Did anyone that suggested this circuit (I was one, but there were several others too) test it and experiment with it?

I plan some more testing somewhere in the next days (using an oscilloscope to study the resulting ‘DC’ signal), but would love to hear from other people’s experiences.

Thanks, Rudi
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#2 Posted : 05 January 2007 00:59:14(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

???

Looks that yo've made a simple mistake somewhere, doesn't it? It should work, shouldn't it? Why can't circuitry just behave?

A note: AFAIK flickering getw wors when there are more messages flowing on track; nothing to do with the size, booster or whatever, but simply the number of addresses locos.

/Lars
Offline Rudi Bekkers  
#3 Posted : 05 January 2007 08:43:35(UTC)
Rudi Bekkers

Thanks for replying, Lars. I had the same feeling: there must be something wrong, this should be so simple.

However, after I night of sleep, I came to the following thought. If the bare eye can see the flickering, especially on these 'slow' lights, the period in which the voltage is fluctuating must be much, much lower than the period of the rather high-frequency decoder signal. Reasoning this way, the rectifier and the capacitor might be just working fine, and diodes may be fast enough, etc, but the M* digital signal has significant (viewable) voltage fluctuation with a frequency of maybe a few to some 10 Hz, as a result of the pulse width (average period high/low) of the digital signal.

So the conclusion would be that the circuit cannot work (or by itself is insufficient to reduce flicker).

To put it stronger: the curcuit does nothing to reduce flicker, as the incandescent lights are ' slow' enough to deal with the high-frequency signal changes. The circuit would only be the basis for an eventual additional stabaliser and has no use on its own. (Unless when using LED's, that's another issue.)

If this is true, the rectifier and cap will simply not do. A voltage stabilizer or a set of batteries would be necessary. That's too bad, because I am not so happy to add such a stabilizer for various reasons (I will get back to that later).

So my question is: does anyone that has built the rectifier/cap circuit have NO flickering? (Apart from a simple Delta situation with just one loco?)

Any other comments welcome.

/rudi
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#4 Posted : 05 January 2007 11:20:37(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Makes sence.

I've read about the super capacitators, "Golden cap", about 1 F or something. Hav you considered?

/Lars
Offline Rudi Bekkers  
#5 Posted : 05 January 2007 11:54:27(UTC)
Rudi Bekkers

Hi Lars. Yes, I though about a big capacitor too (called it battery ;-). Issue is that there is not soo much place in the cars. Up to now, I was able to make the lighting totally invisible (much better than Marklin's original one!) All components go in the coach toilet (that has non-transparant windows). All wires are invisible, they either go via the toilets, or they go *under* the metal plate at the bottom of the car, from coupler to coupler.

I'm affraid such a cap would take more place than, say, and 7815 (though I never touched one). Another issue is that the operating voltage must be pretty high, given the voltages on the tracks. Last thing is that each extra car would require an extra capacitor, to make up for the extra power consumption. Also, some cars, like restauration chaches, have no toilets (;-) so I cannot hide any components in there.

Maybe I should add a bagage car to each of my car sets, full of capacitors, batteries or electronics ;-)

Nevertheless, it's an option to use larger capacitors. I seem to remember, though, that something like a 470 uF 63V capacitor I used earlier on in braking circuits also left light flickering. Anything as large as that, or larger, would not easily fit, as you can deduct from this picture that has this capacitor on a PCB.

I keep on working on it!

Best, rudi
Offline laalves  
#6 Posted : 05 January 2007 12:26:53(UTC)
laalves

Check the still unavailable Viessmann 5063 at http://www.viessmann-mod...sprache_nr=2&gr_nr=2

It would be interesting to check the circuit schematics of this thing.

Luís
Offline xxup  
#7 Posted : 05 January 2007 13:00:23(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Oh that's a nice looking little gadget...
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline perz  
#8 Posted : 05 January 2007 13:32:32(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
There are several sources for flickering lights on a digital layout:

1. Flickering due to asymmetry of the digital signal.

This kind of flickering is caused by the fact that different digital messages have different ratio between the positive and negative voltage.This kind of flickering only occurs when half-wave rectifiers are used. Typical example is when you use the loco/car body as return for a lamp controlled via a decoder, or when you use LED lights without a full-wave rectifier. This kind of flicker does not occur in coaches with normal light bulbs without a function decoder. The full wave rectifier + small capacitor solution will cure this kind of flicker .

2. Flickering due to bad contact.

If you can't improve the contact, only a large capacitor or a battery will help. If you use lamp sockets, the problem could be bad contact in the lamp sockets, and then an ever so big capacitor will not help you!

3. Flickering due to weak power feed

With weak power feed, the variation in current draw caused by varying load on the loco will cause a fluctuation in the track voltage. The problem can be either the wiring or the voltage stability of the control unit/booster. Cured by better wiring and/or stronger (possibly regulated) power supply/booster.

4. Flickering due to intermittent shorts

If there is something causing intermittent shorts that are short enough to not trigger the over-current protection, this can also cause flickering. There are many possible sources for this kind of problem.

Offline Rudi Bekkers  
#9 Posted : 05 January 2007 15:49:14(UTC)
Rudi Bekkers

Thanks, Perz. I will try to see in more detail what causes the flickering in my case. In any case, given the strong suspicion of low frequency fluctuation, I am now looking at a voltage regulator design. Good, but as simple as possible.

I apologise in advance to be maybe too technical for some of the forum members, but I just want to settle this for once and ever ;-). Feel free to ask for explanations, though. And sorry to be lengthy, too (prefer to consider things now over making too many designs...)

OK, so if we want to introduce stabilizers ('7805-series') and choose their types, there are a few considerations:
- The feed should be at least the specified voltage drop on top of output voltage, in the worst case of voltage fluctuation.
- The feed should not be too high, as it would increase the power dissipation of the regulator itself and pose unnecessary load to the MS/CS/booster.

Preferably, I would be able to use my installed sets of six 3-volt lights. They offer a very nicely distributed light and because I run them below their operating voltage, lifetime is expected to be exceptionally long.

In addition, I have a few 'design rules' on my layout:
- Only the first coach of a set may have a slider (placed directly behind the loco). This is because I use an automation system, an if the last car would have a slider, it would confuse the automation when such a train would be leaving a station again.
- It should work with one-pole couplers between the cars (actually I use Viessmann two-pole conductors, they are ok but I find them still not reliable enough to chain them in a set of three or four. So I connect the two connectors, which greatly increases reliability.). This point implies that each car should be able to work from a wheel chassis connector

In addition, I would prefer to have electronics as much as possible in a single car.

The most straightforward would be to measure the output of the full rectifier (around 20 volts unloaded?) and use, for instance, an 7815. Disadvantage is that this would probably mean I need to install new lights, as the effective voltage left for the lamps drops by some volts, and they will dim too much. Another disadvantage is that this would require 2-pole couplers from car to car, and I would like to use one-pole ones. Possibly, there are some tricks to tackle this: by including *half* a rectifying circuit in each car (!) I could use a single pole coupler and have a wheel chassis ground at each car.

Another, more creative option I see is to use a singe diode rectifier (!), outputting around 40 volts. This way, I could overcome a possibly too low voltage drop. Advantage is that now I could generate a stable DC voltage with regard to the wheel chassis, so no electronics at all in the remaining cars. (This is as if you connect a battery to the wheel chassis; no matter how messy the signal is, the other pole of the battery is equally messy and the voltage over the battery is perfectly stable.). In this scenario, however, I should check whether the voltage drop over the stabilizer is not too high (specifications as well as dissipation). Also, it would load only one state of the MS/CS/booster, but then again all of the digital braking designs posted on this site do the same.

Any thoughts? Would you have other preference, or maybe ideas for other designs?

Thanks, Rudi

Offline perz  
#10 Posted : 05 January 2007 16:05:16(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Possibly, there are some tricks to tackle this: by including *half* a rectifying circuit in each car (!) I could use a single pole coupler and have a wheel chassis ground at each car.

This requires access to both "red" and "brown" in each car. So with your "design rules" it is not possible to have the half of a full-wave rectifying circuit in each car.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Another, more creative option I see is to use a singe diode rectifier (!), outputting around 40 volts.

With a single diode, you will get a half-wave rectified signal of 20 V. This can be evened out to a 20 V DC with a large capacitor. To get 40 V you will need a more complicated circuit. It is possible using only diodes and capacitors, but these solutions are usually not capable of suppying a lot of current.
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 05 January 2007 16:49:31(UTC)
H0

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Rudi Bekkers
<br />Another, more creative option I see is to use a singe diode rectifier (!), outputting around 40 volts.

With this design (<u>Edit: using two diodes</u>), you'll have ground, +22V and -22V. But (as someone mentioned before), the digital signal is not symmetrical; one of these voltages will always come from the capacitor while the other voltage is on the track. So if flickering is an issue, this may be the wrong approach.

Maybe the flickering is by design if using an MS: there must be times without track voltage to allow the mfx decoders to send their feedback to the MS. This could be the explanation if you don't see this flickering using Delta or CU6021.

I have an IB and I see some flickering with 6090 locos that have light bulbs. The relation between + and - on the track changes depending on which loco address is updated. I don't see any flickering with my 60901 locos.

Rudi: do you see flickering lights with your non-LED locos? If no, search the problem in your design; if yes, the problem may be with the track power.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline perz  
#12 Posted : 05 January 2007 17:42:15(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Maybe the flickering is by design if using an MS: there must be times without track voltage to allow the mfx decoders to send their feedback to the MS.

According to so far known information about the mfx feedback, this is not the case. The mfx feedback is superimposed on a constant +20V or -20V signal. See http://www.mue473.de/mfxrahmen.htm. This is different from the DCC feedback principle, where the track voltage is turned off during feedback.
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote::Originally posted by Rudi Bekkers

Another, more creative option I see is to use a singe diode rectifier (!), outputting around 40 volts.

With this design, you'll have ground, +22V and -22V.

No, with a single diode you will either have +22V or -22V, not both.
Offline laalves  
#13 Posted : 05 January 2007 17:43:37(UTC)
laalves

6090 based locos only use half wave rectifying, and return to chassis ground.

There's a very easy way to go around this, and it has been discussed here before. Check: http://www.pallund.dk/convert2.htm#m4

I have done that on a 3769 with success. This 3769 has been converted to Loksoundmfx in the meantime...
Offline Rudi Bekkers  
#14 Posted : 05 January 2007 22:39:20(UTC)
Rudi Bekkers

Hi all,

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. I think I am one step closer now... Examining the track signals with a oscilloscope reveals that the output of my Delta booster indeed has a significant level of LF fluctuation.

Let's look at the pics.... Please excuse the poor quality. Seeing a picture on the oscilloscope screen is one thing, picturing it is another (if anyone has a nice of these nice, new digital Tektronics storage scopes with USB left he does not use - you have a buyer;-)

The picture below shows the output signal. Two digital signals can be seen, a relatively slow one (the old Motorola protocol, I assume) and a higher frequency one (possibly the MFX RDS signal - I did not check that really). The signals superimpose.

Note the considerable level of fluctuation. The scope uses a 1:10 probe, so one division is 20 Volts. So the fluctuation is close to 5 volts (25%).

UserPostedImage

Another picture, again showing fluctuations.
UserPostedImage

The next pic suggest it might be an DC issue - the booster has problems staying at the correct level after a fast pulse train came by.

UserPostedImage

And, as comparison, the output of a unloaded MS. A quite stable signal, no fluctuations.

UserPostedImage

However, I do not yet know what causes it. Is it the Delta design (when used as a booster). Though using Delta as a booster was 'officially' advertized by M* itself, that was before the MFX protocol was introduced. Or is it a result of the load? (There are quite some consumers on the tracks - trains, coaches, braking circuits). (And especially the latter are suspect - the capacitors there may load the booster too much).

I can do two things:

- Find the cause of the fluctuations. If it is the load or my wiring, I might repair it, if it is a design issue of Delta and/or the protocol when loaded, bad luck.

- I might build voltage regulators in my coaches after all. Because everything else - the train motors, the braking, works perfectly fine.

Any comments welcome.

/rudi

Offline hmsfix  
#15 Posted : 07 January 2007 00:14:01(UTC)
hmsfix

Very interesting findings!

I can confirm that the density of connection tracks where you feed power to the layout tracks plays a major role concerning flickering lights. If you add more connection points flickering will be improved.

On my new layout I have 25 power connection points for 22 - 23 meters of track (due to the many semaphore sections and layout module borders), and the flickering problem has got very small.

Moreover, I use current conduction couplers between the coaches, and they work very reliable so far. The slider is on the last car, i.e. as far apart from the loco as possible (and therefore it is almost always in a power supply section different from the loco's one). Eventually I'll add a second slider on the same coach.

I made the following test: On a long track section (4 m of K-track in my case) I connected the CU to one end, the oscilloscope to the other: the oscilloscope displayed the usual digital signal from the CU, not spectacular at all.
Then I put my PA-1 on the tracks and run it at the lowest (!) speed step. When the loco was at the powered end of the track section, nothing happened on the oscilloscope screen. Well, some minor voltage fluctuations, as the loco draws some current.
However, when the loco was at end remote of the CU, I noticed considerable voltage changes across the track:

UserPostedImage

This oscilloscope plot shows the digital voltage (vertical resolution is 10 V per section, timebase resolution is 5 ms per section): you can clearly see the 38.4 kHz bursts with the digital information as black bars. And you see that some "edges" are missing (red pointers). This is due to the loco which periodically draws current from the tracks, and because there is a voltage loss on the 4 meters of track.

You can see the loco's load regulation at work now. When the motor is "online" (which happens every 10 ms and lasts for around 2 ms), the voltage breaks down from 18 V to 14 V. Any coach light would flicker here, naturally.

Therefore, my proposal is: more points where power is fed to the tracks.

Hans Martin
Offline DamonKelly  
#16 Posted : 07 January 2007 14:28:43(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
Hans Martin,

I'll play "Devil's Advocate" here.
Are you absolutely certain the "missing edges" are real? They could be caused by too low bandwidth in acquisition, or the limited resolution of the display. Unlikely, I know, but worth considering.

As regards regulators, that would seem the obvious solution -- actually a bridge rectifier (4 x diodes, large value electro cap) followed by a linear regulator. Good linear regulators are available in SOT-23 and SC-70 packages, along with good SMD high-value electrolytic capacitors. I know that working with SMD devices manually is a royal PITA, but it can be done. Also, you can get "prototyping" PCB boards with a selection of land patterns you can cut out.

The main thing to check is that the maximum input voltage is &gt;24V or so. Vin max = 28V is becomming common, and automotive applications usually specify 42V. Also check the power dissipation in the regulator for the expected bulb load. In this instance, LED's would appear better.
Cheers,
Damon
Offline efel  
#17 Posted : 07 January 2007 14:51:50(UTC)
efel

France   
Hi Rudi,

Here are some comments that are valid for incandescent light only (not LED), as in your case, supplied between "red and brown":

-The digital signal code is not responsible for flickering: in fact the voltage is always +VS or -VS i.e. same power delivered to the light, whatever the duration of + and - (rise time and fall time neglected). Then the rectifier is of no use in that respect.

-Conversely, the variation of +VS or -VS will lead to a power variation for the bulbs, i.e. a flickering, if the frequency variation is small. It's the case of the delta booster. In that case the diode rectifier + filter is usefull only if the capacitor is big enough. As you say, in your case 100 uF are too small.

-The voltage regulator may be usefull if its output voltage is lower than the minimum instantaneous VS (minus drop voltage of the regulator). That means something like 10V regulated: can be too small for your lights, and means high power dissipation for the regulator. Except if the filter capacitor is big enough, but, in that case, the regulator may be useless.

I think that the delta booster is too weak. In fact, a LF 5V fluctuation (peak to peak) is observed with only a 0.6A load! It's the reason why I personnally gave it up.

Sorry to give you only negative feedback!

Fred

PS: May be a positive idea: Why not improve the delta 4F booster itself using a larger filtering capacitor (following the rectifier) and, if possible, a full wave rectifier? (I dont know the delta booster schematic, but seeing the signal loaded output, it looks like a rectifier/filter weakness). Opening the box in a clean way has been given in this forum (search....!)

PS2: If you make some modifications of coach lighting, why not take the opportunity to add a decoder to switch OFF the lights during the day?

Offline hmsfix  
#18 Posted : 07 January 2007 16:36:38(UTC)
hmsfix

Hi friends,

Hmm, modifying a Delta 4F to full wave rectification is not quite easy: you'll need two transformers for each booster (or one transformer with two 16 V output windings). Remember the one-way-rectifier of the Delta 4F produces +18 V and -18 V from one 16 V AC input, impossible with a full wave rectifier.

I suppose MS/CS are better in this respect, as they have full wave rectification ? As a consequence I would expect that light flickering is reduced.

Damon, I made some further tests. This time I have also displayed the current flowing from the CU to the loco on the 2nd oscilloscope channel. As you can see: current peaks and missing voltage edges coincide perfectly, and you can nicely see the coach lights flicker with the motor humming sound. Acquisition bandwidth should be o.k. (100 MHz), display resolution is lower, of course (~20 kHz).

UserPostedImage

If you examine the osciloscope plots very carefully, you also find a superimposed 50-Hz-fluctuation of the voltage. As was discussed above, this come from the one-way-rectifier of the CU and makes the flickering problem even worse.

However, I think a voltage regulator is not a bad idea. And it reduces the brightness of the coach lighting, which is usually too bright for my taste.

Hans Martin

Offline jorge_vilarrubi  
#19 Posted : 07 January 2007 18:40:52(UTC)
jorge_vilarrubi

I am in the process of installing Led lighting in all my coaches.
The method I have chosen is as follows:
A special printed circuit board has been built for the project.
Every window deserves a led for good illumination.
Full wave rectifing is used in conjunction with a capacitor. A diode bridge labeled "DF10" and a 22uF cap. are used.
Full track voltage is fed to all coaches.
Every Baggage car holds a decoder for lights control of the whole train.
Different resistor are used to set the same level of illumination in all coaches, no matter how many leds they have.
The results are quite good: no noticeable flickering, ease of mounting, affordable costs.
Jorge Vilarrubí
Buenos Aires
ARGENTINA
Offline efel  
#20 Posted : 07 January 2007 21:29:21(UTC)
efel

France   
Hi,

I think Jorge gives the good example. After giving opinion/ ideas on the question, we could instead give our own solution for avoiding coach light flickering.
Rudi,
maybe you should open another topic titled "Who solved the coach light flickering problem using incandescent lamps, and how?"

Here is one answer:
Track:C
Max lenght between 2 feeders: 2m
CU: 1x 6021+home made booster
Number of locos simultaneously: 5 (but most of time 1 or 2 are stopped at signals.)
lights: Standard Marklin bulb lighting, directly fed by the track voltage
4 coaches; 1 pick up shoe for the whole coach consist.
coupling: mix of Marklin fix current conducting stick and Viessman cc coupling.
Ground: 1 Marklin boogie contact per coach.
Result: No noticeable flickering.

I really think that the booster is the key component.

Have fun!

Fred
Offline wurttemberg  
#21 Posted : 08 January 2007 23:21:57(UTC)
wurttemberg

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:[i].. I included the full rectifier circuit (using fast Schottky diodes, the 1N5819), and a 100 uF capacitor. Lights are a set of five 3-volt incandescent tube lights, distributed over the car.

Result? It still flickers strongly!!! Not so much on my test layout with a Delta station (which has been noted by others too), but a lot on my bigger layout (using two MS and three Delta’s as boosters).

Hi Rudi,
Interesting Issue ! Maybe this can explain why the above does not work.
The digital signal is by its nature asynchronus (as has been stated by several others). However, a full-wave rectifier would in principle create a "perfect" DC output. This is also true if being applied correctly as is proven by several decoders (60901 etc.) by using the correct DC return to the decoder.

However the problem, probably lies in your "design rules"
- Only one connector (red) should feed all coaches by only one connector approach.
- This means that each coach has to use its own wheels as "power return/ground".

The problem is that this approach short-cuts the diodes i your full-wave diode bridge ( red and brown are being used as "AC - input" to the full-wave bridge) - The DC + is being connected through your "connector cable" to each coach. BUT each coach will then direct the "DC -" the return to the wheels, which unfortunately is the same as the "AC-input". And thus shortcuts one of the diodes. The consequence is that you still only have a half-wave rectifier ! And that will surely flicker a lot. There is unfortunately no way that you can have a full-wave rectifier and only "one-connector" feed, and thus the DC-return through the wheels. One solution, if you want to go for full-wave rectifier is to have a "2-connector" solution, and two separate wires through each car. (One is the DC + and the other DC-/return), and lights must be totaly isolated from the car wheels ("brown"). That will work very fine.

However the problem to solve the flicker is simpler than that (for incandescent lights). Do not bother any diodes at all - just connect the light stack to the "red" and the other end of your lights to the ground/wheels/"brown" of each car.

As I understand, this is exactly what Perz and efel already has said, and I fully agree.

I have several coaches being wired this way - no flickering at all. (and driven by 6021 - 60 VA transformer)

Hope this would clarify a bit of your problems !

P.S. There is of course a third option if the "one-connector" approach is a must, and you really want DC to power the lights:

- Have one pick-up slider on one coach.
- Let the "Digital AC" (red) power from pick-up slider run through the one-cable connector to each and everyone of succeding coaches.
- Have one full-wave bridge being installed in EACH coach, being connected at the "AC" side to the "red" and "brown" (through the weels), and let the "DC" side power the lights in each coach, making sure there are no connection to the coach chassis/wheels.
The advantage here is that it works with both incandescent lights as well as LED:s, but requires more H/W and cost (one full-wave rectifier unit in each coach)

Offline Rudi Bekkers  
#22 Posted : 09 January 2007 16:00:56(UTC)
Rudi Bekkers

Thanks Hans, for additional testing, and Fred, Jorg, and others, for commenting. Sufficient track feeds are important and might yet be another reason why flicker occurs, but I am not yet sure this is the very source in my case.

To understand the origin of the LF fluctuation, I tried to do some more systematic testing this weekend. To this end, I built a simple test circuit: a circular track with one loco, a power controls (either an Delta 4f, an old Delta, or an MS), and different light bulb configuration (connected directly, via rectifiers, or via voltage regulators). This way I removed any uncertainties possible related to my layout, the use of Delta’s as a booster etc, these is the simplest layout one can build.

I did 3 tests for each configuration:

1. Light bulb directly connected to the tracks

2. Light bulb connected to one-way rectifier (1n5419 Schottkey diode plus 100 uf capacitor). Two variants:
2a. Current flows from slider to wheels (i.e. loading the positive flank)
2b. Current flows from wheels to slider (i.e. loading the negative part of the signal, which is on average present more often than the positive one)

3. Light bulb connected to one-way rectifier (1n5419 Schottkey diode plus 100 uf capacitor), and then regulated by a 7812 voltage stabilizer. (I changed the bulb voltage here to adapt to the lower output voltage).

For the lights, I used a chain of 3-Volt tube lights connected in series. I changed the number of lights in the chain to deal with lower voltages (e.g. for the 7812 test). The series of lights draws approx. 50 mA. All loco tests were done with an 34060 Delta locomotive.

I did not try full rectification, as my layout has a number of digital braking circuits (which are by themselves ingle rectifier-based) and I want it to work well over there too. Because flickering issues attract more attention in these stopped trains than when they are driving. Also, earlier test showed that full rectifiers do not solve the flickering per se.

Test A: Feed by a Delta 4f (66045), powered by an ‘old blue’ 40VA transformer.

In configuration (1), with no trains, the light shines fine. When the loco is started, the light starts to flicker. Overall light level remains the same, however.

In configuration (2), there is constant flickering. Even extra bulbs that are directly connected to the rails, flicker. In (2b), the flickering is somewhat worse than in (2a). Too bad, because 2b is the situation that will occur in digital braking sections.

In configuration (3), the light is always free of flicker, regardless whether trains drive or not.

Test B: Feed by an old Delta (6604), powered by an ‘old blue’ 40VA transformer.

Basically, the same as test A. The overall flickering seemed a bit less than in A, but occurred in the same situations.

Test C: Feed by an 1.2 amp MS, , powered by an ‘ugly black box’ (the 18VA transformer that accompanies it in the start sets).

In configuration (1), no flickering is seen. Driving the train does not introduce flicker, but does lower the overall light intensity quite viewable. Possibly, this is due to a voltage drop when this little transformer is loaded.

In configuration (2), the lights flicker, independent of whether a loco is driving or not. In the latter case, the intensity lowers but the same level of flicker remains. I did see little difference in (2a) and (2b).

Conclusions

- None of feeder tests (Delta 4f, Delta or MS) are entirely without flicker in all three configurations.
- Both MS and Delta units start to flicker when faced with asymmetrical loads. This is bad, because the braking circuits in my track by definition create such loads.
- In addition, the Delta units flicker as well when train loads are added.

Hans’s observations that these fluctuations are related to power draw are quite plausible – I’ll try to confirm, though I do not have a memory scope (though I do have an current probe for my oscilloscope).

I do not now how other CU’s or the CS behaves. I don’t have these (might once try them….). Possibly they have better circuit designs and deliver better results. In any case, my measurements are done with simple means (some bulbs, a train, a diode, a cap) so many of you could repeat them, if you like to, an a CS for instance.

For the time being, I see the addition of voltage regulators to all coaches as the only. After measuring the (true RMS) AC voltage on the tracks in my layouts in different situations, as well as the resulting DC after rectification, I decided I will settle on a 7812 regulator – with this one, there is always the necessary 3 volts drop for the regulator, even in the worst case. With a power draw of 50mA, it works fine without cooling, also when the voltage is higher. Since I use a series of tube lights, I can vary the numbers of lights (or make to chains) to adapt to other voltage levels.

I tested this regulator connected to different parts of my large layout as well (also in braking sections and under different system loads), it seems fine. I will soon try how it really looks when installed in a car.

Sorry to be so long again…..
/rudi

PS. I kind of decided not to use LED’s for lighting. I did several projects with them, one where a coach has its own microcontroller, which controls the nine LEDs individually (each is above one seating place). I reported it in this threat : https://www.marklin-user...archTerms=ultimate,light (sorry moy browser here does not allow to include real URL's)

Though this car works great, it is far to time-consuming to make for all my cars, and by design (draws tool much power to be used in large quantities (current flow by each LED). Finally, I experimented with several different makes of white LED’s (some with ‘yellowish’ diffusers) but I do not like their light and light coverage pattern as much as I do with tube lights, especially when you put – say – seven of these evenly over the length of the train. And series of tub lights can be easily soldered together and then installed with just a few bits of Scotch tape to the inside of the roof (or better: use black music stage tape). This is so lean that you cannot see them – even if you look in from below. I have one 37265 M* ET-87 train with integrated yellow LED’s and they are – well what can I say – way to yellow. Unnatural really.

PS2. Larger capacitors did not change much in the test. I tried up to 1000 uF, and there was little difference (well, some, but not close to elimination of flicker at all). Larger values than 1000 uF seem unfeasible to me, as I they need to be 25 Volts model at the least and these ones are simply too much to put invisible in a car.

this threatthis threatthis threat[/url][url]
Offline hmsfix  
#23 Posted : 09 January 2007 21:43:22(UTC)
hmsfix

Rdi, very interesting tests, I completely agree with that: using a one-way-rectifier with small capacitor (50 - 100 uF) and adjacent 7812 voltage stabilizer is the most practical and efficient way to achieve a flicker free coach lighting.
BTW it is not that easy to make a 1000 uF capacitor fit in a passenger coach. Preisers will not be amused, probably biggrin.

Using current conducting couplers it might sufficient to use a single voltage stabilizer (there are 7812 versions for 1 A, 3 A, and even 5 A), situated in the coach with the slider. My experience with Märklin/RTS couplers is that electric contact is very reliable.

Hans Martin
Offline Rudi Bekkers  
#24 Posted : 09 January 2007 23:22:21(UTC)
Rudi Bekkers

Hans,
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Using current conducting couplers it might sufficient to use a single voltage stabilizer (there are 7812 versions for 1 A, 3 A, and even 5 A), situated in the coach with the slider.
I did some tests with that. When I loaded a 7812 (i.e. one amp version) with one chain of lights (50 mA) it did not warm up at all. When I added four light chains, something like 200 mA, and run it for an hour or so, I felt it warming up. Not alarming, but still quite a bit. Not surprising, as the stabilizer has to dissipate the voltage drop over it, times the drawn current. Of course you are right that there are higher current versions (78S12 etc), but also they have to dissipate the same energy in one way or the other.

I want to be on the safe side, that is, if track voltages are higher than in my current test situation, I do not want burning stabilizers. And I do not have place for cooling bodies.

But it is no problem to have one 7805 per car. They are very cheap, and easily can be taped to the coach roof without being seen. I will do a single rectifier in the first car (i.e. the one with the slider) and bring the (unstabilized) DC (wrt the wheel ground) by single pole conductors from car to car.

Best, Rudi
Offline Rudi Bekkers  
#25 Posted : 15 January 2007 14:57:02(UTC)
Rudi Bekkers

Hi all,

This weekend I did some extensive testing with the coach design that uses regulated voltage stabilizers. Conclusions are positive: now the lights do not show any visible flicker at all.

Features of this design are:
- It provides flicker-free lighting, regardless of the loading conditions of the layout
- It works equally well in braking sections as in normal sections, as it relies solely on a single rectifier instead of a full bridge rectifier.
- It allows for any number of cards, as the electronics that would need to be scaled up are located in the individual cars
- Using parallel connected 2-pole conducted results in a very reliable power feed between the cars
- Using two wheel mass sliders in each car (except the first) results in reliable ground connections
- Components are few and small and can be installed without being visible at all.
- Using four tube-type incandescent lights results in well-distributed light coverage in the coach.

The design is as follows:
UserPostedImage
Note that the power feed between the cars is at an approximately -15 to -17 Volts (yes, minus) with regard to rail mass. This is done as the in the M* protocols, the negative signal occurs most often than the positive one, and braking sections only have the negative feed.

The capacitors (220uF each) are placed in the individual cars. I first had one in the first car only, but after adding the third car, this proved to be inadequate. I suggest 220uF per car to be the minimal value.

The 7812 in each car is loaded by approx. 50 mA. This is so little that it does not warm up at all. Nevertheless, I put them just below the roof with their metal side facing downwards, just in case.

I tested in combination with Delta 4f’s as boosters, but given its design it is most likely to work in combination with any type of powering (MS, old Delta, 6021, etc.)

I only faced one problem, and that was some (light) flickering on the most remote part of the layout. I am indebted to Hans Martin here: it indeed seems that the resistance formed by numerous rail-rail connections starts to play a role and lowers the available voltage to a level below the minimum input for an 7812. Adding an extra power feed to that remote part solved the problem. I did not notice this voltage drop earlier (e.g. slower driving trains), but this again shows how important it is to feed the tracks on a layout at multiple placed, instead of relying on a single connection only.

Hope this might be of some help to others... I plan to adapt my other car sets in the next weeks...

/rudi
Offline Timaximus  
#26 Posted : 15 January 2007 15:37:30(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
Very clear "schema" and explanation Rudi,

Thanks!

Timaximus
Märklin | HO | C+K Track | Digital | I+II+III+IV+V | Power and control by Uhlenbrock | Win-Digipet
Offline rugauger  
#27 Posted : 15 January 2007 15:52:11(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Hi Rudy
Thanks for all your hard work, and the schema looks great. Can you give more details on these type-type lights? Where do you source them from?
Richard
Offline Rudi Bekkers  
#28 Posted : 15 January 2007 21:24:40(UTC)
Rudi Bekkers

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Can you give more details on these type-type lights? Where do you source them from?
Hi Richard,

The light bulbs I use are simple incandescent lights in the shape of a tube. There is one thin wire at each end (axial). They are approx. 1.5 cm long and the filament is almost as long as the light, alowing them to light coaches very well (I also came accros similar lights but where the filament was much shorter than the tube.)

A bulb similar to the one I use is shown here, though I use bulbs of 3 Volts, 50 mA instead.

I believe they are most often use to illuminate needle meters and (analog) frequency scales in radio's, etc. Even at there specified voltage, they seem to burn not to bright, certainly not at over-voltage. This suggests that, burning that way, they lifetime is very long. I use four (in series) to light a single coach. Before that, I used five or six (with a higher voltage), allowing also the balconies to be well lit.

I buy them from a local electronics store. I don't know where you live, but it should not be too hard to get some. In the US, Radio Shack would be the first place to look.

best, rudi
Offline hmsfix  
#29 Posted : 15 January 2007 21:52:16(UTC)
hmsfix

Congratulations, Rudi, this is a easy way to handle the flickering problem. For coach lighting, I also like electric light bulbs more than LEDs, because of their warm color.

There might be one problem, but I am not shure whether it applies to you. It has to do with the DC voltage at the conductive couplers: if there is a short circuit (say, the metallic Relex coupler of a loco touches the contact of the electric coupler of the coach with the slider, or the end of the consist) couldn't this kill the diode and then endanger the stabilizer chips (in case the diode has a complete break through) ? Eventually a small resistor with a few Ohms in series with the diode could prevent this disaster. Have myself ruined a few LEDs this way.

Hans Marting
Offline Rudi Bekkers  
#30 Posted : 16 January 2007 20:22:30(UTC)
Rudi Bekkers

Hi Hans,

You raise a valid and interesting point. In principle, such a situation might have effects.

In my case, however, I only run complete sets of (usually four) cars. At the outer sides of the sets, there are normal (not conducting) couplers. Also, I have the feeling that the conductors of the Viessmann couplers I use do not touch the metal parts of non-conducting couplers (though I did not check that).

But assume such a short circuit does happen, I wonder what the effect is. Possible, the diode will give up. On the other hand, the diode can stand 1 amps continuously and dissipate probably even a bit more, over a short time. Chances are that the circuit protection in the booster will activate before the diode dies, especially in situations where resistance in many rail-to-rail connections limit power as well.

But I prefer not to test that ;-) And anyway, next time I open the cars I might folow your suggestion and add a resister, which is a good idea as such (though it probably would have to be a 0.5 Watt version at least).

Best, rudi