Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Hans_Dietrich  
#1 Posted : 14 April 2003 21:28:18(UTC)
Hans_Dietrich

Thanks to forum member "Dampf" I received a number of 2003 catalogs including Roco. It seems that Roco has thoroughly embraced not only digital but also Loksound and has a number of new models with sound for AC-MM.
And speaking of sound: I also noticed that Uhlenbrock will bring out sound modules and I found another company, CT Elektronik (http://www.tran.at/), that seems to sell sound modules.
Has anybody tried sound modules from CT Elektronik?

Maybe there will be some choices for us who would like to add sound (easily I hope) to locos besides Loksound.

Hans

Hans ... Epoch I to V, M-track, IB with MS
Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 15 April 2003 00:30:35(UTC)
Webmaster

As I understand, those sound modules only work with NMRA DCC... Of course, with an IB it should be possible to make a 2-address "consist" with a Märklin decoder and the sound decoder as I see it...

I must say that Roco seems to be the most "soundworthy" alternative regarding new models, I'm still waiting for credible steam chuffs from Märklin...

You know, I once suggested to ESU that they should make a "LokSound Light" - a sound module you could add to your existing digital loco...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Hans_Dietrich  
#3 Posted : 15 April 2003 20:09:24(UTC)
Hans_Dietrich

Yes, it seems that those modules only work with DCC for now. I also could not find out what a decoder with "SUSI" is.
But now that other companies are bringing out separate sound modules, maybe your idea of a Loksound light will become reality.

Those ROCO locos look really nice. I wonder if there is still great variability in the quality from loco to loco. No ROCO dealer here (and Marklin only minimally) so no hope to actually see one.

Anyway, still looking for "easy" sound.

Hans

Offline Lars Westerlind  
#4 Posted : 15 April 2003 23:57:23(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Hello,
I think Uhlenbrock 76500+76520 (the ones with SUSI socket) are multiprotocol decoders, Digital2, for both DCC and Märklin protocol.

SUSI is described somewhere (maybe in their catalog) to be "the new standard ..." so I guess it will be possible to get a description from them.

Regards,
Lars Westerlind

Offline chris.busby  
#5 Posted : 16 April 2003 23:55:42(UTC)
chris.busby

The biggest problem with locos and other bits with sound is that it makes all the silent ones sound %&$@, or silent in other words.

I have a couple of Märklin locos with the horn sounds plus the Mehano G2000 with full sound, but I never turn it on now as it spoils the whole effect of the layout - what's the point of one loco with sound?

If I could replace everything with sound I may get excited, but whilst it is a low percentage thing I am not going to be using it.

Having said that, if you use only E-Locs then it isn't really a problem.... Anyone for a humming sound?

Chris

Chris Busby
UK Marklin Digital layout builder
Chris Busby
UK Marklin Digital layout builder and collector.
Offline Charlie  
#6 Posted : 17 April 2003 01:41:20(UTC)
Charlie

More about SUSI:

SUSI is short lingo for "Serial User Standard Interface".

It is supposed to be a new standard, adopted by several manufacturers of decoders. If you get a decoder with a SUSI connector, you can easily add a sound module, or other auxilary function modules later.

The actual connector is a 4 pole connector.

Uhlenbrock has a Susi connector in their new 76500 and 76520.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

Offline Hans_Dietrich  
#7 Posted : 21 April 2003 19:23:08(UTC)
Hans_Dietrich

Yup, the Intellisound modules seem to work only with one of the new 76500/76520 DC decoders. So no easy add on module to existing decoders.
Which of course means to convert field coil motors to DC and/or replacing existing decoders.

But the sound modules simulate screetching brakes when slowing down? Wow. Well, I agree that operational sounds may become bothersome, especially when several locos are running. But that's why digital is so great: We can turn functions on and off.

Hans

Offline kgsjoqvist  
#8 Posted : 12 May 2003 14:25:37(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
The new Intellisound decoders are sold as "Multipro" - they should work fine with Märklin/Motorola systems.

Does anyone know if the Intellisound can compete with ESU Loksound in performance? The price is very competitive indeed, but does it have all the "bells and whistles" (i e functions) of the Loksound... ?

/K-G

K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline acastell  
#9 Posted : 17 May 2003 23:38:23(UTC)
acastell

you may find some info about new decoders and SUSI in March issue of Locorevue ( p.55) in an article of Jacques Le Plat ( 9 pages ). Loksound enlarged the memory capabilities ( compared to the Loksound II) due to the "attack" of the Intellisound . It seems they are comparable in term of performance, but I will be waiting for a full review .
Ciao
Andrea