Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline tekin65  
#1 Posted : 16 October 2006 01:36:59(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
hi to all,

i need good advice once again. i was planning to do this at a later stage but hey, what the heck, sooner the better. i just can't wait to run my digital BR38 wilhelm II.

ok, i plan to end up with about 10 digi locos. besides i probably will have 15 - 20 control points (switches, signals, etc.) and i'd like to hook my digital system to a computer.

what hardware do i need to start this up? marklin or else? central unit? how many controllers? would i need a booster?

i would also like to end up with writing some software for us, i heard about NMRA compatible open Lenz protocol, does Marklin offer a sort of interface so we can develop software?

i've checked the digital corner but there seems to be nothing on this for a dummy :))

any input appreciated as always!

cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline rschaffr  
#2 Posted : 16 October 2006 03:19:20(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Right now there are no options for computer control with the new "Marklin Systems". In order to use computer control, you have to have older tehnology (Marklin 6021/6051 or an Intellibox). If you can afford to wait, wait to see how the computer control issue pans out with the Marklin CS. If you make the assumption (which is a good one, but no guaruntees as to when) that Marklin will eventually release the computer control information, I would buy the CS if you want to control digital now rather than invest in old technology. For those of us who already have the equipment, it is easier to take a wait and see attitude.

Recognize that if you go the DCC route, such as Lenz, you will not be able to control Marklin loks, but will have to convert them with another decoder, such as an ESU.

Hope this helps.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline rugauger  
#3 Posted : 16 October 2006 12:38:49(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Good points from Ron.
I'd just like to add that, if you really cannot wait (which I totally understand wink), get yourself a cheap(!) Marklin Mobile Station or 6021 Control Unit. It will allow you to run your beautiful BR 38 until such time as you've decided which direction you want to go.

Also, you can go DCC as long as you go for a central unit that can "talk" both digital protocols simultaneously, Marklin Motorola (MM) and DCC. Other than the Intellibox from Uhlenbrock (which is now the oldest) that Ron mentioned, there is the brand new ECoS from ESU, but I understand that computer control for the latter is not "quite there" yet.
Richard
Offline WelshMatt  
#4 Posted : 16 October 2006 13:57:30(UTC)
WelshMatt

I would advocate buying a cheap split from set Mobile Station via ebay. You can get them for under €20 brand new and with the transformer, track connection and manual. This will run your loco with no trouble at all, and in the event of wanting something more advanced later on you won't have spent a fortune.
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline tekin65  
#5 Posted : 16 October 2006 19:55:13(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
well, well,

this is going to be more exciting than i thought.

thanks a lot for much valued response guys. i think i'll choose to wait for more complex systems and go for a mobile station. but -here we go again- is there anything else i need apart from Mobile Station to control a decent set (say 3-4 locos and 6-10 control points)?

cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

Offline WelshMatt  
#6 Posted : 16 October 2006 20:27:02(UTC)
WelshMatt

As far as I know, the Mobile Station will have no trouble with the locos but can't control points. That's not a huge problem though - you can just use analog point control. The alternative would be to hunt down a 6021 along with the transformer and keyboard to control everything, but that would probably cost more than the MS and a few switches.
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline tekin65  
#7 Posted : 17 October 2006 00:23:08(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
not a bad idea! how about power? 18VA, 32VA or 60VA? what is the difference?

cem.

Now all eras but no ICE

Offline steventrain  
#8 Posted : 17 October 2006 00:40:37(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by tekin65
<br />not a bad idea! how about power? 18VA, 32VA or 60VA? what is the difference?

cem.

It would be 52VA 6002 for 6021 control unit,60VA 60052 for Mobile station or central station.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline john black  
#9 Posted : 17 October 2006 01:21:04(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by steventrain
<br />It would be 52VA 6002 for 6021 control unit

Cem: Of course you can also use each of the strong 60VA Cool
Transformers #6005 or #60052 (picture) for powering CU#6021:

UserPostedImage
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline perz  
#10 Posted : 17 October 2006 01:31:57(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by tekin65:
not a bad idea! how about power? 18VA, 32VA or 60VA? what is the difference?

cem.

It would be 52VA 6002 for 6021 control unit,60VA 60052 for Mobile station or central station.

The 18VA power supply is DC. It can be used for the Mobile station or as a separate supply for DC accessories (not both at the same time). It can not be used for the 6021 or the Central station.

The 32VA, 52VA and 60VA transformers can be used for Mobile Station, Central Station or 6021. The 32VA is a little bit too weak and will limit the capacity, but it will work. The older transformers will need a "special" cable to connect to the new MS or CS. This cable can be bought from Märklin, or you can buy the contact plug and solder it yourself. Polarity doesn't matter, since it is AC. The new 60052 can be used for the 6021 as well, but you may have to cut off the contact plug from the connector cable.

Offline kgsjoqvist  
#11 Posted : 25 October 2006 15:01:53(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by WelshMatt
<br />As far as I know, the Mobile Station will have no trouble with the locos but can't control points. That's not a huge problem though - you can just use analog point control. The alternative would be to hunt down a 6021 along with the transformer and keyboard to control everything, but that would probably cost more than the MS and a few switches.

There is a digital turnout motor for 3-way turnouts available from Viessmann. It works with Mobile Station, since it can use a loco address. Unfortunately there are not (yet) any of these available for ordinary turnouts.
K-G / H0 and Z model train user