Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dbmike  
#1 Posted : 15 October 2006 05:35:21(UTC)
dbmike

Are there any good color videos or DVD's showing Epoch III steam in operation out there, and that will play on USA spec players? Need some viewing pleasure for the long winter months, and good to play while working on my layout. Thanks Mike and Michele T
Due to budget shortfall, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off....mgmt.
Offline jerdenberg  
#2 Posted : 17 October 2006 12:24:17(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
Hi Mike,

From your layout pics I assume you are looking for DB etc. Perhaps this is a start? Don't know about region codes though; one of the more despiccable inventions of the last decennia [I have DVDs presenting 1950s US steam, and can play them because my player is region-free. The DVDs were offered for region 1 only; now what is the point in that??]

Jeroen
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
Offline dbmike  
#3 Posted : 17 October 2006 18:04:10(UTC)
dbmike

I think I found some of the DB in the mid 60's thru a UK hobby shop, awaiting a reply on whether they will play in a USA spec video player. I already have one issue of the series, there is more than DB stuff in each volume, but its all neat European trains. Its the European Video Express, put out by John Cocking. But yes era III of the DB is what I am looking for primarly.
Due to budget shortfall, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off....mgmt.
Offline verheyen  
#4 Posted : 17 October 2006 18:16:29(UTC)
verheyen

Go to <http://www.riogrande.de> and take a look. I have MANY of their videos on tape (had to get those converted until I had a multi-system VCR and DVD. The DVDs are PAL, but region 0 which means they'll play anywhere. The US is Region 1 and Europe Region 2. The PAL part could be tricker. It will work on your computer in any case. Cheaper DVD players, we have a $30 Cyberhome model from Radio Shack, seem to set up a little more flexibly, i.e. will handle both PAL and NTSC (US) as well being more likely to have hacks so you can set it to Region 0.

Back to Riogrande, their tapes are really terrific with lots of Era 3-5.

p.

ps. When ordering from Germany be aware that use of credit cards is not always easy and sometimes you just need to ask. Rio Grande is distributed by Verlag Gruppe Bahn (VGB) that also handles MIBA, Eisenbahn Journal, and some others. Once you're in the system it gets easier. Delivery is fairly quick and shipping not too bad. It helps to order more DVDs.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by dbmike
<br />Are there any good color videos or DVD's showing Epoch III steam in operation out there, and that will play on USA spec players? Need some viewing pleasure for the long winter months, and good to play while working on my layout. Thanks Mike and Michele T