Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Minok  
#1 Posted : 15 October 2006 04:25:49(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Greetings one and all.

I've been a fan of railroads all my life and arounde various German train sets off and on over time. I've always wanted to have a set of my own, and when I saw my uncle a few years back, playing with his son's Maerklin set more than the son was, I figured.. I might finally start looking into a set of my own. When my copy of "Ticket to Ride: Maerklin Edition" came in a few weeks ago, with the latest Maerklin catalog CD Rom, that was the straw that broke the long stale-mate.

So in looking for things, especially since I intend to look for used trains if I can, and am looking for more of Epoch IV and early V, I thought I'd start seeing whats what and how best to go about it. I don't want to just jump in and bid on ebay or buy from a shop until I know what proper prices should be for the market and what is available.

So I've been looking around for things like an FAQ and a Price Guide, but cannot seem to find them (for the United States that is). Is there one available someone can point me toward? I'm sure others ask the same questions. By the way, I'm interested exclusively in H0 scale, probably Maerklin Digital system (oh, the fun with computer control once the system is set up in a decade or so)

If not, here is what I'm curious about:

1) Prices - what are good prices to go by? How do I know if I'm getting a fair price, a good deal or being screwed? With no reference point, I'm stuck. Sure, in Germany there are dozens of shops you can visit and you get an idea... here in the US, its a different thing. How do I get a baseline?

2) My plan is to slowly now start building a collection. I don't see actually setting up the trains for probably at least 5 years or maybe more, down the road, as I first have to buy a house get it in a state of usable space for a train, and then have some free cash flow to pursue the hobby fully. However, there is no reason not to (or is there) to start buying bits and pieces now.

My interest is Digital Maerklin. I thought I'd buy one train (engine) per year; that way I spread out the aquisition costs. I'm probably looking at 5 or 6 locomotives I'd like to get (to cover those that I grew up with in Germany... the actual trains I rode on as a child, youth and adult). I figure its a modest way to get things moving as I can shake loose a few hundred every year without the wife going nuts.

Is this a bad idea? When I finally get the last parts 8-10 years from now (say, switches, lamps, rail yards, etc) will the digital system still be the same, or will I likely have to then upgrade the controllers in all of the locomotives? I figured the chances are that things would be stable enough for a long time.

3)What order to buy things?
As I said, my goal is to buy bits over the years, and I really don't want to end up with a bunch of extra parts I cannot use. If I start with a basic starter set, are those a 'better deal' than buying the parts individually?

I'd thought I'd just buy the locomotives or trains one at a time, and wait with the track and such things until I get around to actually building my layout 5+ years from now. However, without at least a loop of track and a basic controller, I cannot test each new acquisition to make sure it works right, before boxing it up and putting it in storage... so that speaks to buying a starter kit first. Does that sound reasonable?

4) Explain this pricing again?
In looking around, I thought, a good place to start is with an ICE train. So I see that I can buy a complete 5 car ICE3 train (no track or controller) for $752, OR I can buy a short 3 car ICE3 train with a loop of track, a side track, power supply and basic digital controler for $362. Now I'm sure the extra cars on the ICE3 are not cheap, but how much of that 2x price is for the 'newness of the ICE3 train' vs actual material value. Can someone clarify this for me?

5) Digital controlers. Ok so say I go with the ICE2 based starter set that comes with a simple controller (1 knob) and power supply. How easy is it to expand that system, without having to remove parts. Can one add power supplies in parallel as needed to provide juice (or stack the power supplies in some way).. or does one buy a bigger supply and get rid of the old?

Same with the controllers. If I later buy a dual engine controller (with 2 knobs) can I run that in parallel with the 1 train controller the basic set comes with to have manual control of 3 trains? The older generation digital system I saw in Germany at my uncles place in 2001 was not LCD based, but had basic push buttons where you would select a train ID, then issue a command to it, then change the train ID, etc.. I assume the new controllers do the same sort of things, but more and more user friendly.

I envision having a PC or some computer as a 'master controller' but also would like to have some manual controlers sprinkled about the layout for a hands on ability to play, and allow guests to play, so having a 1 train controller is not a bad thing, as its always something that can be placed in a remote spot on the layout, if it can work simultaneously with a more complex master control panel for the head engineer. ;-)

6) Quality
Do they make it the way the used to? I have visions of a turn table and train yard with engineering shops, garages, switching yards, 3 or 4 or 5 towns with stops (maybe some on a loop that goes through some walls and around the house). Do I look to get the older stuff and upgrade it to digital, or has Maerklin quality been relatively good over time and if I buy track and building and rail yards 5 years from now, its likely to still be good? Yeah, who can know about the future, but how does todays 2005-06 stuff compare with 2000 stuff vs 1990's stuff?

7) Where to buy?
Is there a good handfull of definative US places to buy ONLINE? I live in the Seattle, WA area and can certainly look around there for shops, or drive to Vancouver, BC, but are there key online shops beyond what one finds on ebay?

Thanks for answers, feedback, and constructive comments form anyone on my above rambling questions.

Minok
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 15 October 2006 04:36:35(UTC)
Webmaster

Welcome to the forum, Minok.

You pose a lot of questions here, and I am sure you'll get answers on these.

When it comes to the US pricing & availability, our US members will help you. Regarding Internet shops, it is usually a good idea to also consider the German online dealers as an option.

I must say your plans for the future look very sensible as a long term investment in time & money. Not all of us are that "sensible"...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Minok  
#3 Posted : 15 October 2006 04:42:14(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Webmaster
<br />Welcome to the forum, Minok.

When it comes to the US pricing & availability, our US members will help you. Regarding Internet shops, it is usually a good idea to also consider the German online dealers as an option.

I must say your plans for the future look very sensible as a long term investment in time & money. Not all of us are that "sensible"...

The only concern I have with European shops is that the shipping from Europe always seems to be insanely high unless you shop books. That said, I can always bring back a suitcase full of trains the next time I visit Mannheim. Smile

Well, the plan may sound sensible, whether I can pull it off is another question. I can see myself, 2 years down the road, knowing I have a small oval and 2 trains in the garage.. no longer being able to resist and just having to set it up... time will tell if I'm weak of will. Maybe if I bury the stuff deep enough in the garage, then my natural laziness will overpower my desire to play for the time being.... wink
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 15 October 2006 05:04:32(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Welcome to the forum Minok. You ask heaps of questions, so I will see if I can answer one or two for you.

Several US sites you can look at for Marklin:

www.ajckids.com
www.reynaulds.com
www.rocousa.com

Also, check out the Lokshop in Germany, www.lokshop.de.

I think starting off with a starter set is a great idea. Generally buying starter sets is much cheaper than buying the individual pieces, and it will give you something to play with as well. I brought my first set when I was 11, I'm now nearly 47. It is only in recent times that I've had any room in which to set up a permanent layout. Over the intervening years I have brought track, locos and rolling stock ready for the day when I might have somewhere to lay it all out.

I brought the ICE 2 train out of a starter set, without track and controllers - there are dealers on eBay who break up starter sets and sell the individual pieces. I got this train much cheaper than if I were to buy the equivalent boxed item here in New Zealand ($320 v's $1200). There is also an expansion pack for the ICE 2 set which has an additional carriage and lots of track for about 70 euros - very cheap for what you get. The controllers that come with the starter sets are limited to about 1.2 amps of output current, which is sufficient to power about 3 or so trains. There is a 1.9 amp version of the Mobile Station, as it is known, after that there is the Central Station which can power about 6 or 7 trains (maybe even more). If your layout grows, you can add boosters, which allow you to segment the layout into power sections, thereby allowing more trains to be run. There are also controllers made by other manufacturers, such as the ESU Ecostation, and the Intellibox. If you check out the ajckids site, there is a section on Marklin digital that may be useful.

In short, buying the starter sets with expansion packs is a great way to get going, and much cheaper as well.

The quality of Marklin stuff still seems very good. Looked after it will last you a lifetime.

Another suggestion I would make is to see if there are any Marklin clubs in your area that you could join. Check out the Links page on this forum for clubs and other online shops. Clubs provide lots of good advice, and usually provide a source of items that can be purchased by members.

Enjoy, it's a great hobby to be involved in. All the best - Dave.
Offline dbmike  
#5 Posted : 15 October 2006 05:30:56(UTC)
dbmike

Also keep an eye on what Mathias from Station500 has on ebay, he is a German dealer, prices are almost always much better than anything in the USA, and his shipping is super resonable! I highly recomend him for new digital marklin items. The digital from today will run with the digial of 10 years from now if my opnion, Marklin seems to keeep everything able to run together between the early motorola stuff and the newest marklin systems items. I am sure sound and ablities will improve greatly in the next 10 years. I was watching a demo at the Cleveland NMRA show of the new central station digital controler, and there is many more options and ablities unused according to the Marklin USA rep that was there, including a second controler just for layout control, ie turnouts, signals ect, that would be tied into the central station itself. While my portable layout is analog and stuck in the late 60's style control, when I start my permenant home layout, it to will be digital. Cheers Mike and Michele T
Due to budget shortfall, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off....mgmt.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 15 October 2006 05:39:39(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by dbmike
<br />Also keep an eye on what Mathias from Station500 has on ebay.

Agreed, he has some nice stuff. I'm yet to buy some stuff off him, but one day maybe. Here is the link to Station500's ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/station500-toys-and-more

You could also look at other ebay stores:

http://stores.ebay.com/M...v-Needfull-toys-com-Team

http://stores.ebay.com/L...l24/INTERNATIONAL-s.html

http://stores.ebay.com/johnvandamme

I brought the ICE 2 train from Needfull Toys, the price was good, and delivery from Germany to New Zealand took about 2 to 3 weeks.
Offline plavnostruev  
#7 Posted : 15 October 2006 06:43:02(UTC)
plavnostruev

United States   
Hello Minok,

Welcome to the forum (and to the hobby... again.Smile)
Quick disclaimer: I am a "junior" Marklin USA dealer
myself trying to elbow in with the big boys [}:)]
www.euromodeltrains.com

I can offer the following suggestions in helping you
to get started:

Shop around! Get yourself Excel spreadsheet, list items
of interest and get quotes from dealers. This way you'll
quickly establish "baseline" and will know fair going price
for an item.

No question, starter set is the way to go. I highly recommend
one of those MEGA sets with two MFX trains AND a Central
Station - the best digital controller Marklin has to offer.
These would be items 29825 and 29851, if you can swing a grand.
Talk about getting into Marklin digital with a bang!

I really like your plan as far as gradually adding to your
stable of locos, but watch out - those pesky Marklin locomotives
tend to multiply like rabbits and before you know it, you
need a bigger house just to accomodate new arrivals! biggrin

Buying from Germany can save you a little money, but
do consider the fact that some day you may need to turn to
a dealer for help, and who you gonna call - Ghostbusters?wink
So, think global but buy local!Smile

Have fun!
Mike

Offline rschaffr  
#8 Posted : 15 October 2006 07:16:47(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Minok:

Welcome. You get a lot of good advice here. I'll add mine. I was into Marklin in the 70's and 80's, then put them away for 20 years. When my interest was rekindled, everything had changed (digital!). I bought a mega digital starter set to get started, then went about converting my dozen or so analog engines over the past 5 years. A starter set gives you the gratification of getting up and running immediately with the chance to learn and experiment. It is also infinitely expandable. If you start out with one of the new Marklin Systems sets, you will ride the wave of innovation since new features and equipment will be introduced over the next few years. I am firmly entrenched in the "old-new" marklin digital, so the transition to the new mfx isn't as easy a road.

As to where to buy, there are a number of good, reputable dealers on this continent. I have bought from a number of them without a single bad experience...these include Eurorail Hobbies in Canada (www.eurorailhobbies.com - call Walter on the phone. He gives good advice), Martin Hoffmann (marklin-eh.com, also great to talk to and a member of this forum), Bill Ott (ModellbahnOtt.com), and RocoUsa.com (Micro Macro Mundo in Florida). There are others, but I haven't bought from them, but others here have. I agree that unless you are very fortunate, there aren't many shops you can wander into and just look around in the US. Prices tend to be a bit higher here, too than in Germany. The German dealers I use are lokshop and ETS (Eisenbahn Treffpunkt Schweikhardt). As said above, there are others that are reliable. The problem with buying from Germany is 1) the shipping cost and 2) the delivery time. It is much better to take it home with you, but we don't have that option normally.

It is a great hobby, and this is the place to be for information, opinion, and advice. Enjoy!
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline Minok  
#9 Posted : 15 October 2006 07:26:37(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br />Minok:

... so the transition to the new mfx isn't as easy a road.

So what is this MFX, is that just a fancier, expanded DIGITAL decoder with more features?

Near as I can gather DELTA is the first generation of digital with limited addresses and capabilities, DIGITAL is the newest version with much more that one can due (and one can control a DELTA train with a DIGITAL controller (?) ) and then MFX is an extended DIGITAL reciever on trains that supports more features in the trains. Is that right?
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline rschaffr  
#10 Posted : 15 October 2006 07:34:28(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
The principal difference is that the lok reports to the central station (or mobile station) and negotiates an address so you don't have to remember or insert an address. "Marklin Systems" (with mfx) also includes more speed steps and more functions. Yes, Delta was a limited digital capability. This was followed by the original Marklin digital which had more addresses (80) but was very limited on functions and performance. This was followed by "new" Marklin which had four functions. This also introduced acceleration and braking delays and speed regulation. This is a somewhat coarse review of the history as I recall it. Remember I came back into the hobby after most of these iterations were over and we were in the "Marklin-Motorola" or new Marklin Digital stage. Marklin Sytems (including mfx) only came out a little over a year ago.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline tekin65  
#11 Posted : 15 October 2006 08:43:16(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
hey minok,

welcome to the real world - he, he!

anyways, i see you are geeting real good advice here. and here is my experience so you'll draw your own conclusions:

like many people, i haven't touched my old marklin set for years. when i first saw the digital in catalogues i was realy afraid mostly economy-wise and that was back in the 80's.

recently i checked out ebay for marklin and voila; prices were down to a level where i could afford a digital set and some extra nice pieces for my analogue system. in the beginning i was not sure about how to go about digital-analogue but these days after spending some time in the forum and asking around i came to the conclusion that i'll built a two level system: one digital and one analogue. well, i am a romantic so i stuck to analogue but at the same time as a programmer i know the power of digital. also analogue is like "less is more" kind of thing for me.

having reached to the conclusion, i started to do some purchases on ebay; thus being my strategy: the first buy i'd probably be screwed but we're talking about $50 to 100. but this experience keeps you checking ebay and comparing prices, what kind of dealers you are after, good and bad advertising on ebay - important for winning fewer bidder auctions, etc.

hanging on in ebay i saw that there were many items broken and on sale for like 1/10 of the retail value. i can do some repairs and have experience with soldering and such stuff. so that was another good source for me.

and staying in touch with local modellers plus visiting this site regularly i'm getting good advice on how to go about digital.

my prediction for the future is simple: analog is what it is and never will go out of fashion. so i don't expect huge price fluctuations there. but digital is another story: every day something new keeps coming up - but the good side of it -as i understand- most new products are backward compatible so many of the digital hardware you buy today will be operable in many years to come.

somebody already mentioned but i feel the urge to say it again: if you will run the stuff you buy -meaning if you are not going to be a collector- at least buy a starter set so you'll expecience the joy of the hobby from day one. it is a torture having all those stuff and not being able to run them.

you will also discover that laying out the tracks is not enough, you have to have a diaroma (towns, garages, etc.) too. a small layout will give you the chance of start building a diaroma too.

one last and important thing, you will need a test tarck for your stuff anyway.

ok, so that was my experience. i think you started to make your mind up already.

welcome aboard.

cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline Minok  
#12 Posted : 15 October 2006 10:46:34(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Thanks for the good advice. I look over the layouts posted here and just drool. I'm already thinking I'll have to build a special out-building just for the trains.

Yeah, the starter set looks like the right place to begin. Get a known, good, solid starter set, and then build from there. That gives me a good base to work from. I have my list of lokos and trains I want to have in the setup. Beyond that, for now, being an appartment dweller, all I can do is start collecting the trains... but not for the sake of collecting. No way. To be used. I don't buy toys to keep in the boxes. I play with them. Whats the point of being in your 30's, having a job with your own money if you cannot buy yourself a kicking train kit! But, its just the locomotives (and maybe some rolling stock) for now. The track and layout must wait until a house comes along and I know what I have to work with. I see myself having to buy some older things and having to upgrade their electronics along the way.

The rest, at least 5 railway stations, dioramas, switching yards, etc.. thats all definitely in the future. I've always had the vision of some version of slot-cars running as well. I'm surprised that hasn't come along in the past 20 years. It should not take too much to get that sort of thing working. Oh, and there is the wild notion I have of a Transrapid humming along its track back and forth above the roadway.. depending on how ambitious I am as an actual scale model with real magnets, or maybe just a rail train, kitbashed into looking like a magnetic train.

Its been 5 years since I saw my uncles Maerklin digital setup in Germany and was pretty impressed with the cool digital stuff one could do. I can only imagine what the new stuff can do.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline jerdenberg  
#13 Posted : 15 October 2006 10:56:37(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
Hi Minok,

Welcome to the hobby! One small response: the slot car principle has been implemented in optically inproved form in the Faller car system, where the "slot" is now a conductor that can be hidden under the road surface. You can find some info on the forum, e.g. one of Alberto's early posts.

Jeroen
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#14 Posted : 15 October 2006 11:26:23(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Hi Minok. Here's an interesting site which lists all the model railroad clubs in a given area. This may be of interest to you. Cheers.

http://www.tfs.net/~jashaw/rrclubs/clubs.html
Offline steventrain  
#15 Posted : 15 October 2006 11:44:43(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hello and welcome to the forum Minok.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline WelshMatt  
#16 Posted : 15 October 2006 13:06:35(UTC)
WelshMatt

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bigdaddynz
<br />
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by dbmike
<br />Also keep an eye on what Mathias from Station500 has on ebay.

Agreed, he has some nice stuff. I'm yet to buy some stuff off him, but one day maybe. Here is the link to Station500's ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/station500-toys-and-more

You could also look at other ebay stores:

http://stores.ebay.com/M...v-Needfull-toys-com-Team

http://stores.ebay.com/L...l24/INTERNATIONAL-s.html

http://stores.ebay.com/johnvandamme

I brought the ICE 2 train from Needfull Toys, the price was good, and delivery from Germany to New Zealand took about 2 to 3 weeks.

Welcome aboard MinokCool

Koef2000 also has a good ebay store here http://stores.ebay.com/Koef2000

Ordered some C track from him, got from Germany to the UK in a week. I'm planning to buy a Mobile Station from him too - £26 is a bargain
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#17 Posted : 15 October 2006 13:37:25(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by WelshMatt
<br />
Quote:

Koef2000 also has a good ebay store here http://stores.ebay.com/Koef2000

Ordered some C track from him, got from Germany to the UK in a week. I'm planning to buy a Mobile Station from him too - £26 is a bargain

Agreed, again I haven't purchased from Koef2000.

Here's some US based ebay sellers

http://stores.ebay.com/E...trkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

http://stores.ebay.com/E...trkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

http://stores.ebay.com/T...trkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

Offline pat  
#18 Posted : 15 October 2006 14:28:33(UTC)
pat

Welcome to the forum Minok,ive used most of the ebay stores listed here with sucess in the past
worse things happen at sea
Offline WelshMatt  
#19 Posted : 15 October 2006 14:38:27(UTC)
WelshMatt

Having just said that £26 for an MS is a bargain, I've just checked some of the other sellers people have listed. I found needfull-toys has them for about £12! Anyone know if they take Paypal?
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline verheyen  
#20 Posted : 15 October 2006 18:01:15(UTC)
verheyen

Remember, when buying from Germany... you are not paying the 18% or whatever it is now VAT. Deduct the tax and it can negate the shipping charges.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Minok
<br />
The only concern I have with European shops is that the shipping from Europe always seems to be insanely high unless you shop books. That said, I can always bring back a suitcase full of trains the next time I visit Mannheim. Smile

In terms of dealers here, one of my favorites is Westend Trains in Toronto. I started buying from Canada when the exchange was much more favorable, but stick with them because of their great service and still very competitive prices. The URL is &lt;http://www.westendtrains.com&gt;.

Other good dealers are Reynaulds &lt;http://www.reynaulds.com&gt;
Also non Märklin but with with lots of AC models:

Euro Lok Shop &lt;http://www.eurolokshop.com&gt;
Euro Rail Hobby &lt;http://www.eurotrainhobby.com&gt;

I've done business with all and can highly recommend.

Don't be afraid to look at other manufacturers. Almost all make models to run on AC, others can be converted. Roco, Fleishmann, Kato, Guetzold, Brawa, Mehano, HAG, ... all make excellent models and rolling stock much of which runs more smoothly and is more highly detailed than Märklin. My feeling is that the collectors value of Märklin (in particular newer models) is also insanely overrated. Just look at the dumping prices on some "limited editions" that ended up being shelf queens...

Buy what you like from whomever makes the nicest model, run it, and enjoy the hobby.

p.
Offline Jeremy Palmer  
#21 Posted : 15 October 2006 18:39:06(UTC)
Jeremy Palmer

Barbados   
Hi Minok,

Welcome to thr forum.

Not sure if anyone mentioned Will Goodnight at Modellbahn Collectors.
Also in the forum is a huge directory of Dealers under links. You
will get the friendliest advice and help here.

Jeremy.
Jeremy.

1). If at first you don't succeed, bungee jumping mightn't be for you.
2). The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.
Offline Minok  
#22 Posted : 15 October 2006 21:09:26(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by verheyen
<br />Remember, when buying from Germany... you are not paying the 18% or whatever it is now VAT. Deduct the tax and it can negate the shipping charges.

&lt;snip&gt;

Don't be afraid to look at other manufacturers. Almost all make models to run on AC, others can be converted.

Thanks to everyone for the great recommendations, I'm building a list of shops, and URLs and implementing the spreadsheet. I plan to past in the images of the trains and whatnot ... a virtual multi-vendor catalog of sorts as I go hunting for loks.

Agreed, in the US we don't have to pay the VAT for purchases leaving the EU, but the shipping is still high. The thinking is, a 'dealer' or someone who gets larger shipments, can get more economical freight shipments and bulk pricing and that would mean a shipping from within the USA to me in the USA would be much less than shipping from the EU to me in the USA, even without the VAT added on. But I"m certainly going to consider any sources.

I think I've pretty much settled on a digital solution, so a basic A/C system is not what I'm looking for. What are the possibilities of getting a Fleischmann engine running on a Maerklin System layout? Certainly rolling stock, if its all HO, should work fine. I wonder how well the color schemes match up though.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline David Dewar  
#23 Posted : 15 October 2006 22:26:53(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Minok and welcome. Lots of good advice.
I note that you are thinking of buying a loco and then some track five years from now. By then the warranty will be out of date and all you have done is buy a loco to look at.
What I would do (and of course I am not you)is buy a Marklin start set and run the train (s) that come with it now. That way you will understand how everything works and will be able to plan for the future knowing what you want to expasnd the layout which at present can be on the carpet.
Perhaps the purchase of a station kit would also be a good idea to keep the interest going until you are ready to build something more permanent.
Although there are bargains to be had this is an expensive hobby and has been said above I have found lokshop to be reliable and with fair prices.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Minok  
#24 Posted : 15 October 2006 23:08:19(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by David Dewar
<br />Hi Minok and welcome. Lots of good advice.
I note that you are thinking of buying a loco and then some track five years from now. By then the warranty will be out of date and all you have done is buy a loco to look at.
What I would do (and of course I am not you)is buy a Marklin start set and run the train (s) that come with it now. That way you will understand how everything works and will be able to plan for the future knowing what you want to expasnd the layout which at present can be on the carpet.
Perhaps the purchase of a station kit would also be a good idea to keep the interest going until you are ready to build something more permanent.
Although there are bargains to be had this is an expensive hobby and has been said above I have found lokshop to be reliable and with fair prices.

David

David, what you suggest is absolutely correct. I've seen others experience the problems in not testing purchased equipment immediately, and just putting it away. At this point, its pretty much a given that I will start with an ICE starter set. I'll be able to easily set up and then run/test any new locomotives and trains. Its indeed an expensive hobby, which is why I plan to acquire things slowly, over time.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline David Dewar  
#25 Posted : 16 October 2006 01:27:02(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Minok. Well done. You will not regret buying a start set which will give you the information you need on Marklin systems etc. I dont have the ICE set and perhaps somebody who does can tell you what they think. There are also sets with metal locos and some will also have the mfx decoders fitted. Have a good look at all the sets and do ask about the ones you are thinking of buying as one of the members will probably have one and can give you their opinion. Check the prices and go with a dealer who is known to the forum as being reliable.

Have fun

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline HueyCE  
#26 Posted : 16 October 2006 03:15:53(UTC)
HueyCE

Welcome to the forum Minok. Some very good advice you have gotten already.
Ira
Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline nevw  
#27 Posted : 16 October 2006 04:57:52(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Be careful, the Ice Start set does not have Carriage Lights and AFAIK they cannot be fitted.
NEv
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#28 Posted : 16 October 2006 05:22:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by WelshMatt
<br />Having just said that £26 for an MS is a bargain, I've just checked some of the other sellers people have listed. I found needfull-toys has them for about £12! Anyone know if they take Paypal?

Yes he does take Paypal, or at least he did when i brought my ICE 2 this time last year. Not sure if he charges an extra 3% for using Paypal though - some dealers do. Cheers
Offline dbmike  
#29 Posted : 16 October 2006 06:00:56(UTC)
dbmike

You dont say which state your in, but I found some great vintage stuff, brand new in the box from as far back as the late 50's at Ormandys in Medina OH, which is just south of cleveland, but he has no website, just an oldfashoned train shop with a super museum with tons of marklin and other trains on the second floor. Mike
Due to budget shortfall, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off....mgmt.
Offline Minok  
#30 Posted : 16 October 2006 08:08:49(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I hear you. I'm already thinking strongly about rethinking the ICE starter set. Given the very limited configuration and seeming lack of flexibility, I'm really thinking about getting the ICE 1 or ICE 3 train. So for a starter set, I guess its all over then... as I'd just need to get some track and a controller to test new trains on. I cannot see the point of buying a starter set with a train that I'm not interested in owning...

ARGH!
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline dbmike  
#31 Posted : 16 October 2006 08:23:39(UTC)
dbmike

Get yourself to a dealer if at all possible and get some era V trains in your hands, I think you will be able to make up your mind once you do so. There are seveal dealers on ebay that sell a oval of C track with a passing siding as well as the mobile station controler, then you just need the train. I prefer era III myself, then I can run steam, electric and early diesels. Working catenary is in my future, but using the older Marklin stuff, the newer is out of my budget and does not fit my theme of a layout done in the late 1960's or early 70's. Let us all know what you decide to get. Cheers Mike
Offline hxmiesa  
#32 Posted : 16 October 2006 12:04:07(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Hi Minok,

Here´s my 2 (euro)-cents, regarding your points 2 and 3;

I have always practised a quite rigid buying-practice; expanding tracks, signals and other accessories. And LESS on locomotives, waggons and NOTHING in digital.
This has worked for ME; I can now build the layout I have always wanted, although I admid to be stuck in the analog stone age.
I would never have been able to build the kind of layout I am building, if I had "wasted" (my words, my world, my opinion!) the funds on digital equipment and high-end Märklin locomotives.
I have (almost) nothing of the exotic rolling materiel offered. 90% of my stuff are the "bread and butter" locos and waggons.
Warning; it is very dificult to abstain from buying all the fancy electronic gadges, but for me it has paid off.

So my advice is; if you are able to set a realistic goal for the future; stick to that, and dont buy anything you dont need! (I am NOT suggesting that you dont buy digital equipment if starting out today, but please bear in mind that advanced electronics has only a few years of life before being obsolete, while a metal-cast locomotive should last at least YOUR whole lifetime! Tracks and accessories likewise!)

PS: About epoc; NOW you want IV and V, but later you might want other things. It happened to me, and every time I was totally convinced that THAT was what I wanted... Oh well...
Most tracks and accessories are valid for several epocs. Waggons and locos less so! ;-)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Rowan  
#33 Posted : 17 October 2006 00:10:44(UTC)
Rowan

Giday Minok.Welcome to the forum.The digital stuff can wait I think,who knows what will be happening in even two years.Like has already been said ,have a play as you go;even if it has to be put away after each session.
The big thing is to enjoy the worlds greatest hobby.
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#34 Posted : 20 October 2006 16:45:55(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by hxmiesa
<br />Hi Minok,

Here´s my 2 (euro)-cents, regarding your points 2 and 3;

I have always practised a quite rigid buying-practice; expanding tracks, signals and other accessories. And LESS on locomotives, waggons and NOTHING in digital.
This has worked for ME; I can now build the layout I have always wanted, although I admid to be stuck in the analog stone age.
I would never have been able to build the kind of layout I am building, if I had "wasted" (my words, my world, my opinion!) the funds on digital equipment and high-end Märklin locomotives.
I have (almost) nothing of the exotic rolling materiel offered. 90% of my stuff are the "bread and butter" locos and waggons.
Warning; it is very dificult to abstain from buying all the fancy electronic gadges, but for me it has paid off.

So my advice is; if you are able to set a realistic goal for the future; stick to that, and dont buy anything you dont need! (I am NOT suggesting that you dont buy digital equipment if starting out today, but please bear in mind that advanced electronics has only a few years of life before being obsolete, while a metal-cast locomotive should last at least YOUR whole lifetime! Tracks and accessories likewise!)

PS: About epoc; NOW you want IV and V, but later you might want other things. It happened to me, and every time I was totally convinced that THAT was what I wanted... Oh well...
Most tracks and accessories are valid for several epocs. Waggons and locos less so! ;-)

I agree with you. If I use the available space for a home layout, I can use only a fraction of my rolling stock. But you can never own enough tracks, turnouts and signals. It's always a nice surprise when you have plans to build something and find the needed part already in your collection...

Another matter is that spending money on a nice loco is easier to explain to the finance director than spending it on wires, decoder and other invisible stuff on the layout.
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline Weltenbummler  
#35 Posted : 20 October 2006 18:54:56(UTC)
Weltenbummler

Germany   
Quote:
<br />Remember, when buying from Germany... you are not paying the 18% or whatever it is now VAT. Deduct the tax and it can negate the shipping charges.

Hi Peter,

the VAT is 16% at present and will be up to 19% as of 2007-01-01.
Regard from Karachi
Thomas
Offline verheyen  
#36 Posted : 20 October 2006 19:08:17(UTC)
verheyen

Danke Thomas,
I always make dealers aware of the fact that they are to deduct the VAT from purchases as well, just so they aren't tempted to net another 16% in profit, and know that I know they might try. Many do...

p.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Thomas Duengefeld
<br />Hi Peter,

the VAT is 16% at present and will be up to 19% as of 2007-01-01.
Offline Weltenbummler  
#37 Posted : 20 October 2006 20:22:15(UTC)
Weltenbummler

Germany   
Quote:
<br />Danke Thomas,
I always make dealers aware of the fact that they are to deduct the VAT from purchases as well, just so they aren't tempted to net another 16% in profit, and know that I know they might try. Many do...
p.

Gern geschehen Peter,

I'm looking forward to getting posted abroad again mid 2008.
Hopefully outside the EU, so I won't have to pay VAT on orders from Germany as well. But it's a long way to go.
Regard from Karachi
Thomas
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#38 Posted : 22 October 2006 08:03:25(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
<br />Danke Thomas,
p.

Does the VAT apply to second hand items sold by dealers, or to new items only?
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#39 Posted : 25 October 2006 13:41:29(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
Quote:
<br />
Quote:
<br />Danke Thomas,
p.

Does the VAT apply to second hand items sold by dealers, or to new items only?

As long as the seller is a business the VAT is always charged, so for overseas sales it can be deducted. If the seller is a private person there is no VAT involved.

But in most countries you are expected to pay VAT in your own country when you make a purchase from abroad. At least when you order something and it is sent to you by mail.
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline H0  
#40 Posted : 25 October 2006 19:42:37(UTC)
H0

Quote:
<br />Does the VAT apply to second hand items sold by dealers, or to new items only?

AFAIK some dealers only add VAT to their profit when selling second hand items. However they don't show the VAT on the bill - and therefore they will not deduct it for foreign buyers (you would find out how much they paid for the item).

BTW: VAT is 16%, so non-EU prices should be 13.8% lower than the "VAT incl." prices. VAT will rise to 19% on January 1st, non-EU prices should then be 15.97% lower.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage