Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Biased turkey  
#1 Posted : 03 October 2006 21:12:14(UTC)
Biased turkey

I'm back in model railroading after a ... 50 years retirement.
I had a Marklin HO oval layout when I was a kid living in Belgium ( around 1954 )
Now, I'm living in an appartment here in Canada. Last year I decided to start a 2.5 ' x 3' mini layout in my bedroom. Of course I had no other choice than going the N scale way.
I have to admit than I like N scale but at my age ( 58 ) I have to use magnifying glasses for dealing with N scale rolling stock, and track cleaning must be done frequently.
After some agreement with my wife, I'm allowed to have a " bigger layout " ( lol ) that fits on a hollow core inside door 30" x 80" ( 76 x 203 cm ). I want to go the HO scale way and 2 days ago ordered the 29533 Marklin Freight train digital starter set.
I understand that even a simple HO oval is out of question but in my case it is a HO "switching layout " or no layout at all.
Could someone please be kind enough to give me some information about a Marklin HO layout that fits on a door ?
Tia

Offline steventrain  
#2 Posted : 03 October 2006 21:21:47(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hello and welcome to the forum Tia.Smile

If you buy the 29533,the oval of tracks with passing loop was 184cm by 84cm,it is 8cm wide that door.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline ulf999  
#3 Posted : 03 October 2006 22:43:27(UTC)
ulf999

Hi welcome to the forum!

Perhaps you'll find something here:
https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=3501
Ulf, American HO. www.goldenvalleyroute.com/
Offline verheyen  
#4 Posted : 03 October 2006 23:30:07(UTC)
verheyen

I built a modest switching layout which is about 10" narrower than you what can do with the same length. You can see images at http://web.syr.edu/~pdverhey/eisenbahn/puzzle.shtml.

UserPostedImage.

There is also an article I co-authored with some ETE colleagues at http://web.syr.edu/~pdverhey/ei...ahn/puzzle_article.shtml. Towards the bottom are links to other puzzle/switching layouts.

At this size, the important thing (I think) to remember is that less is more. For me the puzzle was a great opportunity to try to build something on a much more realistic scale in terms of landscaping. The station tracks are still far too short, but that's a door for you.

Have fun. It is possible to come up with something truly enjoyable, even on that scale.

p.
Offline orubias  
#5 Posted : 04 October 2006 00:38:54(UTC)
orubias

Spain   
Cool!!!
Nice weathering.

Band on the run
Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 04 October 2006 00:58:42(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very nice layout.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline nevw  
#7 Posted : 04 October 2006 02:21:39(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline verheyen  
#8 Posted : 04 October 2006 03:34:45(UTC)
verheyen

Another great source of "micro layouts" can be found at http://carendt.com/microplans/.
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#9 Posted : 04 October 2006 04:45:42(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Hello Jacques,

I have almost the same room problem as you. So I have started a layout module. Even if it is a liittle bit larger than your available surface, maybe can it give you ideas.

Feel free to give me a call one of these days ! Smile

Pierre.
Offline dbmike  
#10 Posted : 04 October 2006 04:57:35(UTC)
dbmike

Here is my layout, also on a hollow core door, but 36"x80", but at the 30 wide, I could delete the outer loop and still have a single track loop layout. Switching layouts can be nice, but also can get borring after awhile, I prefer a loop with switching inside so I can just run trains or do some switching. Here are some pics for you to enjoy. Mike and Michele TUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Due to budget shortfall, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off....mgmt.
Offline viragoLDR  
#11 Posted : 04 October 2006 12:28:20(UTC)
viragoLDR

There are actually some great track cleaning cars for N-scale, there's even a wheel cleaning track available as well ;) My dad is in his late 70s, and he still uses N-scale actually.

Also, N-scale track doesn't necesarrily require more cleaning, it all depends on the power pickup of trains/cars, on how many wheels they pick up current etc.

I would say, if you're interested in N-scale, and already have some of it, stick with it. H0 gets boring quick when you find out how little track you can use unless you have lots of space.

Of course, it also depends on what you want out of model trains, switching, running, or just some nicely scenicked oval just to look at ;)
- Martijn
(early planning : H0-scale Era I K.Bay.sts.b)
(active planning : N-scale mixed late Era Japanese)
(possibly something Z-scale as well ;))
Offline Biased turkey  
#12 Posted : 04 October 2006 18:21:23(UTC)
Biased turkey

First, I really want to thank all the nice people who took some of their precious time to reply my post and to welcome me on that forum.

To steventrain: As you suggested, I could add a 6 " extension to my door . That used 30 " wide door was available after I removed 1 wall in my appartment. I could by a new one that has the maximum width ( 36 " ).
My wife agreed on an inside door, but she never specified the maximum width of it .... Smile

To dbmike: As you suggested, I might get rid on the outside loop to reduce the layout width.

To PierreGILLARD, verheyen, nevw and ulf999: I really appreciate all those web links about small switching layouts.

I particularly like your " modest switching layout " verheyen because it makes me realise now that going around on a loop is not my 1st priority.

To viragoLDR: Thanks for encouraging me , despite my old age , to continue with N scale ( say hi to your dad from another old Nscale guy ).

You people suggested so many wise options that ... I don't know which one to choose.

But first I want to finish my N scale tiny layout. Then I'll decide what I'll do when I receive my Marklin set next week.

Offline David Dewar  
#13 Posted : 04 October 2006 19:12:23(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Might be worth considering a second level which would double the size of the layout. Or have a shadow station underneath. As your wife I presume did not mention height you could do as John Black has done and have three levels.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline ulf999  
#14 Posted : 04 October 2006 21:31:07(UTC)
ulf999

Cool switching layout Peter!
Ulf, American HO. www.goldenvalleyroute.com/
Offline Rowan  
#15 Posted : 05 October 2006 21:08:50(UTC)
Rowan

I was going to suggest a small switching layout but verheyen has covered that;with excellent piccys as well.
As you can see ,size is not a problem as even in such a small space you have a large variety of train operations.
The other good point in a layout with that size is that you can spend a huge amount of time and effort in putting the scenary together.Some of the scenary detail people have achieved in these small latouts is remarkable.
Small layout, less cost.There is no reason you can't have catenary,signals and when you run out of room Biased turkey you can move up or down a level.
This could take you a life time cobber.
Let us all know how you go with some pictures mate,and welcome to the forum.
Offline p .g  
#16 Posted : 06 October 2006 22:50:14(UTC)
p .g

welcome TIA iam to in the same boat geting started. michel & mike thanks for leting me see what i whant to do but not in home port to do it. maybe littel painting in the tunnel .my 2 bits.all the ideas that iam geting i should have it to gether by end of voyage.any one gone sub level [8)] confused wondering that one of dose (ice trains )poping in & out .you can set it up to see all the lights under the set .but my mgmt said 1 year. and derailment on dose fast train got to keep eye on .take care pat n cece
back on land but it feels funny
Offline dbmike  
#17 Posted : 08 October 2006 04:12:00(UTC)
dbmike

I may put a second level at one corner of my layout, but not for trains, but for a corner of a larger city. With the small layout, I dont really have room for a decent city, but I can have the corner of one with a backdrop to make it seem much larger in the one far corner. I really love those Kibri row houses I see in the catalogs. Mike
Due to budget shortfall, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off....mgmt.
Offline Purellum  
#18 Posted : 08 October 2006 17:09:16(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Small layout on a door ?
YES, it is possible, as long as you don't slam the door too hard! biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

Per.
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline HueyCE  
#19 Posted : 08 October 2006 22:30:11(UTC)
HueyCE

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Purellum
<br />YES, it is possible, as long as you don't slam the door too hard! biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

biggrin

Building German Era I-II layout(Mk IIIc).UserPostedImage

Offline Biased turkey  
#20 Posted : 26 October 2006 04:54:21(UTC)
Biased turkey

As some of you suggested ( David Dewar ), I could add a 2nd level but I prefer to stick to a single level switching layout .
It just my opinion, but I don't find multilevel layouts very prototypelike and it would be impossible for me to model the Tehachapi loop on my small door .
And as Rowan mentions, even a small laypou can keep me busy for a lifetime.

Offline dbmike  
#21 Posted : 29 October 2006 16:26:16(UTC)
dbmike

Here are the pics of my final track plan, in HO scale, on a 36x80 door. Just waiting on my station to arrive. Enjoy, MikeUserPostedImageUserPostedImage