Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline soren36  
#1 Posted : 08 September 2006 17:38:08(UTC)
soren36

United States   
I bought an 18 va transformer (cheap - new from a starter set) to power my switches and uncouplers. The M* literature refers to brown and yellow leads but the trafo (M* - it has a plug) has a black lead and a black/white striped lead. My guess is the black is the brown equivalent, and the striped the yellow. Correct?

Thanks - Hal
A Connecticut Yankee
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#2 Posted : 08 September 2006 17:56:05(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
All old Märklin trafos give AC power, but the 18VA is a DC power source. For powering accessories it doesn't make any difference, so you can choose to use one of the leads as yellow and the other as brown. Since all accessories are made for AC, they are independent of the direction of the current.
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline soren36  
#3 Posted : 08 September 2006 19:49:31(UTC)
soren36

United States   
Many thanks, Karl.
A Connecticut Yankee
Offline MärCo  
#4 Posted : 08 September 2006 20:44:09(UTC)
MärCo

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by kgsjoqvist
<br />All old Märklin trafos give AC power, but the 18VA is a DC power source. For powering accessories it doesn't make any difference, so you can choose to use one of the leads as yellow and the other as brown. Since all accessories are made for AC, they are independent of the direction of the current.

I am in very much doubt of your answer. With DC polarity does matter, with AC not. I still think the 18VA adapter is AC.
Absolutly AFB-NOHAB fan ;-)
Offline Gert-Jan  
#5 Posted : 08 September 2006 21:47:55(UTC)
Gert-Jan

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by MärCo
I am in very much doubt of your answer. With DC polarity does matter, with AC not. I still think the 18VA adapter is AC.

If we are talker purely about the transformers current, I agree with Märco.
All physic laws must change for making a DC coil-based transformer wink

But in combination with a Digital like station (e.g. Delta4f, 6021, Mobile/Central station) the current could be considered a 'very dirty' DC like current imho.
Mosty era III DB.
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#6 Posted : 08 September 2006 22:06:09(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Then you both are wrong.
The 18 VA is DC, just look at it instead of making such idiotic remarcs. It's printed ot it.
It's another story that inside the adapter is a transformer which of course is AC, and then a rectifier giving DC.

You may use it for accessories, and polarity doesn't matter as KGS points out. BUT, feeding accessories with DC give some slight differences:
1. They become more silent, as no 50 Hz is present. Significant difference for decoupler track.
2. Remanent magnetism may cause stickiness; again the decoupler track stays up; but only until a car passes and releases the stickiness.
3. The current throuch a coil feels less resistance; might be higher and cause damage.

Regards,
Lars
Offline john black  
#7 Posted : 08 September 2006 22:37:20(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Lars Westerlind
<br />The 18 VA is DC, just look at it instead of making such idiotic remarks.

biggrinbiggrinbiggrin ... BTW, how much did you pay for it, Hal ?
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Hemmerich  
#8 Posted : 09 September 2006 00:09:04(UTC)
Hemmerich

Everything stated by Lars is correct.

You can still use this 18VA DC power pack to control switches and uncouplers; as long as you don't activate a switch/uncoupler too freqently.

Offline Gert-Jan  
#9 Posted : 09 September 2006 00:11:51(UTC)
Gert-Jan

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:<br />The 18 VA is DC, just look at it instead of making such idiotic remarks. It's printed on it.

I stand corrected. [:I]

Having DC power for e.g. decoupling rail is very nice to have...less noise and vibes. I still use my old Delta4F with my 6002 transformer to get a same result.

So is it correct to say that the new 'Systems' transformers have a AC-DC bridge inside, unlike the old (pre-systems) transforers?

After a glance at the 'ugly box' circuitboard, it really gaved me the idea that those diode-bridge was responsible for the AC to DC conversion...or is it something else?
Mosty era III DB.
Offline soren36  
#10 Posted : 09 September 2006 00:13:56(UTC)
soren36

United States   
Lars - thanks for input. Your comment "<u>3. The current throuch a coil feels less resistance; might be higher and cause damage</u>." - damage to what?

And John (did I start something?[}:)]) - $22 - a second 60VA was $100+. Since I only want to drive one switch or uncoupler at a time, it seemed like a good ideaconfused. Also, I don't know where I will end up - although surely bigger than I originally thought.
A Connecticut Yankee
Offline clapcott  
#11 Posted : 09 September 2006 00:51:25(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
fwiw

AC v DC does matter if you include the lighting aspect of some accesories (buffer stop light, turnout indicator lights, signal lights etc.) if these use LEDs, which a number of Marklin items do, then you need to be conscious of polarity
Peter
Offline perz  
#12 Posted : 09 September 2006 01:13:28(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:damage to what?

To the accessory. A too high current may burn the coil in it. The power supply is over-current protected and should not be damaged.
Offline David Dewar  
#13 Posted : 09 September 2006 01:47:36(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hal : Just about now you must be wishing you hadnt started the topic. biggrin

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline john black  
#14 Posted : 09 September 2006 03:43:07(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by soren36
<br />And John (did I start something? [}:)]) - $22

You did, Hal. Big deal for you [:p] - big fun for us biggrin
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline soren36  
#15 Posted : 09 September 2006 04:08:31(UTC)
soren36

United States   
Question now is -withdraw the original question, or post a follow-up?

Seriously, I very much appreciate all the input, but remain unclear as to what I should - or shouldn't - do. Are the leads interchangeable? Is there a real danger to my accessories if I use this trafo at all?

From the label: Model 66185
STEGER 36-012.2
Input 120V AC 60Hz
Output 20.8V DC 18VA

Hal

A Connecticut Yankee
Offline john black  
#16 Posted : 09 September 2006 05:50:53(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
<br />as long as you don't activate a switch/uncoupler too frequently

... and since you don't switch the very same turnout 20 times in a row - that's your ticket, Hal Smile
BTW, taking no chances re your turnout LED's - the white striped is the hot one ...

Offline xxup  
#17 Posted : 09 September 2006 07:40:04(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I have an even siller question... Is this the same transformer that powers the MS? Does this mean that all of our (digital) locos are now DC??? I am really confused by this posting.. confusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfused
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#18 Posted : 09 September 2006 11:59:07(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Hal,
I would prefer to use an AC source for you accessories; that's what they are built for. Clapcot is right also of course. We have already given the full answer, that it's possible to use a DC source as well, but with slight risks if you don't know what you do.

Adrian: yes, it's the same transformer we speak about. But no, there is no correlation.

The longer answer is that Mobile Station (and other digital units) has a rectifer which in allows for feeding both AC or DC, inside electronics always work with DC. It then produces a digital signal to the track, which is not DC and not traditiononal (sinus) AC, but a square signale chaning between + and - like AC does. The decoder gets this signal, and in most cases (37xxx locos) produces a pulsed DC signal to the motor, which is a DC-motor. But not always; there exist traditional all current motors (as you certainly know), and special motors as C-sine.

/Lars
Offline hmsfix  
#19 Posted : 09 September 2006 13:31:10(UTC)
hmsfix

Interesting... these 18 VA devices produce DC. Or perhaps we could say they produce a very lazy AC, that alternates very infrequently ? biggrin

Hans Martin
Offline perz  
#20 Posted : 09 September 2006 14:40:59(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
The 18 VA device produces nice and stable DC. No visible 50 (60) Hz ripple, at least not with low loads.

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Or perhaps we could say they produce a very lazy AC, that alternates very infrequently ?

The voltage goes up when you turn it on and goes down when you turn it off, but I wouldn't call that "alternate". To really alternate it should give a voltage vith opposite polarity sometimes. That never happens.
Offline jte  
#21 Posted : 09 September 2006 19:42:55(UTC)
jte

Hi all,

AC-coils will function also with DC-current, but there is a risk for very high peak voltages due to the inductance when switching on and off. DC-coils usually have a protection diode to eliminate these peak voltages. Especially if some electronics are also in the same circuit, I wouldn't recommend DC-current for AC-coils.

Also as Lars earlier wrote, the current is usually higher with DC, because there is only galvanic resistance limiting the current as the inductive resistance is zero for DC.

Juha
Offline soren36  
#22 Posted : 10 September 2006 05:30:31(UTC)
soren36

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by David Dewar
<br />Hal : Just about now you must be wishing you hadnt started the topic. biggrin

David

David - Good Grief! But I'm certainly learning something - and I think others are as well.

Hal
A Connecticut Yankee
Offline soren36  
#23 Posted : 10 September 2006 05:44:48(UTC)
soren36

United States   
Given the obvious expertise of Lars, and the backup from Juha - the 18VA DC trafo will be replaced with a proper AC unit.

I appreciate the lesson and enjoyed the lively discussion. Thanks to all who joined in.

Hal
A Connecticut Yankee
Offline Tony  
#24 Posted : 10 September 2006 21:06:12(UTC)
Tony

South Africa   
Just my 5 cents worth on this. ( think I mentioned this before somewhere?)
I would advise not to use DC to operate points/switches/turnouts if you are relying on the end shut off switches (C track)and using a non pulsed supply. (ie not momentary)
The little end shut-off switch is not rated to cut off DC and will most probably result in the contacts fusing together resulting in permanetly operating the point "motor" burning it out very quickly!!

I use DC for other devices but with care - as Lars has indicated.
Regards Tony
Offline Maxi  
#25 Posted : 10 September 2006 21:51:26(UTC)
Maxi

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Tony
<br />Just my 5 cents worth on this. ( think I mentioned this before somewhere?)
I would advise not to use DC to operate points/switches/turnouts if you are relying on the end shut off switches (C track)and using a non pulsed supply. (ie not momentary)
The little end shut-off switch is not rated to cut off DC and will most probably result in the contacts fusing together resulting in permanetly operating the point "motor" burning it out very quickly!!

I use DC on my C-track turnouts and have yet to have a problem. All turnouts are controlled via k83 decoders or manual switches, works every time for me. The key point is to only send a pulse of power to the turnout and not continuous power.

Maxi
Offline Tony  
#26 Posted : 12 September 2006 14:24:23(UTC)
Tony

South Africa   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Maxi
<br />
Quote:
<br />Just my 5 cents worth on this. ( think I mentioned this before somewhere?)

I use DC on my C-track turnouts and have yet to have a problem. All turnouts are controlled via k83 decoders or manual switches, works every time for me. The key point is to only send a pulse of power to the turnout and not continuous power.

Maxi

Hi Maxi

Quite right - I have only had the problem with non pulsed DC supplies to the turnouts. A Non pulsed AC supply is fine and the end cut off switch operates well.
Regards Tony
Offline clapcott  
#27 Posted : 12 September 2006 23:55:40(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Quote:
Quite right - I have only had the problem with non pulsed DC supplies to the turnouts. A Non pulsed AC supply is fine and the end cut off switch operates well.

I think you need to include a disclaimer as to which turnout motors you are refering to.
There are a couple of versions of the 74490, early types (e.g v1.1)only included a cutoff switch at one end.
Peter
Offline Tony  
#28 Posted : 13 September 2006 09:47:28(UTC)
Tony

South Africa   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by clapcott
<br />
Quote:

I think you need to include a disclaimer as to which turnout motors you are refering to.
There are a couple of versions of the 74490, early types (e.g v1.1)only included a cutoff switch at one end.

Thanks Peter - yes I am referring to the more recent version of the 74490 - All mine bought over past 2-3 years and they seem to be fine with cutoff switches both ends.
Regards Tony
Offline stenscience  
#29 Posted : 14 September 2006 00:39:43(UTC)
stenscience

[|)][|)][|)]arghhhhh!
My head hurts.
I am going to operate all my turnouts by hand after thisbiggrinbiggrin
Offline David Dewar  
#30 Posted : 14 September 2006 01:16:34(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I know what you mean George...but Hal is now buying a new transformer which seems a good idea although I dont think anybody suggested it. No need for an expensive one though !!

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline hmsfix  
#31 Posted : 14 September 2006 02:13:52(UTC)
hmsfix

Hi,

Did some test tonight as follows: I connected a 7245 universal relay and a 7549 turnout magnet to 16 volts, AC and DC. and observed the currents. I was a little surprised about the result:

7245: AC: 0.4 A (and 0.3 A when it has got hot)
DC: 0.8 A (and 0.7 A or so in hot state)

7549 (I blocked the mechanism, so end switches could not interupt the current):
AC: 1.0 A (getting very hot within seconds)
DC: 1.4 A (guess!)

Both devices are getting very hot if the current is allowed to flow continuously and may be fried within 10 seconds. That's a very short period, isn't it ?

The current is higher than for any loco, allthough it is only needed for a fraction of a second: even a 32 VA trafo is exhausted with two turnout magnets triggered at the same time.

For the turnout magnet, there is no temperature problem if the end switches work properly. Couldn't even find any difference between AC and DC. With DC it seems to switch a little faster, so it does not produce more heat.

Another lesson: If you want to power a turnout magnet by a transistor device, spend that 10 cts more to get an output transistor rated for 2 A.

Hans Martin
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#32 Posted : 14 September 2006 09:47:44(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Thank's for sharing. It's always good to see theoretcial expectations come through; that we weren't lying.

You have not measured on the new ones? My impression is that C-track turnouts draw less current, and an old 7045 might even draw more? In the old times (my youth) I think the major idea was to allow for large currents, with significatn voltage drops.

Still I would guess that those magnects could take a lot of heats. I've certainly been standing a contact tracks for more than 10 s, without ever frying any turnout motors...

/Lars
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#33 Posted : 14 September 2006 09:49:06(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

BTW,
shouldn't the topic be changed to 'interesting question', or possibly 'silly answers' :-)
Offline hxmiesa  
#34 Posted : 14 September 2006 11:30:01(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Hi guys,

I would like to supply muy experiences too.

I use 24Vdc for my switch-motors. (K and M track)
From a PLC I change up to 2 switches at the time. The PLC is programmed to give 2 pulses of 0,5 second duration, with a 0,1 second pause between them.
This was found necessary to overwin any mechanical resistance, and to ensure perfect operation every time.

I tried first with the normal 16Vac, and that was as a disaster!

The end cut-off contacts in the K-motors are not modified (yet).

I understand that if you use digital and STANDARD Märklin components to operate the switch-motors, you are actually using 18V, but not pure DC or AC, but the digital signal, which is rather different. (it´s more like DC than AC, I think?!)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#35 Posted : 14 September 2006 11:52:48(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

No,
standard k83s have a capacitator inside which gives a pulse, which much like negative exponential. The reload current is taken from the digital source, half wawe rectified, so yes, after a while there will be a significant "ripple", but not strong enough to burn anything.
/Lars
Offline hmsfix  
#36 Posted : 14 September 2006 12:55:30(UTC)
hmsfix

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Lars Westerlind
<br />
You have not measured on the new ones? My impression is that C-track turnouts draw less current, and an old 7045 might even draw more? In the old times (my youth) I think the major idea was to allow for large currents, with significatn voltage drops.
[/br]

Hi Lars,

I have somewhere a 7045 running here. Must get through the wire jungle under my layout and check that...

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:
<br />
Still I would guess that those magnects could take a lot of heats. I've certainly been standing a contact tracks for more than 10 s, without ever frying any turnout motors...
[/br]

Well, I had my finger on the 7549 magnet coil when I tested it, and it got incomfortably warm after few seconds. If not the coil so at leased my finger would have been fried after 10 s, I suppose. biggrin

BTW my old M track turnouts withstand much longer periods without getting too warm, maybe hours.

Hans Martin
Offline john black  
#37 Posted : 14 September 2006 15:59:35(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by hmsfix
<br />my old M track turnouts withstand much longer periods without getting too warm, maybe hours

One can say what he wants - old time stuff is still best [^]