Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mcs51  
#1 Posted : 27 April 2024 12:59:18(UTC)
mcs51

Belgium   
Hi there,
I have a more general “connection” question regarding S88 modules
Attached picture shows part of a Märklin S88 module, 1 input only to be honest.
Detection occurs when the wheels connects the continuous rail (upper one) with the insulated rail portion in between crosses on the lower rail, correct?

To have the electronic working properly I expect the ground line of the S88 bus to be connected with the brown wire (rails) of the track power.
But I'm not sure about that.
That’s why I place some question marks next to the dotted line of the track power unit.

Now my weird question:
Does the +5Vdc have any influence on the AC track power or decoders in locs.
I mean track power is a x kHz square wave and now, with detection, one adds a 5Vdc signal to the track Confused

Thanks for your inputs!

S88

Edited by moderator 28 April 2024 11:23:32(UTC)  | Reason: Fix link

Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 27 April 2024 13:25:41(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi (a first name would be great)
The picture you posted I can't see (open) it.

So here is my shoot in the dark:
- yes an S88 input is often connected with an insulated track section (aka a wagon will short both rails and be detected
- This works ONLY if, among your S88 modules, ONE ground return is connected to the rail's ground (0 or brown cable) .
- only ONE connection is better to avoid possibly high current in the CAT5 cable (modern version) or in the flat cable (old version) connecting S88 M88 modules. It may seem strange but this happenswhen there is a short circuit.

Now your weird question:
- indeed, a +5 VDC powers the insulated sections BUT with a high value resistor (10 kOhm or more) in series
- because of the high value resistor, only a small current (1 to 10 mA) flows between the 2 rails, totally unable to adversely affect your digital or analogue operation.
- in modern Link88 (60883) there is a switch to chose if you prefer operation with 5 VDC or 12 VDC (new S88 modules only).

I hope this helps ypu
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline mcs51  
#3 Posted : 27 April 2024 13:40:53(UTC)
mcs51

Belgium   
Hello Jean,
Thank you for your quick answer!

I hope this is a better link: S88-a

Suppose your central unit e.g. CS3, ESU, Tams, ... ... ... already has a connection between track power (brown wire = rail) and S88 GND (pin 2)
The dotted line with question mark on the drawing, then it's better to NOT connect any module to ground?

Regards
Alain
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 27 April 2024 14:29:54(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Alain

To answer your question: ONE connection between the digital ground and the S88 ground is needed and preferably only one.
Yes, the Central Unit (CS3, CS2, ESU Ecos, etc) has ALWAYS a connection to the track.

In Märklin world this includes the RED or B (pukos) and the BROWN or 0 for rails.

The S88 system (Link88, M88, S88,) was always INSULATED of the BROWN for better electrical noise protection.
This is why, there is a MUST (since the very first units 6088 and their MEMORY or INTERFACE) to close the loop by having ONE connection between the floating ground (the upside down T on Märklin S88) and the digital ground (the Brown or 0 of the main track power).

Failure to connect the floating ground to the digital ground results in NO occupancy detection whatsoever.

Note: this global S88 insulation must not be confused with some S88 equivalent with insulated entries (one opto-coupler per entry).
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline mcs51  
#5 Posted : 28 April 2024 08:34:07(UTC)
mcs51

Belgium   
Ok, than you for your information Jean!
Now I know that the +5Vdc doesn’t interfere with the track power ac signal.
Btw, could you open the second link?

Because for the real question, you’ll need THIS Image BigGrin
This is a schematic diagram of my S88 implementation
Upper left corner: general power supply
Lower left corner: Märklin Black MS2 with Gleisbox and CCScnitte for comm with PC
Centre: I use the track signal with AC opto-coupler for each sensor
Each AC opto-coupler output goes to Arduino Uno input, 16 inputs for each Uno
All Arduino Uno are chain linked as standard S88 chain using UTP cable
Arduino Nano is the “S88 Scanner mit Arduino” from “Meine Digitale Modellbahn”, many many thanks to him!

Now the question:
Instead of using track signal to power the opto-couplers, that is wire “A” connected to the red wire of the Gleisbox; can I feed it from my 11Vdc power supply, that is wire “ARD+”?
Of course I will also need to connect the power supply “GND” wire to the brown wire of the Gleisbox.
That will not harm my Gleisbox or decoders on the track or … … in any way?

I can’t explain why but I don’t feel comfortable doing this, it feels like connecting two different power supplies in parallel, but hey, I’m just a hobby electronics guy here.
Thanks for any input!
Offline PerR  
#6 Posted : 28 April 2024 09:38:18(UTC)
PerR

Denmark   
The best is to use a separate 12 Volt power supply. I use the same type of connection with the optocoupler, and the optocoupler is powered from a separate 12 Volt power supply and that works great.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PerR
Offline mcs51  
#7 Posted : 28 April 2024 11:29:53(UTC)
mcs51

Belgium   
Thank you for your answer Per!
Can you please confirm that you also connected the ground of that 12V power supply to the brown wire of track power of your Command Station?

btw what Command Station do you use?
My concern is that expensive CS like Märklin CS3 or Esu ECos or Tams Red box are protected against such 12Vdc but maybe not the cheaper Märklin Black MS2 that I’m using.

That’s mainly why I started this thread.
Regards
Alain
Offline marklinist5999  
#8 Posted : 28 April 2024 13:15:37(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Why is a 12 volt separate power supply best? I connect my S-88's via a network cable directly to my CS3 plus. Works excellent. There are two S-88 models, no? a/c and d/c. So if using the a/c one, item #60881, you use the 16 volt auxiliary power supply if you don't have a CS3 plus.
Offline PerR  
#9 Posted : 28 April 2024 15:34:21(UTC)
PerR

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: mcs51 Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for your answer Per!
Can you please confirm that you also connected the ground of that 12V power supply to the brown wire of track power of your Command Station?

btw what Command Station do you use?
My concern is that expensive CS like Märklin CS3 or Esu ECos or Tams Red box are protected against such 12Vdc but maybe not the cheaper Märklin Black MS2 that I’m using.

That’s mainly why I started this thread.
Regards
Alain

I can confirm that I have connected the ground of the 12 Volt power supply to the brown wire from my Command Station.

I am using a Märklin CS3+ and Märklin S88 (60881) as feedback.

The reason why I am using optocouplers and a separate power supply, is because I have a home made signal controller; like an Arduino (but with a Microchip PIC16F627).

So I am using two optocouplers with the primary side in serie and one output to the S88 and the other to the PIC16F627 signal controller.

Best regards
Per
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PerR
Offline PerR  
#10 Posted : 28 April 2024 15:40:00(UTC)
PerR

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Why is a 12 volt separate power supply best? I connect my S-88's via a network cable directly to my CS3 plus. Works excellent. There are two S-88 models, no? a/c and d/c. So if using the a/c one, item #60881, you use the 16 volt auxiliary power supply if you don't have a CS3 plus.

The reason for the optocouplers and an extra power supply, is due to some homemade hardware.

In my club, we are also using CS3+ with S88 AC (60881), and these works great :-)

So when you are using the standard Märklin solution, you don't have to think about the problems in this thread.

Best regards
Per
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PerR