Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Norbstarted1969  
#1 Posted : 13 March 2024 02:11:09(UTC)
Norbstarted1969

United States   
I've had it with Brawa, at least as far as their motorized stuff is concerned. Just got a set with 3 cars and a small tank loco. There's no sign of previous use; everything looks pristine. I figure "Great. Should run like a champ". No such luck. Put it on the track and no lights, no humming, nothing. I should've known better. I bought a Rottenkraftwagen at the Springfield show in January and it didn't run either, even though it looked to be MIB. At least the lights work on that slug. Another small switcher bought on Ebay had the gear train fall apart. At least there I got my money back.

Lesson learned. No more Brawa locos for me. Just curious. Has anybody else had similar experience with Brawa locos?

At least their cars are nice, albeit pricey and fragile.
Offline mbarreto  
#2 Posted : 13 March 2024 10:36:40(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

20 to 10 years ago I bought some Brawa. I still have most of what I bought. They are very detailed, pricey and some models a bit fragile.
The T5 and the BR 06 and several others are not fragile, in my opinion.
Some plastic parts, like buffers of wagons are fragile due to the plastic they used. I don't know if they are still using that plastic. The wagons I found the buffers most fragile are the old timer tank wagons.
This year I will probably buy at least 2 Brawa wagons.

Miguel
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 13 March 2024 13:56:17(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Never bought any Brawa locos or carriages, they seem to be a bit expensive for me and on several occasions I've noticed they have been heavily reduced which beckons the question : are they really worth that much ?, I don't mind Liliput but again wouldn't buy locos or rolling stock for full price.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline 1borna  
#4 Posted : 13 March 2024 20:48:13(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
UserPostedImage
A friend bought this nice model for AC last year
UserPostedImage
It was already driven, so he didn't pay much for it
UserPostedImage
In that shop, it was tested on C rails and it drove nicely, but when he started driving it on M rails at home, a problem arose.
UserPostedImage
He started to spin out on turns and switchbacks and to short-circuit the ski
UserPostedImage
I noticed that the elastic parts of the skis are very deformed
UserPostedImage
I straightened them as much as I could, but the problem remained because they would lean on a bend and get stuck on the middle teeth of the rails
UserPostedImage
Another problem is that the wheels are very small and the plastic parts around them are low, so they get stuck on the switch
UserPostedImage
I recommended him to get new skis because someone had deformed and damaged them too much.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 1borna
Offline applor  
#5 Posted : 13 March 2024 22:21:30(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I own several Brawa loks and wagons.

There have been some serious issues with the loks but all things I am able to adjust/repair and I am very happy to own them because they are models I need.
For example one was a complete design flaw in the AC design of their BR01. I had to adjust/re-install the slider.
Their BR 98.10 AC version has no traction tires. I knew this and installed 'bullfrog snot' on 2 axles. It also has a finnicky slider design but I adjusted it and runs trouble free.
I have a BR 38.4 which is too light so its traction is terrible. It can be fixed with 'bullfrog snot' when I get to it.
Several other models have not had issues, such as V36, BR 57, 74.3 (T11, though it is very sensitive)

The wagons I am still running DC wheels sets so theres a fair bit of wobbling over turnouts etc. but that can be resolved with AC wheels - they work fine regardless. That's not unique to Brawa.

I think a couple of points about Brawa:

1) Don't expect them to run on M track. M track is ancient and most DC brands only test on K and C track. Even some of Marklins own models have had issues with M track; so again, this is not unique.
2) Their AC versions of locomotives often seem to be an after thought, so you will have some models are perfectly fine and others (ie. BR01) where it seems they did not test at all.

So there you go, I will continue to buy Brawa models I want. Models are typically only available from one manufacturer so you don't have alternatives - and I know whatever the problem, it can be fixed if you're prepared to take action.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 14 March 2024 11:20:13(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Never had a problem with Brawa locos but I don’t buy from EBay and only from known dealers. They are expensive but detail is good but a little glue helps to keep them in place.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline jcrtrains  
#7 Posted : 14 March 2024 15:02:36(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
I have about 8 engines and find they are all excellent.
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#8 Posted : 14 March 2024 17:11:04(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hi Dreileiters,
Well Brawa is generally better detailed than Roco ( ( No additionall parts in bag ) to worry about!
And Brawa models very interesting subjects like BR15 or BR19 or EG 95 Ect just to mention few.
But motors they use are cheap Chinese motors and I had to remove them on two occasions - after only 60 -80 hours of operation. Besides if you plan to upgrade lights like led their models( locomotives ) are assembled in China and they use a lot of CA glue during assembly process. So sometimes it’s impossible to reassemble parts back together Thanks Weinert brass replacements comes to the rescue.
On early Brawa models from 1990 plastic is sometimes flimsy depending on storage conditions- sun / high humidity factors can make difference.
Regards,
Marklineisenbahn
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Marklineisenbahn
Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 16 March 2024 11:23:21(UTC)
Goofy

I have never tested Brawa ac loco but i do watch at Youtube and they show Brawas locomotive runs excellent on the C rail and K tracks.
I must keep in remaind that it is not so many people who use Brawa ac locomotives like Märklin trains.
Brawa are today made in China and it is a warning about worse quality test control.
Just in case to understand...be sure that you have still warranty if your Brawa ac trains fail.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control