Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Paul59  
#1 Posted : 09 March 2024 18:36:08(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Hello all, a quick question...

Back in 1987 I visited Germany for a week or two.
We got the night ferry from Dover to Oostende and then a very early morning train from Oostende to Koln.

I remember the coaches were DB ones but at the time we arrived at the station the loco hadn't been attached.
As it was about three or four in the morning we got on the train and fell asleep. When I woke up we were moving. On arrival at Koln I didn't get a chance to have a look up the front as we wanted to have a quick look at the city before our next train to Heidelburg.
We crossed the border at Aachen and didn't stop long enough to change locomotives so I guess our locomotive must have been capable of operating on both the Belgian and German electrical systems.

It would be nice to know what type of locomotive would have pulled that train between Oostende and Koln.
Could it have been something like the SNCB 16 (Marklin 3152)?
I have one of these and it would be nice to think that I rode behind one.

Thanks.
Marklin HO using M track. Now reverted to analogue as I find it has more character - and I understand it!
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 09 March 2024 20:18:50(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It could potentially have been a Class 16 or Class 18. Oostende - Brussels - Aachen - Köln was part of Intercity line A. You seem to suggest that you took a night train, which may have been operated differently. Do you know if your train ended at Köln or did it continue to other destinations? I am pretty certain that it was likely a Class 16 as that was the predominant machine on that route.

https://www.vonderruhren.../seiten/doostkoeln.php#2

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Paul59  
#3 Posted : 10 March 2024 10:55:54(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
Thank you for the reply Mike and for that interesting link - the consists do look familiar.
The train was a very early morning rather than a night train although I think it was still dark.
I think it ended at Köln as everybody got off.
I wish now that I had walked up the platform and paid a bit more attention at the time!

I remember the next train that ran down to Heidelberg followed the river and was a beautiful journey.

Regards, Paul
Marklin HO using M track. Now reverted to analogue as I find it has more character - and I understand it!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Paul59