Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline wildstix  
#1 Posted : 23 February 2024 11:00:18(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
Hey fellow Zettis!

Just want to share about how I run major maintenance for my locomotives. I only had a chance to make a vlog style video of the steps.
So, here it is, let me know what you think 😊

Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Märklin Z scale (mini-club) purist but not a modeler!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by wildstix
Offline RudiC  
#2 Posted : 23 February 2024 15:34:38(UTC)
RudiC

Germany   
Impressive! Thanks for sharing. What type of fluid did you use for "bath time"?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RudiC
Offline wildstix  
#3 Posted : 24 February 2024 15:53:58(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: RudiC Go to Quoted Post
Impressive! Thanks for sharing. What type of fluid did you use for "bath time"?

I use Paraffin oil for the charcoal detox "bath". It is. also good to remove old oil from all moving parts without the need to disassemble the locomotive.
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Offline Zme  
#4 Posted : 25 February 2024 19:46:41(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

This process has be discussed here on the forums before, glad to see someone is actually using the process with great results. That is an older model of the Br 216, and it sure needed a cleaning!

I believe the liquid used in the other YouTube videos was SR24 an agent also used for creating a smoke effect on locomotives with this feature.

It is likely the same as paraffin oil.

This is an interesting process and it is obvious it works.

Take good care.

Zme
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline ProductionMgr  
#5 Posted : 07 March 2024 03:01:17(UTC)
ProductionMgr

United States   
Hi
I hope that you don't mind me sharing this story, but unfortunately my wife doesn't share my enthusiasm relating to the hobby.
I came across a marklin Z gauge 8843 diesel locomotive on Ebay for $60.00 with a best buy offer.
It looked full of fibers and other debris in the pictures which suggested that it might not run.
I made an offer of $40.00 US and the seller accepted.
I just got it delivered and to my delight it was in really nice shape.
The panagraphs were intact and the shell looked very clean.
It didn't run when I put it on the track, but based on information that I gathered on this particular post, I was able to disassemble and try to remedy the problem.
I took the trucks off by removing the pins as shown in this maintenance video and proceeded to spray the trucks with Ballastol.
I happened to have a can handy and thought why not.
Anyway, after reassembly the engine started and then proceeded to run smoother with each pass on the track.
When I went to put the shell on the engine I discovered that I was missing one of the bulbs.
I thought OK, I can live with that and could maybe buy a replacement.
However not wiling to give up easy, I searched the carpet and found the missing bulb.
Sometimes the little victories are good.
Thanks for reading.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by ProductionMgr
Offline husafreak  
#6 Posted : 07 March 2024 03:27:30(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Very nice, easy way to clean a loco. I am unfamiliar with paraffin oil though. Does it dry after the two days, is there any oily residue? Where I live we are very fortunate to have dry conditions almost year round so a major cleaning like this is not often necessary, unless the loco purchased came from a dirty place ;)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline wildstix  
#7 Posted : 07 March 2024 06:36:03(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
Very nice, easy way to clean a loco. I am unfamiliar with paraffin oil though. Does it dry after the two days, is there any oily residue? Where I live we are very fortunate to have dry conditions almost year round so a major cleaning like this is not often necessary, unless the loco purchased came from a dirty place ;)

I put it under the midday sun for two days and the paraffin are all evaporated. Thus the need to oil again afterwards.
No, the oil residue completely removed by the paraffin oil.
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by wildstix
Zme
Offline wildstix  
#8 Posted : 07 March 2024 06:37:49(UTC)
wildstix

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: ProductionMgr Go to Quoted Post
Hi
I hope that you don't mind me sharing this story, but unfortunately my wife doesn't share my enthusiasm relating to the hobby.
I came across a marklin Z gauge 8843 diesel locomotive on Ebay for $60.00 with a best buy offer.
It looked full of fibers and other debris in the pictures which suggested that it might not run.
I made an offer of $40.00 US and the seller accepted.
I just got it delivered and to my delight it was in really nice shape.
The panagraphs were intact and the shell looked very clean.
It didn't run when I put it on the track, but based on information that I gathered on this particular post, I was able to disassemble and try to remedy the problem.
I took the trucks off by removing the pins as shown in this maintenance video and proceeded to spray the trucks with Ballastol.
I happened to have a can handy and thought why not.
Anyway, after reassembly the engine started and then proceeded to run smoother with each pass on the track.
When I went to put the shell on the engine I discovered that I was missing one of the bulbs.
I thought OK, I can live with that and could maybe buy a replacement.
However not wiling to give up easy, I searched the carpet and found the missing bulb.
Sometimes the little victories are good.
Thanks for reading.

Wow! I didn't know my video will be a beneficial info. 😊
I hope you will find better items as you go.
Oka aka W. Kapriandi
Offline Toosmall  
#9 Posted : 07 March 2024 12:25:41(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I use lighter fuel (basically petrol without impurities), I pull the bogies apart, one at a time so ends of loco don't get mixed up due to running in the opposite direction after reassembly (or label left & right on your work space is another option)

Pop the bits in an old Fuji film 35mm film (or similar) container with lighter fuel roughly half filled & shake for a few minutes.

The rest of the loco, not the motor, less parts, I drop in a larger container & shake/sit for about 10 minutes.

Re-oiling, I use Faller 170489 (or simply 489 since I last bought it, goes forever, even oiling door hinges to the bathroom). It has a stainless steel tube 0.8mm OD to apply oil exactly to the required point.

A bit like a Vienna clock, do not over oil, or the oil with capillary action will drain oil from bearings. Or in Z gauge create a mess on the rails. So just enough oil & no more.

Australia:
https://www.bunnings.com...ers-1l-shellite_p1563463 (AU$11.50 at time of this post)

_MG_0290_082407.jpg
Late 19th century clock. In the scheme of things not actually worth that much, sadly, but much nicer than a digital clock. Its battery (lead weights) last 7 days (even through regular Sydney blackouts!).

DSC_0660_115814.jpg

DSC_0659_115819.jpg
Restrung with replacement catgut.

_MG_0366_075150.jpg

For those interested I "blued the clock handles with a heat gun over brass swarf, after polishing handles over 2 days with wet & dry up to 5000 grit, starting with 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 & 5000 (didn't use 7000), then Brasso & Silvo (liquid polish).

One part of the hour hand I slightly over heated & it went grey, I can live with that due to the effort polishing for the oxidising process. A kiln would be easier. 290°C then into oil as quickly as possible.

_MG_0314_060420.jpg
This is steel oxidation with heat.

_MG_03520_125924.jpg
Vienna Clocks were never "blued" as it was an unnecessary cost that the supplier could get away with. But it nice, & appreciated on clock & watch handles. Light refraction at its best... at the right angle.

Anyway, back to oiling, do not over oil clock or loco.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline marklinist5999  
#10 Posted : 07 March 2024 15:42:13(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
That's a beautiful clock Jonathan. I have owned a Howard Miller Milano cherry grandfather clock since 1990. It has an Urgos movement from Germany. I clean and relube it myself.
Offline Toosmall  
#11 Posted : 09 March 2024 01:06:13(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Thanks...

But it is frightening how much crap a Z gauge loco collects from the track. There are photos I have posted with crap around traction tyres, frightening stuff, I only became aware of dust & fibres from a photo during editing.

Thorough cleaning, just get off every last bit of oil (or "BS" Marklin oil which has turned to wax). Start with a clean slate.

Do not over oil.

An absolutely clean environment helps. More so if you loose a tiny part flying off into the room. People have lost too many coupling springs!

Really good soft lighting, a bit of baking paper in front of lights will do, standing off 20cm with repurposing a wire coathanger (note plural... lights) to soften lights. Darker desktop for contrast. A morning job... not at the end of the day.

The most single key advice is to be a good mood & not tired (or arguing with Wifey!)

I have a long list of locos that need servicing, like other things on the list!

63051.jpg
Z 8822... 194
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Zme