Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#1 Posted : 22 February 2024 08:56:52(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Sadly, after nearly 30 years as an Insider member I am joining the outsider club (the president is H0 Smile ).

Let me explain why.

When I first joined the insider club, I paid my membership to my local Marklin dealer. Then some years later Marklin decided it would take the payments directly. There was no credit card option at the start, so I needed to make Swift payments. Little did I know that there was a 10 Euro charge at both ends - the Marklin blurb only mentioned 10 Euro at one end. So after the first rejection, I ended up wasting 30 Euro. The next year, I was wiser, but it annoyed me that I was paying an extra 20 Euro on a (I think) 80 Euro transaction.

Anyway, sometime later Marklin decided that they would accept credit card payments. This worked great until this year, when then EU online transaction rules commenced. This meant that payment cards had to support the 3DS 2.0 standard, which is a sort of two factor authentication for online credit card payments. It works like this:
1. You purchase something at an online line store and submit the payment details.
2. Your bank then sends a text message with a one time code.
3. At the same time, your bank opens a webpage and you add the code to the page. (Also known as the Bank's challenge)
4. The transaction is then "authorised".
5. You will see the transaction in your account.

When you change your card details on the Insider page, you see the process in action if your card supports 3DS. My bank tells me that all the cards issued by the four major Australian banks support 3DS v2. My experience with changing my card details on the Insider page confirms this - along with the 2c Australian that they charge to your credit card account every time you make a change. I have racked up 10cents so far playing this game.

This is where the problem starts. The Insider membership is not an online transaction, so there is no way for the bank's challenge to show. I explained this to Marklin, but they keep sending me emails to use a different card. In an email to another Marklin representative, I suggested that they could enable payment from the Marklin store or set up a renewal page within the Club area. The response was that they would not be doing this. The only other option is to go back to the Swift payments - not this little black duck - once bitten, twice shy.

So now I am an Outsider!
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by xxup
Online JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 22 February 2024 10:29:38(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hello Adrian
I experienced the same, two years ago when my VISA credit card was rejected to renew my Insider in Germany while it was very fine elsewhere and in France.
Because of rising fraud levels bankers have increased their level of cross-checking.
For me the result was to stop being an Insider (German version) because it was not cheap, it was delivered very late (or I had to ask for an extra copy because of a lost one) and the content (which was not always what I expected).
I don't know about bankers in your country but with my bank it took a while and multiple visits to have them correct my details and issue a special code for foreign purchases.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline bph  
#3 Posted : 22 February 2024 13:39:00(UTC)
bph

Norway   
I also struggled a bit when I registered my card. but it seems to work now. I used to do a bank transfer.

I find it strange that they don't offer PayPal, when they offer that on their Märklin web shop.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 22 February 2024 15:06:27(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Wow, that's awful. Are the outsiders a real club, or a moniker? I wonder if they don't accept PayPal because you can ask for a refund?
Offline David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 22 February 2024 17:39:37(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Well done Adrian. I have been a member of the outsiders always except for one year as an inside type when I realised I could get all I wanted without joining and it didnt make me feel special or privilaged.
I did not see anything of any real interest that did not appear on the net and the two insider models I wanted were bought at less than Marklin insiders paid.
I was thinking that we could have an outsider tie or badge which would then make us feel special but then again why waste cash which at the end of the day all goes to buy Marklin and dare I say a few items from other manufacturers.
However I would be happy to be the treasurer for the Outsiders and collect outsiders subscriptions.
PS dont tell Big Daddy as he will think Flash Dave is back.

Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 22 February 2024 19:53:08(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Wow, that's awful. Are the outsiders a real club, or a moniker? I wonder if they don't accept PayPal because you can ask for a refund?

Wouldn't make a difference, you can ask for a refund on a credit card as well.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline steventrain  
#7 Posted : 23 February 2024 19:26:16(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I join outsider since 2019.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Bryan  
#8 Posted : 23 February 2024 20:37:11(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   

In Australia the credit card seems not an option anymore.

The Marklin site has an alternative, asks for a IBAN and BIC code (11 digits). In Australia we do not have BIC codes. We are one of the few that do not.

So if we cannot use a credit card or a direct debit, how is it to work.

Offline nhumps  
#9 Posted : 24 February 2024 00:23:43(UTC)
nhumps

New Zealand   
i would recommend using a service like wise.com and you can send/receive money to IBAN/SWIFT BIC and you get a physical credit card and the option to make virtual credit cards to use online.

I find the service very flexible with small fees that I can use it to easily pay German/EuroZone dealers from NZ from my NZ bank account with minimal fees (less than paypal/big banks)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nhumps
bph
Offline xxup  
#10 Posted : 24 February 2024 03:30:44(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Have you used this service to renew an Insider membership? The problem is not the card - it is Marklin themselves.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline nhumps  
#11 Posted : 24 February 2024 09:53:28(UTC)
nhumps

New Zealand   
Sorry no, For all purposes I’ve always been an outsider. Wise support the 3DS standard since it’s mandated launch in the EU. However it likely would have the same issue as you describe. Marklin need to sort it out.

However you could use the SWIFT transfer with the minimal fees via wise but I totally understand your current position after all the frustration had
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nhumps
Offline Toosmall  
#12 Posted : 24 February 2024 11:26:10(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I recently tried to order a new Dell monitor. 3 cards failed from 3 different banks. I went into the CBA & they tried to order the monitor on their computer, & CBA was happy to try. I have photographs of screen info.

Basically, please contact your bank... really. CBA said it was a Dell problem, Dell said it was a CBA problem... great!

I did eventually get the monitor. But after 2 decades it maybe the last by this supplier. A bit sad because I have no issues with monitors themselves. Never had any ordering issues in the past & I am still at the same address.