Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Steve444  
#1 Posted : 21 February 2024 03:13:12(UTC)
Steve444

United States   
Does anyone use the Marklin Control Tracks to control train operation and have a 88320? My 88320 does not hit the switch on the control track and consequently causes havoc on the track. It appears there is no "bump" on the trucks that other locomotives have that hit the control switches.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any solutions??
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 21 February 2024 06:30:16(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. Hope all is well. Just trying to understand this, sorry for asking questions.

By control track do you mean that small track (aprox 4”)which has a plastic nub in the center between the rails? When placed on the track it stops or starts the locomotive?

Are you saying the nub on your track does not contact your Br320? I travels over it and the stop or start feature is not triggered?

Do I understand, the other locomotives continue to function properly on the track?

I know that track uses a physical shift on the position of the nub from one side to the other, either stoping or starting the locomotive. Dirt can interfere with the movement and this is a common problem. Have you examined the track closely to determine if the nub is worn or damaged? Clean it paying close attention to the nub location.

Please let me know. If the track is as I described above, I am sorry I don’t use this. If you don’t spot damage, if you have another track, could you replace it and see if it makes a difference?

I don’t know if this feature track is used that much anymore as many don’t like the abrupt start and stop action it causes. Perhaps others on this forum will have other suggestions.

Best wishes. Take good care.

Zme

Offline Steve444  
#3 Posted : 21 February 2024 12:47:05(UTC)
Steve444

United States   
Yes. By control track, I am referring to the track with the small "nub" or switch in the middle of it.

Other locomotives work fine with it.

When looking at the 88320, it does not have the same "bump" on the underside of the trucks of the locomotive that the other locomotives have.

Offline Wheelflat  
#4 Posted : 21 February 2024 18:14:15(UTC)
Wheelflat

United Kingdom   
They also made this loco incompatible with the old Electronic 08 controller (I think I read they are doing a recall for this). They could also have neglected to design the bogies to be compatible with the switching tracks.

You could very well be the first person to notice the issue.

I for one am not too impressed with the latest diesel and electric locos. The pantographs don't often work with the catenary straight out of the box, for example. I put my brand new RE460 in the track for the first time to discover the pantograph contact force was strong enough to bend the overhead wire upwards and cause the loco to struggle to move. One pantograph had such a terrible surface finish on the head, that it would just bind up on the wire and prevent the loco from even moving.

Märklin did send me some spare pantographs, but I am still going to have to go through the bother of weakening the springs before I can use them.

In short it seems like these locos are no longer even tested on the märklin track system.
Offline Steve444  
#5 Posted : 21 February 2024 19:29:57(UTC)
Steve444

United States   
A bit off the regular topic, but my platinum 50th anniversary 88569 does not seem to work well with the pantographs. However, it is mainly in a display case now, so I have not looked into making it work with the pantograph. I have other locomotives that work well using the pantograph on my layout.
Offline Zme  
#6 Posted : 21 February 2024 20:18:09(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello again.

Since this may be a design flaw and a disappointment.

Do you think it possible to put your own nub on this locomotive. Seems this is actually something that is done, but usually magnets are epoxied on to the bottom of the boggie. These trip contacts on the track.

Maybe you could do something similar to build your own, as long as it will trip the track nub. Might work. I don’t know if you would be interested in trying this. That track nub is just a small plastic post. You might not need to add much to make something to cause the nub change positions.

Just a suggestion, may or may not be a solution.

Take good care.

Zme
Offline Wheelflat  
#7 Posted : 22 February 2024 02:01:06(UTC)
Wheelflat

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Steve444 Go to Quoted Post
A bit off the regular topic, but my platinum 50th anniversary 88569 does not seem to work well with the pantographs. However, it is mainly in a display case now, so I have not looked into making it work with the pantograph. I have other locomotives that work well using the pantograph on my layout.

What are the symptoms? If it's anything like my 8842, the connection from the roof to the circuit board can be unreliable.
Offline Steve444  
#8 Posted : 22 February 2024 12:58:00(UTC)
Steve444

United States   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hello again.

Since this may be a design flaw and a disappointment.

Do you think it possible to put your own nub on this locomotive. Seems this is actually something that is done, but usually magnets are epoxied on to the bottom of the boggie. These trip contacts on the track.

Maybe you could do something similar to build your own, as long as it will trip the track nub. Might work. I don’t know if you would be interested in trying this. That track nub is just a small plastic post. You might not need to add much to make something to cause the nub change positions.

Just a suggestion, may or may not be a solution.

Take good care.

Zme

Thanks!

Building up a nub on the bottom of the biggie is what I was thinking. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this. Oh well. I guess I need to get with DCC (someday).
Offline Steve444  
#9 Posted : 22 February 2024 13:03:30(UTC)
Steve444

United States   
Originally Posted by: Wheelflat Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Steve444 Go to Quoted Post

What are the symptoms? If it's anything like my 8842, the connection from the roof to the circuit board can be unreliable.

As I recall, it ran rather hesitantly using the pantograph. It was a very smooth runner just running from the track. As you say, it is most likely the contact between circuit board and roof. I have been working on other things and since this is mainly a display unit, I have not looked into it.
Offline Zme  
#10 Posted : 23 February 2024 17:08:07(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

I don’t know if you will get any other advice from the forum. You are the first to bring up this topic. You might also have to be the first to report your solution.

I suppose it would be okay if the hub were made out of a metal material as this is what the original ones were.

Perhaps something like JB Weld would give a permanent bond, I don’t know. I know the anxiety level will build performing this task, but the end result could be just what you want.

Let’s us know what you come up with.

Best wishes, take good care.

Dwight

For an issue with an 8842. I while back I had a non-op 8842 and figured out it was the circuit board. I was able to pick up a replacement and it also had attached LED lighting on each end. This was factory made. Put it in, and it worked fine. Source was Z Scale Hobo. Maybe he still has some of these available.

Might work out.
Offline Wheelflat  
#11 Posted : 23 February 2024 19:17:14(UTC)
Wheelflat

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post

For an issue with an 8842. I while back I had a non-op 8842 and figured out it was the circuit board. I was able to pick up a replacement and it also had attached LED lighting on each end. This was factory made. Put it in, and it worked fine. Source was Z Scale Hobo. Maybe he still has some of these available.

Might work out.

I meant my 8852 crocodile! I should give up trying to remember the model numbers. It seems as though Steve444's crocodile has a similar issue.