Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline fabstar68  
#1 Posted : 20 February 2024 23:44:19(UTC)
fabstar68

Italy   
hi all,
on
i got an LDT LS-DEC-8x2 module to control Viessman 4011 color signals, i am using it in a H0 layout with Marklin Mobile station.

i followed the instructions and got it to work, assigned MM address 145 & 149 for the two banks, connected the viessman signal black with the +5 as indicated, red and green to RT1 and GN, jumper J1 removed, jumper j2 let it. jumper j3 removed after programming. Using track current for both input and output current.

The issue is, i noticed that the light intensity was quite low. i tried to connect the signal to an external 12V DC power supply, and that made a lot of difference, it was much brighter. so i checked the voltage, and saw that the light that was ON had barely +5 volts, while the light that was off was at 0 volts.

what am i doing wrong ? thanks for any tip
Offline PeFu  
#2 Posted : 21 February 2024 00:33:05(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
It seems as if Viessmann is practicing a common cathode for the 4011 signal? (pic below from the manual) Then jumper J1 should be in, and black connected to -5. Also, make sure you have connected all cables from the signal either to the ”Left” or ”Right” side of the decoder, i.e. no mix.

According to the decoder manual, you should only feed the decoder’s KL1 with 14-18V AC, or digital track power.

If light intensity still is too low, the reason could be the 330 Ohm resistor which is integrated in the decoder. Then you could replace the signal cable’s resistor with a resistor having lower Ohm.

IMG_2073.jpeg

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline fabstar68  
#3 Posted : 21 February 2024 16:02:08(UTC)
fabstar68

Italy   
thx for your kind reply, but the LS-DEC-8x2 instructions clearly say that Viessmann signals have common anode, i report below an extract from the instructions :

Common connection:
All LED-signals of any manufacturer are designed in accordance to the
same principle. One wire of all light emitting diodes of a signal will be
generally connected to a common cable. Depending if all anodes or all
cathodes are connected together the signals will be called as common
anodes- respectively common cathodes-signal.
If you use signals with common anodes (e.g. supplied from Viessmann
or alphamodell) you have to clamp this cable to the connection marked
'+'. In addition you shall not insert the connection plug bridge in J1 in
this case.
If you use signals with common cathodes you have to clamp this cable
to the connection marked '-'. In addition you shall insert the connection
plug bridge in J1 in this case.
The second connection of each light diode is separated and mostly color
marked at the end and contains a series resistor.

of course i could try to follow your suggestions, but i really was expecting this to work straight forward, so i'm still wondering if i'm missing something, i have a defective unit, or else...

thx
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by fabstar68
Offline PeFu  
#4 Posted : 21 February 2024 18:46:32(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Well, at least the current version of the Viessmann 4011 signal has a common cathode, so the LDT instruction isn’t clear on this matter. However, if you can switch between RED and GREEN on your current setup, that must imply your version of the 4011 signal has a common anode.

Smile
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10