Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline janneke  
#1 Posted : 11 February 2024 10:43:42(UTC)
janneke

United Kingdom   
IMG-20240211-WA0003.jpgIMG-20240211-WA0001.jpgIMG-20240211-WA0004.jpgIMG-20240211-WA0000.jpgIMG-20240211-WA0002.jpg

Dear Marklin enthusiasts!

My family found this Marklin train in an attic a few days ago and we are trying to establish it's value. Could anyone please advise?

Thank you
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by janneke
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#2 Posted : 11 February 2024 17:37:29(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
If not counterfeit (I am not the expert, but a few details seem "off"), a literal fortune. Congratulations!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline janneke  
#3 Posted : 11 February 2024 17:59:54(UTC)
janneke

United Kingdom   
Thanks you very much for your response! If anyone else would like to comment or add anything else that would be really helpful as I am not an expert in such old trains and their value. I have looked at the train very carefully and my instinct tells me that it is not counterfeit, repaired or tampered with in any way. I appreciate being able to use this forum because of my lack of knowledge!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by janneke
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2024 12:59:26(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I wouldn't know what John means by "a few thngs seem off", but note that the wheel sets look uncorroded, which can be rare on old trains. It survived WW2 unscaved as well.
Janneck, I referred you to the Kohl's book, but forgot about Grenbergs. I would also consult Christie's.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 12 February 2024 13:36:09(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
I did some research and there is little information (pictures).
In the Märklin 1938 catalogue, the starter box is mentioned but without any picture
In the Koll's catalogue I have 1993, the loco alone is valued at 9000 DM
In the Greenberg's guide to Märklin OO / HO the SLR700 LMS is valued at 1500 USD

All agree there are many fake items because the price is doubled between a normal SLR and an LMS version.
On the coaches the check would be easier as fake lithographed steel is much harder to make.
Note: there are simple processes to make wheels shiny again so it does not mean anything.
Always be suspicious of a too new-looking item that is 86 years old. Also check for "Zinkpest" very common at the time especially on the coach wheels
Cheers
Jean
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline marklinist5999  
#6 Posted : 12 February 2024 15:52:33(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
If wheels are badly pitted, no amount of burnishing would help much, and if it did, the diameter would be greatly reduced or out of round.
Offline janneke  
#7 Posted : 17 February 2024 22:25:54(UTC)
janneke

United Kingdom   
Thank you everyone for your posts and email replies about this find - my sister-in-law is taking the investigations further on from now, but I will keep you posted once she manages to get an expert eye to say whether it is counterfeit or not, also just in case someone here is interested in buying it. I appreciate and admire your expertise, and thanks for letting me post on your forum!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by janneke
Offline cookee_nz  
#8 Posted : 18 February 2024 23:47:49(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: janneke Go to Quoted Post
Thank you everyone for your posts and email replies about this find - my sister-in-law is taking the investigations further on from now, but I will keep you posted once she manages to get an expert eye to say whether it is counterfeit or not, also just in case someone here is interested in buying it. I appreciate and admire your expertise, and thanks for letting me post on your forum!

Almost as important for some people is the story behind the set, ie the provenance or history.

When you say 'found' in the attic, is this a house you've purchased and found it, or one you've lived in a long time?

Was it with other similar items (model railway), packed in a trunk, or on a dusty shelf etc.

Fascinated, not nosey BigGrin
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz