Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jbiggie  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2024 10:50:18(UTC)
jbiggie

Netherlands   
Good morning, I am rebuilding my marklin m rails layout after 20 years. Now some locomotives and wagons are running out of points. They open against the point between the diverging and through rail. Can you do anything about that yourself?
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2024 11:25:29(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi jbiggie (A first name would be so much better)
A warm welcome to this forum of Märklin friends.
Here a Märklin fan from Paris, France.
M track is just great but has been produced over a huge period of time (from 1956 to 1999) and there were changes over the years.

In your case, I understand that when crossing turnouts towards the diverging tracks some locos and wagons derail and possibly on the frog (the sort of "V"-shaped grove and at the same level, you have counter-rails to force wheels to stay in the frog's grove. So if this not the case ignore my message

One of 2 things may happen:
- the derailing vehicles are recent and with a larger wheel-spacing than the "traditional" Märklin. Wheel-spacing for recent trains are 14.0 (Märklin) and 14.4 (2 rail-like trains) as measured between wheel flanges.
- the M track switch is old with metal counter-rails that may need some re-adjusting

Old M Track turnout
old5202.png
In this production style, the counter-rails are made of sheet metal. They are fixed by two metal tongues going through the metal ballast and are slightly twisted underneath.
So the solution is to untwist the tongue (so the counter-rail becomes loose). Next hold it a bit further away from the frog (and closer to the rail nearby) and gently twist it back again
Ideally, having one of the wheel sets that is creating problems helps a lot understanding where and why it bumps on the frog

Note: on later M track productions, the counter-rails are a one piece plastic including the frog and on those there is much less that can be done (but usually they don't get out of adjustment

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline jbiggie  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2024 11:44:40(UTC)
jbiggie

Netherlands   
Thanks, i will try it. I have the metal counter rails.
Offline Michael4  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2024 11:49:00(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I have forgotten the wheel flange spacing that is ideal for M track...is it 13.8mm?
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2024 12:53:31(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Micharel
In the old days (50s and 60s) the Märklin flange distance was 13.8 and it evolved up to 14.0 to 14.1 while for 2 rails it is 14.4 mm
Cheers
Jean
Offline jbiggie  
#6 Posted : 06 February 2024 16:00:16(UTC)
jbiggie

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: jbiggie Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, i will try it. I have the metal counter rails.

Unfortunately this solution did not help, they were a bit loose so I tightened them as you indicated. Still locos continue to derail on them. Now I also read something about axle width. Are there different axle widths> Has that anything to do with it?
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 06 February 2024 16:50:31(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
The wheel spacing is critical in these matters.
Wheel spacing? The distance between the flanges of the wheel set.
For Märklin it used to be 13.8 - 13.9 and is now 14.0 - 14.1 to converge with international standards.

A bit of theory:
If the axle is mounted on a short pony truck (usually on steamers and old electric locos, then in absence of the counter rail, a small diameter pony truck wheel could enter the frog with an angle and allow the wheel in the frog to bump on the frog nose (where the two wheel paths separate).

So the counter-rail helps with a properly adjusted wheelset to follow a smooth path into the frog.
It means that bogies are less susceptible than pony trucks to this phenomenon.
It also means that in absence of springs to push the pony truck it will bounce and derail more easily.

What is a pony truck? a wheel set rotating from a vertical axle and usually gently pressed by springs on the track.

So gross deviation of wheel spacing may occur by accident:
- when trying to rotate the motor byt rotating the wheels
- when cleaning too energetically the wheels
- when they have been poorly assembled.

Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Michael4  
#8 Posted : 06 February 2024 23:25:18(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Jean,

Many thanks. I have a box full of old goods wagons that are behaving badly. I will double check 13.8mm. But all my old coaches are behaving well...I think they are less susceptible to derailing since they have some flexibility!

It might help if I had track that hasn't been trodden on by small feet over the years

Michael
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline jbiggie  
#9 Posted : 07 February 2024 13:09:47(UTC)
jbiggie

Netherlands   
Good afternoon Jean,

Do I understand correctly from your explanation that the problem with the turnouts may be caused by the fact that the axle width of my locomotives and cars may vary. I have stuff from about 1965 until now. If so then of course measuring is the follow-up question if that can be solved? Thanks for your enlightening input!
Offline JohnjeanB  
#10 Posted : 07 February 2024 14:28:18(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi jbiggie
No the Marklin wheel spacing does NOT vary by itself
You may check easily with a caliper or by comparing with a wheel set you is recent and good
Cheers
Jean
Offline dlwestphalen  
#11 Posted : 07 February 2024 14:34:05(UTC)
dlwestphalen

Canada   
I extended the counter rails with electrical tape (as a temporary solution) and it worked. No more derailing with any loco (new or old).

Obviously it didn’t stay in place for too long. I am still looking for a more permanent solution but at least I think I am on the right track.

https://www.marklin-user...urnout-Derailment--Fixed

Cheers
Denis
Offline jbiggie  
#12 Posted : 07 February 2024 14:40:19(UTC)
jbiggie

Netherlands   
Good afternoon Dennis,

My thoughts were also on sticking something on it. You indicated electrical tape. What exactly is that, I have electrical tape but you mean something else?
Offline dlwestphalen  
#13 Posted : 07 February 2024 15:04:19(UTC)
dlwestphalen

Canada   
Just simple and plain electrical tape.

I tried shrink tube but I could not make it stay in place.

I am still exploring a more permanent solution. Perhaps 3D print longer counter rails? Let me know if you come up with something better!!!
Offline jbiggie  
#14 Posted : 07 February 2024 15:13:52(UTC)
jbiggie

Netherlands   
Dennis, the translation for this went wrong, I mean I have electrical wire, which is round. What do you mean by electrical tape, flat wire or something like that? Anyway I'm going to experiment with it.
Offline dlwestphalen  
#15 Posted : 07 February 2024 15:41:38(UTC)
dlwestphalen

Canada   
This one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_tape

Also check the picture on the forum post I put a link on my initial comment.

Offline JohnjeanB  
#16 Posted : 07 February 2024 16:46:58(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
May I slightly disagree with you?
Electrical tape is very soft and elastic and does not remain in place.
Next, I have used a thin rectangle of brass (bronze is also OK): It is thin, rather hard and allows wheel flanges to glide on it. Big drawback: If it become loose then you get yourself a nice short circuit.

Sorry to repeat myself: The last try I did worked EVERY TIME
- Loosen the metal counter rail.
- Then determine, using a good wheelset the wished position of the counterrail.
- Then attach firmly the counter rail in the exact desired position (keep holding it while you twist the tongue!) by twisting back the tongues under the metal ballast.

The counter rail stays in place exactly where you want and allows a very smooth ride on the turnout.

Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline jbiggie  
#17 Posted : 07 February 2024 16:53:58(UTC)
jbiggie

Netherlands   
I will work on it on saterday
Offline dlwestphalen  
#18 Posted : 07 February 2024 16:58:12(UTC)
dlwestphalen

Canada   
Yes, you can disagree with me 😊.

As I said initially: it didn’t stay in place!

But it helped me to confirm the problem is solved if the counter rail is extended.

Thanks for repeating yourself … it gave me the opportunity to read your explanation more carefully. I have one question: by following your steps, is it actually possible to attach the counter rails in a slightly different position?

I didn’t attempt this approach because I was not clear if they could be moved. Also, I always avoid twisting the tongues because I am afraid I will not be able to keep them tight and firm later.

Anyway I will get one of my old turnouts and play with it. Thanks!

Denis
Offline JohnjeanB  
#19 Posted : 07 February 2024 18:07:14(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: dlwestphalen Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for repeating yourself … it gave me the opportunity to read your explanation more carefully. I have one question: by following your steps, is it actually possible to attach the counter rails in a slightly different position?

Yes the key point is you select the best position for the counter rail, hold it while twisting the tongues and it stays where you want. Very very simple.

Offline Paul59  
#20 Posted : 07 February 2024 18:36:18(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
I have had one mtrack curved point where this happened regularly with certain stock. Sure enough the counter rail (we call them check rails in the UK) was loose. I didn't want to lift the point so I just held the check rail where I thought it should be and put a couple of dabs of superglue down where the tabs were.
It works well and nothing derails on it now.
Marklin HO using M track. Now reverted to analogue as I find it has more character - and I understand it!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Paul59
Offline applor  
#21 Posted : 08 February 2024 01:38:02(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I recently had this issue on my K track 3-way switch with a certain wagon.
I added a thin piece of plastic to the counter rail to reduce the gap - ie. credit card thickness.
It is in a hidden area so appearances didn't matter but would be possible to leave it looking nice if needed.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline DB Fan  
#22 Posted : 08 February 2024 01:59:49(UTC)
DB Fan

United States   
Hello
Here is another possibility for derailment on a m track switch. If the tongue doesn’t close all the way it can cause derailments as well. It happened to me but only with a few cars and some tenders. It took me a while to figure out what was the cause for it and found that on 1 switch the tongue was slightly bend and was easy to fix with bending it back into place. Another switch had a worn out spring and needed to be replaced. Hope this helps.

Robert
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DB Fan
Offline jbiggie  
#23 Posted : 08 February 2024 19:23:48(UTC)
jbiggie

Netherlands   
applor , what sort of glue did you use?
Offline applor  
#24 Posted : 09 February 2024 00:26:18(UTC)
applor

Australia   
superglue
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline jbiggie  
#25 Posted : 10 February 2024 11:39:39(UTC)
jbiggie

Netherlands   
I first fixed the counter rail this morning by twisting tighter. That didn't help enough, there wasn't really room to move them a little closer to the rail either. They seemed to be stuck in some kind of frame of hard cardboard or something. Now I used super glue to glue a narrow strip of less than 2 mm from an old bank card to the counter rail, that seems to work. What that means in the long run remains to be seen

Offline jbiggie  
#26 Posted : 10 February 2024 12:22:07(UTC)
jbiggie

Netherlands   
I first fixed the counter rail this morning by twisting tighter. That didn't help enough, there wasn't really room to move them a little closer to the rail either. They seemed to be stuck in some kind of frame of hard cardboard or something. Now I used super glue to glue a narrow strip of less than 2 mm from an old bank card to the counter rail, that seems to work. What that means in the long run remains to be seen

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jbiggie
Offline dlwestphalen  
#27 Posted : 13 February 2024 14:46:30(UTC)
dlwestphalen

Canada   
My follow up:

- I tried to move the counter rails. I released the piece by twisting the tongues but it was not possible to move the counter rails. I could barely make any difference. No success.

- I decided to go back to my approach. I extended the counter rail this time by soldering a small piece of metal. I used a shrinking tube to make the transition smooth. It worked … similar to my temporary electric tape. I got greedy and tested at high speeds. Nope. New locos still derailing.

- I decided to increase the height of the frog on the opposite side. I used some glue. The problem got worse. Trains were derailing at any speed.

- Then I did the opposite. I filed the plastic frog because I noticed the fronts wheels were “bumping” against the frog. SUCCESS!!!

- Just to make sure it was not a fluke, I took another 5140 turnout where the new locos derail. I simply filed a bit the frog. Voila. All locos can take the inner curve at any speed with no derailment.

I was almost to the point of avoiding the use of curved turnouts in my future permanent layout (in planning phase). Finally I considered the problem solved!

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by dlwestphalen
Offline hxmiesa  
#28 Posted : 14 February 2024 22:34:29(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: dlwestphalen Go to Quoted Post

- I tried to move the counter rails. I released the piece by twisting the tongues but it was not possible to move the counter rails. I could barely make any difference. No success.
- I decided to go back to my approach. I extended the counter rail this time by soldering a small piece of metal. I used a shrinking tube to make the transition smooth. It worked … similar to my temporary electric tape. I got greedy and tested at high speeds. Nope. New locos still derailing.
- I decided to increase the height of the frog on the opposite side. I used some glue. The problem got worse. Trains were derailing at any speed.
- Then I did the opposite. I filed the plastic frog because I noticed the fronts wheels were “bumping” against the frog. SUCCESS!!!
- Just to make sure it was not a fluke, I took another 5140 turnout where the new locos derail. I simply filed a bit the frog. Voila. All locos can take the inner curve at any speed with no derailment.
I was almost to the point of avoiding the use of curved turnouts in my future permanent layout (in planning phase). Finally I considered the problem solved!

This is interessting. I need to do something like this too.
Would it be possible for you to document this more precisely with photos and/or drawings, for permanent conservation of this solution in the forum?

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Michael4  
#29 Posted : 14 February 2024 23:19:47(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
This sounds like an excellent solution for the dreaded 5140.

Are you filing the pointed end that faces oncoming traffic? And by filing it do you mean you are filing the sides of it to make it smaller/thinner?