Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baja463  
#1 Posted : 01 February 2024 20:27:06(UTC)
baja463

Howdy, M Track Users!

I'm moving to C track after many years, and I want to test all my M switches before putting the whole lot up for sale. It's been a couple of years since I've set up a complete layout, and I just realized that I really don't know ... Can I test a switch "stand-alone" (all by itself) or does it have to be connected to a complete wired "loop"? I tried testing one stand-alone with no good results, but I don't know if it's because the switch is bad or if it has to be wired into the loop.

I know there are a lot of M track users here ... Can one of you help?

Many thanks in advance!

Bill

Offline Paul59  
#2 Posted : 01 February 2024 21:42:51(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
I assume that you want to test the point switching action and the operation of the lantern as well.
The easiest way if you have several to test is to hook up a track feeder section to a transformer. It doesn't matter about the red wire so long as the brown ground wire is connected.
Then just connect each point in turn to this feeder track section. Plug the yellow into the lighting socket on the transformer and the lantern should glow. Grounding either of the blue wires by touching them to one of the rails should switch the point one way or the other depending on which blue wire you touch to the rail.

You don't actually need a feeder track - a wire plugged into the ground connection on the transformer with a crocodile clip on the other end to clip it to one of the rails on the point would do but is a bit more fiddly.
Marklin HO using M track. Now reverted to analogue as I find it has more character - and I understand it!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Paul59
Offline baja463  
#3 Posted : 01 February 2024 22:05:25(UTC)
baja463

Thank you, Paul -- just the information I was looking for,. Appreciate it.