Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline spinnerguy  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2024 13:30:30(UTC)
spinnerguy

United Kingdom   
Just acquired this used .it runs ok,and I have given it a light oiling. The casing is becoming hot after 4-5 minutes running,with voltage half way on controller.I suppose this means motor brushes are on the way out ?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by spinnerguy
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 22 January 2024 13:38:06(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Remove the body and run it to see if the heat is from the motor or the field coil if it is an older analog version. You can check the brushes for wear and replace them. Check the capacitors and condenser for heat and melting.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2024 14:33:33(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Remove the body and run it to see if the heat is from the motor or the field coil if it is an older analog version. You can check the brushes for wear and replace them. Check the capacitors and condenser for heat and melting.

As the posting is in the "small scale" section I suspect it doesn't have a field coil, being a Z gauge item ... Blink

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline spinnerguy  
#4 Posted : 22 January 2024 17:47:24(UTC)
spinnerguy

United Kingdom   
Correct,it is Z scale.I have no means of checking the elecricals,apart from visual .Body has been lifted off ,top bearing oiled on motor which has reduced the heat .
There is wear left on brushes.The casing is a tight fit over motor,with not much air to cool it .Will monitor ....
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by spinnerguy
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#5 Posted : 22 January 2024 20:58:03(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: spinnerguy Go to Quoted Post
Just acquired this used .it runs ok,and I have given it a light oiling. The casing is becoming hot after 4-5 minutes running,with voltage half way on controller.I suppose this means motor brushes are on the way out ?

I don't think worn brushes would make the motor run hot, in fact I very much doubt it's an electrical issue, you'll be pleased to hear. More likely is that the mechanism isn't running freely and this is placing excess load on the motor. There has been a discussion on one of the other threads recently about freeing gunked up mechanisms so check that out for suggestions that don't involve disassembling the entire loco.

Good luck!

Chris

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline spinnerguy  
#6 Posted : 22 January 2024 22:01:38(UTC)
spinnerguy

United Kingdom   
Now the oil has worked through,I think the top motor bearing being dry was causing the problem.I dont think the loco has been oiled in a long time,if at all.
Now running cooler and smoother.......
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by spinnerguy
Offline Zme  
#7 Posted : 26 January 2024 03:04:51(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well.

A while back, there was a discussion here that the brushes on these small locomotives could be causing excessive pressure. I expect this would makes sense also.

Here is a video from one of our members, z scale hobo. Manipulate of the brushes could be something to consider if your problems continue.

Check it out, take good care.

Dwight
Offline Wheelflat  
#8 Posted : 26 January 2024 19:35:56(UTC)
Wheelflat

United Kingdom   
You must clean the gaps between the commutator plates using a sharpened wooden toothpick. If these are clogged the motor will draw about 0.3 amps and get hot.
Also make sure the commutator is free from grease and the the loco is otherwise in free running, well serviced condition as others have said.

Once you have cleaned the gaps, expect to see it draw about 0.18 amps maximum. These motors always get a little bit warm, but they should not get really hot.

Carefully bending the brushes to reduce the tension will reduce the current consumption a bit, and make for smoother starts. If there is not enough tension however you will get excessive sparking and poor running. Only play with the brush tension if absolutely necessary.

Hope this helps
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Wheelflat
Offline husafreak  
#9 Posted : 02 February 2024 17:20:25(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I have an older BR89 (five pole) which has always gotten hot. It was one of my first locos. Oiling it would produce wisps of smoke! But it always ran and as I acquired more loco's I used it less and less. Maybe I'll try the tips listed above. I have never specifically cleaned the "gaps" on a commutator or adjusted brush tension.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline marklinist5999  
#10 Posted : 02 February 2024 18:14:53(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
A tighter area inside the body for the motor.