Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Alex H  
#1 Posted : 20 January 2024 20:51:28(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Hi

I am looking to build up a collection of 4 BR798/998 (Marklin 39980) to run the shuttle services on my layout. I am running a Z21 Black control unit and iTrain, along with a number locos from manufacturers other than Marklin and running under DCC protocol.

I would like to replace the MM decoders that are likely to be in the 798's with something that will be more compatible with DCC and easier to configure. I gather the 798's have a NEM 660 decoder socket.

Could anyone offer me any suggestions/advice please?

Many thanks
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 20 January 2024 21:43:50(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Alex H Go to Quoted Post
Hi

I am looking to build up a collection of 4 BR798/998 (Marklin 39980) to run the shuttle services on my layout. I am running a Z21 Black control unit and iTrain, along with a number locos from manufacturers other than Marklin and running under DCC protocol.

I would like to replace the MM decoders that are likely to be in the 798's with something that will be more compatible with DCC and easier to configure. I gather the 798's have a NEM 660 decoder socket.

Could anyone offer me any suggestions/advice please?

Many thanks

The 39980 units have the very first msd/3 decoders in them. This decoder will accept DCC operation.

The decoder has a 21pin MTC connector. Alternative decoders - if you really must change it - would be ESU 5 or Zimo, which both supply decoders that will plug straight on.

Offline Alex H  
#3 Posted : 20 January 2024 22:40:17(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Hi, thanks for the post.

I was unable to read any CV values using my Z21 on the Programming track. I have a small test track and I connected my MS2 and was able to read the decoder and get the loco moving, and read the CV1 value.

Given I was unable to read the decoder with the Z21 I assumed that the decoder was incompatible. I tried with the Z21 set to both DCC and Motorola decorders, including manually setting the CV1 value in the Z21.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 21 January 2024 00:37:36(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hi, thanks for the post.

I was unable to read any CV values using my Z21 on the Programming track. I have a small test track and I connected my MS2 and was able to read the decoder and get the loco moving, and read the CV1 value.

Given I was unable to read the decoder with the Z21 I assumed that the decoder was incompatible. I tried with the Z21 set to both DCC and Motorola decorders, including manually setting the CV1 value in the Z21.

DCC may have been turned off in the decoder. Check the manual for the register to modify (from memory it is CV49, but don't quote me). You should be able to write to it 'blind' to program it, the required value is 15 to turn on all protocols, but I don't know why your Z21 won't read it.

As an aside to this, I would strongly recommend that you find someone with a cs2 or cs3 and update the decoder firmware. If they still have the original ex-factory firmware in the decoders there is a good possibility of burning out the decoder. An unusually large number of this particular model were reported as being returned for warranty repairs (mine included) after the decoder burnt out. I put it down to it being the very first release of the firmware and there were problems in it that caused the motor to draw too much current and thence burn out the decoder. Later versions of the firmware don't have this problem.
Offline Alex H  
#5 Posted : 21 January 2024 10:24:07(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
The manual is not one of Marklin's finest BigGrin as you can see from below. No real info on the registers.

Given that, as far as I can find, there is no-one in my area you has a CS2; and from what you say, it is probably another reason to simply swap out the decoders, if that is all that is necessary, so that I have peace of mind for the future.

Alex

IMG_7102.jpeg
Offline Nigel Packer  
#6 Posted : 21 January 2024 12:49:41(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
The manual is not one of Marklin's finest BigGrin as you can see from below. No real info on the registers.

Given that, as far as I can find, there is no-one in my area you has a CS2; and from what you say, it is probably another reason to simply swap out the decoders, if that is all that is necessary, so that I have peace of mind for the future.

Alex

There are several of us here in the UK who can do stuff like that for you, if you don’t mind sending us parcels and waiting for the return.

Nigel (born in Plymouth, but now in the North)

Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
Offline Alex H  
#7 Posted : 21 January 2024 16:25:35(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Thank you Nigel, I don't mind sending parcels and may very well take you up on your kind offer. When I am ready, I will PM you if I may.

Alex
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alex H
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 22 January 2024 09:48:19(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
The 39980 units have the very first msd/3 decoders in them. This decoder will accept DCC operation.
The item appeared in 2006, so most likely it has an ESU decoder without DCC. Later releases may have an MSD, but not MSD/3, and also without DCC.

Note that the driver electronics of the C-Sine motor may interfere with DCC programming and that regular DCC programming may not function with the decoder in the loco. A decoder tester would help.
PoM should work.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
bph
Offline Alex H  
#9 Posted : 22 January 2024 13:03:24(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Thanks Tom for your post.

I think I'll go with my original idea and fit a new decoder in the locos so that I have commonality across the fleet

Alex