Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Eddie7979  
#1 Posted : 20 January 2024 11:53:01(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Hi all,

Hope your 2024 is going well so far.

Just wanted to ask if anyone out there owns any wagons from LS Modeles or one of the brands they are associated with (such as Models World).

One of my great frustrations is the lack of basic product information on their site. While I’d love to buy some of their wagons (especially the CIWL & SBB dining coaches), I’m hesitant to go ahead in case it doesn’t run on my layout.

To give you an idea, I’m using a mix of K & C track with mostly R2 and above radius curves. Unfortunately I also have R1 radius curves as well (something I’ll stay away from in the future).

Searching online, I found some reference to needing a minimum of R2 radius. One online store in Germany suggesting R2 as well, however it did not specify the measure or brand (ie R2 from Märklin is different to Roco).

I have looked all over for instruction manuals and YouTube videos, but was unable to find any success.

I would love to have any advice or feedback you are happy to offer.

Regards,

Eddie
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline David Dewar  
#2 Posted : 20 January 2024 12:47:14(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I bought a Swiss coach but it did not run well on C track. Changing the wheels to Marklin was not an option. Sorry I dont have the number of the coach as I no longer have it. The model was well made and good detail and was fitted with a slider and lighting which also was poor. However many on here like the models and maybe I was just unlucky.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Eddie7979  
#3 Posted : 20 January 2024 16:23:16(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
I bought a Swiss coach but it did not run well on C track. Changing the wheels to Marklin was not an option. Sorry I dont have the number of the coach as I no longer have it. The model was well made and good detail and was fitted with a slider and lighting which also was poor. However many on here like the models and maybe I was just unlucky.

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing your experience, that would have been a bit disappointing.

I was wondering whether the slider worked well and wondered if the trucks were designed to take a slider from another manufacturer.

Until I hear some positive feedback I might stay away.
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 20 January 2024 22:18:58(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have quite a few models from LS Models, both from the original days of cooperation with Heris and RailTop, from the Modern Gala period and from the post MG era.
I run mostly C Track although I don't have a permanent layout at the moment. Most often it is a floor layout with R4 and R5 curves
I have not had any major issues with using the original wheelsets on the C Track.
I have the SBB EWI Restaurant which came with slider remounted. I have not had those cars on the tracks yet.
My other models include the SBB RIC coaches and restaurants, the SBB EC coaches and a number of OBB and DB models, including City Night Line, DB Nachtzug, Nightjet and other materiel.
If you are ordering from a dealer, you can request AC wheels. A lot of Models World sets are today offered in either AC or DC versions.

My one issue with LSM (and ACME, Heris, Liliput) is that the coupling shafts do not extend as far as they ideally should and this can often lead to coaches not fully coupling.
My solution to this has been to exclusively use the Roco Universal Coupling (40397) with these coaches. Some models also are designed so that the coupling head can either be partially or fully inserted into the socket, which I guess is to answer the issue I mention. I also find that the coupling shafts could be constructed from more rigid plastic as I find that the shafts can hang down which can cause problems with centre studs and switch tracks and cause coupling issues with Roco close couplers and some other designs. The Roco Universal couplers tend to reduce this risk as well.

If you order from Huenerbein, Eyro or other dealers that carry LSM, you can ask them to fit your coaches with AC wheels.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 20 January 2024 23:45:40(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I have quite a few models from LS Models, both from the original days of cooperation with Heris and RailTop, from the Modern Gala period and from the post MG era.
I run mostly C Track although I don't have a permanent layout at the moment. Most often it is a floor layout with R4 and R5 curves
I have not had any major issues with using the original wheelsets on the C Track.
I have the SBB EWI Restaurant which came with slider remounted. I have not had those cars on the tracks yet.
My other models include the SBB RIC coaches and restaurants, the SBB EC coaches and a number of OBB and DB models, including City Night Line, DB Nachtzug, Nightjet and other materiel.
If you are ordering from a dealer, you can request AC wheels. A lot of Models World sets are today offered in either AC or DC versions.

My one issue with LSM (and ACME, Heris, Liliput) is that the coupling shafts do not extend as far as they ideally should and this can often lead to coaches not fully coupling.
My solution to this has been to exclusively use the Roco Universal Coupling (40397) with these coaches. Some models also are designed so that the coupling head can either be partially or fully inserted into the socket, which I guess is to answer the issue I mention. I also find that the coupling shafts could be constructed from more rigid plastic as I find that the shafts can hang down which can cause problems with centre studs and switch tracks and cause coupling issues with Roco close couplers and some other designs. The Roco Universal couplers tend to reduce this risk as well.

If you order from Huenerbein, Eyro or other dealers that carry LSM, you can ask them to fit your coaches with AC wheels.

Regards

Mike C

Hi Mike You should try the coach with the slider through two and three way turnouts. I found it was not good and going through one turnout the slider came away from the fiting. Maybe I just had a bad model but I now would think twice before buying another LSM but as said they do look good.

Regards

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar