Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ruud  
#1 Posted : 19 January 2024 10:23:42(UTC)
Ruud

Spain   
Hello,

I am starting my first ever layout design in Railmodeller Pro (I have Mac and not confident to run a windows program on it, so no Wintracks) and I am struggling a bit, for instance to get a closed loop and create elevations. I am a newbie in all regards so getting a bit overwhelmed with the Marlin C geometry, what works, what doesn't work and on top the Railmodeler program.

I have attached an image of the space I have more or less (L shaped) and what I have been trying to design so far. For the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to close the loop so obviously I am breaking some basic design rules I am unaware off...

What I am looking to achieve:

- a relatively simple to wire and operate system with at least 2 loops, perhaps in dogbone layout.
- ample room for landscaping, a small train station with small fiddle yard and loc shed, epoch III/IV with steam and diesel. Not looking to fill it with as much rail as possible but keep space for landscaping and buildings
- some elevation to incorporate tunnels and bridges
- Marklin C digital operated

Any recommendations, tips, tricks very much appreciated. Also would love to get in contact with someone who has more experience with Railmodeller Pro, I am definitely not a wizzkid with this kind of stuff so struggling

Thank you
Ruud
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ruud
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 19 January 2024 12:58:46(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Hi Rudd. It's a challenge even for me, and I've built two layouts with M and C track. I actually see one loop with sidings. What is the inner one for in the upper right corner? Are you planning a small depot, or a facility there? I suggest a double track loop the entire run. You can do two crossover sections or one double slip. Also change the radius geometry in the L area to be only 90 degrees. The S looks odd, and might be a problem for longer cars. You can leave the station offset from horizontal if you need, but making it parallel will make more room for structures. There is usually some cut and try assembly in every project. I ordered a couple if not a few of each size of Short C track curved and straight pieces to adjust for the best fits. You may change the radius geometry in the K to R2 if R 3 won't fit, most cars can negotiate it. Best of luck and have fun! Keep us updated on your progress.
Offline Ruud  
#3 Posted : 19 January 2024 15:52:07(UTC)
Ruud

Spain   
Okay so new attempt, at least this time I managed to get 2 full loops connected. The red block is a station, which I now moved south but not sure how visually appealing it is there. On the plus there is space for a little fiddle yard there as well with a loc shed and such.

Alternatively I am thinking to put the station on the North long stretch, put the main line behind the station and stretch the inner line a bit more inwards and add another line perhaps. There's a bit more space there for a station and I have more possibilities for good sheds and such. Thoughts?

Also what else can I do to make it more appealing. on the right corner I want to add a decent size mountain with tunnels, once I figure out how to create height difference in this planning software. basically the long stretches on the right and top I would like to see them inclined.

To rehash what I am trying to attempt:
- a relatively SIMPLE to wire and operate system with at least 2 loops
- ample room for landscaping, a small train station with small fiddle yard and loc shed, epoch III/IV Germany with steam and diesel. Not looking to fill it with as much rail as possible but keep space for landscaping and buildings, perhaps some small industry of some kind
- some elevation to incorporate tunnels and bridges
- Marklin C digital operated

Far from a finalized product but eager to hear thoughts and comments. I keep on thinking somehow I need to incorporate some form of dog bone to make it a bit more interesting, not sure

v2.2 copy.jpg
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 19 January 2024 16:38:25(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Better!
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 19 January 2024 16:55:06(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Ruud
I suggest to move the station into the curve and add a reversing loop.
Yes it is a bit more work to have curved platforms but so much nicer I think
Sans titre.png
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Ruud  
#6 Posted : 19 January 2024 17:02:38(UTC)
Ruud

Spain   

Thats an idea Johnjean, my only concern is from the viewpoint you would face the station from the back side and I am not sure that's very appealing. I am thinking Noch 66001 as a station, I used those measurements.

But I will play with the idea and see how it looks like. I like the reversing loop as it could be a nice place to place a nice bridge in the Valley.

Right now I am working on a version with the station on the topside and a fiddle yard below to see how it looks. To be continued!
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 19 January 2024 17:11:54(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Will make a nice long station track too!
Offline analogmike  
#8 Posted : 19 January 2024 23:14:53(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Flip curved pionts to access station from outer track.
Add crossover to outer track on other end of station.
Long station.
Reversing loop.
Lots of shunting.

v2.2 copy.jpg
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
Offline Alsterstreek  
#9 Posted : 19 January 2024 23:32:41(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Maybe food for thought? This is a US-themed bi-level L-shape design I proposed to another forum member almost 8 years ago.
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
My 6 x 7 ft H0 scale Maerklin C-track interpretation.
DRGW5x7 Kopie 5.png

I introduced a hidden distribution level - interweaving two reversing loops using sprung turnouts - for reversing (and temporary layover) of a train; the curved turnouts at the gate to the pretzel underworld need motors and are to be remotely controlled - see lower level plan.
DRGW5x7 Kopie 4.png
Like that trains can either circle into the same direction (by "ignoring" the underground pretzel) or reverse their direction, thereby pretending to depart to and arrive from a distant destination. Because of the underground pretzel, I could not match the original 5 x 7 N-scale dimensions...The pretzel arrangement is "long" enough to allow an EMD F7 A-B-B hauled six-coach California Zephyr or alternatively an EMD F7 A-B-A freight train with nine tin plate box cars plus caboose to turn around. Thanks to the Maerklin "three-rail" technology, the return loops do not cause a short circuit (unlike two-rail systems where "+" and *-" rails would touch each other).

The visible passing sidings on the upper level accommodate the same train lengths as the underground pretzel, i.e. an EMD F7 A-B-B hauled six-coach California Zephyr or alternatively an EMD F7 A-B-A freight train with nine tin plate box cars plus caboose

Assuming that the height distance between the two levels is 8 cm (7.5 cm clearance + 0.5 cm baseboard), the ramps stretching from lower level curved turnout to upper level turnouts have a gradient of 3%, respectively. From an aesthetic point of view that is acceptable and a piece of cake for Maerklin US locos. Lower level curved turnouts are on level ground, while the upper level curved turnouts are the last track segments on the ramp, respectively, i.e. the upper level station tracks are all on level ground. At the beginning of curves, there are wider radius "easement" for better looks of trains moving. No R1 curves used on visible mainline stretches.

Here is the full track plan plus track inventory.
DRGW5x7-1.pngDRGW5x7inventorty.png
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#10 Posted : 19 January 2024 23:41:10(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
And for European rolling stock a 190x165 cm L-shape design for Märklin C track (twisted multi-level dog bone) with huge landscaping potential - scroll down to post #2

https://www.stummiforum....-C-Gleis.html#msg2253244
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Willem99  
#11 Posted : 19 January 2024 23:45:33(UTC)
Willem99

United States   
Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post
Long station.
Reversing loop.
Lots of shunting.

v2.2 copy.jpg

OK, but once you have reversed here, how do you get back to the original direction ?
Thanks
Tim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Willem99
Offline Alsterstreek  
#12 Posted : 19 January 2024 23:55:06(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
This big city passenger traffic layout would require more cityscaping than landscaping. On the lower level a siding - plus stub tracks for freight traffic in front of the elevated passenger terminus - could be added.
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
Just a finger exercise.

c2e1.png

Artificially extended double-track mainline on condensed oddly shaped "corner module" (upper ledge = 170 cm); in-and-out operation from stub terminal on separate "shelf"; concealed reverse loop on lower level of "corner module"; R1 and R2 curves and 4% ruling grade.

cliff2edge.png
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline analogmike  
#13 Posted : 20 January 2024 00:46:00(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Originally Posted by: Willem99 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post
Long station.
Reversing loop.
Lots of shunting.

OK, but once you have reversed here, how do you get back to the original direction ?
Thanks
Tim

Back up. BigGrin

I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline Ruud  
#14 Posted : 25 January 2024 19:05:58(UTC)
Ruud

Spain   
So update,

I have chosen to take a bit simpler approach for now. I have ordered a track plan from Meises Modelbahn, a relative simple layout of 260x120 and will start to play with that once it arrives.
It will give me very much something to learn a lot from, experiment a lot and then in future perhaps build something bigger.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Ruud