Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline victorb53  
#1 Posted : 17 January 2024 16:49:34(UTC)
victorb53

Spain   
Does anyone have experience running the Marklin 39904 locomotive on M tracks and turnouts?
I had bought the Esu 31302 class G 1000 which is similar, but unfortunately had to return it because it was derailing on all turnouts.the diameter of the wheels is too small and could not handle the M track turnouts.
Your experience on the subject will be appreciated
Thank you.
Victor
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by victorb53
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2024 17:01:39(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I have a newer br 218, which is essentially the same in weight, and wheelbase. It occasionally stops when driving at lower speeds on a level C track curve of radius 3 or 4. No derailmaents, but it could be your coupling to the wagons of distance between the buffers and the copler hooks. Sometimes they just hang up too.
Offline victorb53  
#3 Posted : 17 January 2024 17:17:45(UTC)
victorb53

Spain   
thank you. the ESU I mentioned derailed all by itself, without any wagon attached to it.
The Marlin 39904 is very very similar to the ESU and that is why I asked if anyone had experience with it.
I may not be given the possibility to return it if I find out it has the same problem after I bought it.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 17 January 2024 18:15:57(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Regarding using M track, if it is in good shape (no bent rails / ballast and good rail joiners) and well adjusted counter-rails then there is ZERO problem with Märklin cars and waggon EXCEPT:
- very long cars may collide with swich lanterns (the large ones between 1956 and 1977)
- the R1 bridges may cause problems with long cars.

One critical thing is the wheel spacing Early wheel spacing (betrween flanges) was 13.9mm and is now 14.0 to 14.1 mm.
The counter rails on old M-track points are made of mild steel being inserted into the metallic ballast and anchoring tongues being twisted underneath the ballast.
On switches giving problems, you may loosen those counter-rails and put them back in place (usually closer to the rail) so that the "other" wheel is not bumping on the frog.
Newer M-track points have their counter-rail molded in plastic with the frog and ties. No adjustements there.

Slider length: Märklin certifies all its track pieces using a 50 mm long slider. There MUST NOT be any current pick-up interruption PROVIDED the slider is flat and new and without fixing recess and hole.

Solenoid speed: on C Track an impulse of 100 ms is enough to drive safely a solenoid. With M track points and signals, 200 mS usually will work but sometimes may require a 300 mS impulse.

So, it is sure a 39904 loco will pose NO problem on a good M track.

Cheers
Jean
Offline eduard71  
#5 Posted : 17 January 2024 19:05:58(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Hello Victor,
There are still many user of M track around there and these tracks work fine if you have older type locomotives and AC wheels, for new ones you can have problems due the lack of tolerance this track has. Many new locomotives already advise in their instructions that they could have problems with M track. If your layout is not too big, the best investment you can do is to change to C track. With C track you will also have the advantage to be able to run any DC car or wagon from other brands without almost any problem the same apply to other brand locomotives for AC.

Regards

Eduardo
Offline victorb53  
#6 Posted : 17 January 2024 22:30:15(UTC)
victorb53

Spain   
Dear Jean,
I thank you sincerely for all the valuable detailed information you have shared and for the encouragement about the purchase of the loco 39904.
I find it strange that it is not readily available in the train shops in Spain, except Iberplace.

I have many M tracks I have been using since many years, and now started adding the new C tracks to my layout, by the use of the transition tracks.
I have recently had my analogue locos converted to digital and am using the ESU control panel.

I am planning to buy new locos and that is the reason of my question about compatibility of new locos on M Tracks.

Thanks again

Offline victorb53  
#7 Posted : 17 January 2024 22:39:31(UTC)
victorb53

Spain   
Dear Eduardo,
I thank you for your clarifications. The point is that I have too many M tracks which I do not want to discard. So I am merging the new C tracks I buy with the old M ones. All my existing locos have been converted to digital.
I wanted to make sure the new generation locos I plan to buy will not derail of the M track turnouts. Otherwise I know there will be no problem on straight or curved tracks. Just the turnouts.
Thank you for your support
Victor
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 17 January 2024 22:40:47(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: victorb53 Go to Quoted Post
... the purchase of the loco 39904.
I find it strange that it is not readily available in the train shops in Spain, except Iberplace.

Officially that particular loco is only available in the official Marklin Stores, of which there are about 13 or so in Europe. That is why it is not generally available in all stores. That is why it is called a "store locomotive".

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline victorb53  
#9 Posted : 18 January 2024 09:14:23(UTC)
victorb53

Spain   
Thank you for the info Alan.