Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ciderglider  
#1 Posted : 12 January 2024 18:37:14(UTC)
ciderglider

United Kingdom   
A few years ago I bought an 8824 loco (German crocodile 194) from ebay. It was sold as a non-runner, and lived up to its billing. I have finally got around to fixing it, using Labelle Motor Cleaner to free up the gears. It now running, but in the process of dismantling the chassis I have broken the black wires that power the headlights. So I need to strip these back in order to resolder them.The wire strippers I have are too big, and a bit agricultural, so I have ordered a pair that will go down to AWG 34. Does anyone know what the gauge of the black wire is, so that I can set the stripper to the right size?
Offline Zme  
#2 Posted : 13 January 2024 01:19:07(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello,hope all well.

I purchased two sizes of wire cutters/strippers. The smaller one always works for cutting/stripping small Z wire and I use the smallest opening which is .40 mm or 26 AWG. The next larger size on this tool is .50 mm or 24 AWG.

I just could not use the larger wire cutter for this work. This one has a smallest size of 18 AWG. This one is more useful for around the house work. Here is a link for a tool which goes even smaller than mine

https://www.micromark.co...-Wire-Stripper-AWG-20-30

I hope this gives you the impression of the size of the wire. Some may disagree but I don’t think a wire which is slightly off would make much of a difference for a headlight wire.

I am not an expert, but I hope this is helpful.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline husafreak  
#3 Posted : 13 January 2024 08:24:58(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I almost never use wire strippers, I just roll the wire along a sharp X Acto blade to score it and pull off the covering. It is amazing to me how fine the wire can be for Z scale but I don't have any numbers. I do know solid wire is to be avoided, only multi strand flexible wire holds up. Hopefully you have a soldering station with a fine point iron. And I prefer very fine solder as well for this type of work.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline ciderglider  
#4 Posted : 13 January 2024 10:27:26(UTC)
ciderglider

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
I almost never use wire strippers, I just roll the wire along a sharp X Acto blade to score it and pull off the covering. It is amazing to me how fine the wire can be for Z scale but I don't have any numbers. I do know solid wire is to be avoided, only multi strand flexible wire holds up. Hopefully you have a soldering station with a fine point iron. And I prefer very fine solder as well for this type of work.

I am not skillful enough to use a blade to strip wire without taking a few strands of copper off as well, hence the purchase of a stripping tool.

I have a 1mm bit for my soldering iron, but I hadn't considered the diameter of the solder itself before you mentioned it. I have some Ersin Multicore solder which is about 1mm diameter. Would you say that is small enough? I see that smaller solders are available.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#5 Posted : 13 January 2024 14:22:49(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ciderglider Go to Quoted Post
I am not skillful enough to use a blade to strip wire without taking a few strands of copper off as well, hence the purchase of a stripping tool.

I have a 1mm bit for my soldering iron, but I hadn't considered the diameter of the solder itself before you mentioned it. I have some Ersin Multicore solder which is about 1mm diameter. Would you say that is small enough? I see that smaller solders are available.

I really wouldn't lose sleep over a few strands of copper. The current will be so low (probably just a few milliamps) that a single strand would be more than adequate.

However, to be sure I'd just work down from a larger size until the wire is stripped, that way you can't go wrong.

As for the solder, my advice would be to tin the stripped wire end by touching the soldering iron on the wire and then feeding in a tiny amount of solder. Do the same on the PCB or wherever the wire needs to make contact and then to make the joint hold the tinned wire in place and then heat (you won't need to add more solder) to make the joint. 1mm should be fine for this but, as you're in the UK, I'd be happy to pop a few lengths if finer solder in the post to you if you'd feel more confident with something thinner.

One piece of advice is to make sure your soldering iron tip is clean. Dampen a piece of cellulose sponge or a wad of kitchen paper and wipe the hot soldering iron tip on it. Feed a bit of solder onto the tip and wipe off the excess on the sponge/paper. The tip should be clean and shiny before you try to use it.

Hope this is of help

Chris
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline husafreak  
#6 Posted : 13 January 2024 18:06:18(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
1mm tip sounds pretty small, it should be fine until you start soldering DCC boards into your locos, ;)
I don't know if you are using a soldering station or an iron measured in watts but with a soldering station ($) we use temperature. Like 600-650 degrees F for lead and 700-750 degrees F for non lead solder.
I use Kester .03" solder 0.76mm, .025" = 0.64mm, and .015" = 0.38mm solder in my tool box. I would say the .025" gets used the most.

Oh, I score the wire coating and pull it off with my fingernails, if it doesn't pull off I score a bit more. I use "retired" blades for this, fresh new ones are too aggressive. You get a feel for it. And if a strand or two comes off I don't sweat it.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline ciderglider  
#7 Posted : 13 January 2024 18:35:44(UTC)
ciderglider

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post
1mm should be fine for this but, as you're in the UK, I'd be happy to pop a few lengths if finer solder in the post to you if you'd feel more confident with something thinner.

Thanks for the kind offer of the solder, and the advice on soldering technique, but I ordered some 0.6 mm solder from Amazon before I saw your message.