Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline fabstar68  
#1 Posted : 26 December 2023 23:44:25(UTC)
fabstar68

Italy   
hi all,

i am trying to set up a braking module with a 76496 signal. The manual "seems" clear about the wiring, until the part where it shows that the signal decoder must be connected (bottom-right connector when looking at the decoder in the signal manual) with the 3 wires jack (violet cable, a brown/red, and a red/green).

the manual says that the brown/red and red/green wires must be connected to "max 16V AC".

Now the question is, do i really need an external AC power supply ? why cannot i connect those wires to the B / 0 spade connectors in the track (where the signal decoder and the braking module are also connected), which provides the same constant 16V AC ?

i really need an answer to this, i cannot find anything in non-german that could help me understand. thanks

Fab
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by fabstar68
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 27 December 2023 10:58:32(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I think they mean that the track power is max. 16 V AC. No, you don't want an external power supply. The module uses track power as you described it. Refer to the brake module manual for connection without a signal. All Marklin accessories are rated for 16 volts.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 27 December 2023 11:00:26(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Fab
The 76496 signal is light "Exit" Signal with vorsignal. It includes a decoder so it includes 2 x 2-wire Brown-Red connectors (one to bring digital to the signal and the other to bring the track signal (digital or analogue), only needed if the included relay is to feed an insulated stop section.
Here is the general wiring
Sans titre.png
The signal can also be driven in analogue mode using the 3-wire connector In that case it is EITHER analogue feed OR digital FEED but not both

Because the brake module is non-digital the combination of both the 76496 and the brake module 72441 / 72442 goes like this. Notice the digital feed to the signal is omitted.
Sans titre1.png

Your question: Now the question is, do i really need an external AC power supply ? why cannot i connect those wires to the B / 0 spade connectors in the track (where the signal decoder and the braking module are also connected), which provides the same constant 16V AC ?
The external AC supply is needed only to drive the brake module (no decoder). No external power supply, = no activation of the brake module

I am not sure the 3-wire connector used to drive the BM is a dry contact (if it is not, you may fry the signal electronics) and I am not sure the brake module relay would like the digital high frequency at 19 V (not 16 VAC 50Hz). So, in short I am not sure it will work, it needs checking and testing.

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline fabstar68  
#4 Posted : 27 December 2023 15:06:42(UTC)
fabstar68

Italy   
thank you to you both, it seems that you said different things, anyway i bought a cheap amazon AC 16v power supply for a few bucks, only thing is that it is rated for just 1.000 mAmpere, but i guess that shoud be more than enough to drive what is necessary for the brake module, what do you think ?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by fabstar68