Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline einotuominen  
#1 Posted : 17 December 2023 18:29:12(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi guys!

I finally got my yard wiring done. 10 blocks, 15 turnouts. I truly need to replace the Märklin white speed controllers with Rokuhan though. I wonder why Märklin does not make PWM speed controllers… I’m really happy with the Märklin track though.

Filmed a short video of a test run too: https://youtube.com/shorts/QqrxlEYMbdQ

Next up, mainline track work!

BR,
Eino
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by einotuominen
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 17 December 2023 23:59:57(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: einotuominen Go to Quoted Post
I wonder why Märklin does not make PWM speed controllers…

PWM controllers can be a real problem where you have a mix of old style iron core motors and bell armature (coreless) motors.

Coreless motors require a high frequency, typically in the 20kHz to 50kHz range, while iron cored armatures require typically less than 5kHz.

The problem is that when you operate a coreless motor on the lower frequecy you can literally shake the rotor winding apart as it has so little mass it can oscillate at the drive frequency, eventually shaking the winding apart.

But if you operate an iron cored armature with high frequency PWM you get heating problems in the iron core due to losses in the iron at the high frequency, and if left driven like this will eventually overheat.

The end problem is that there is no one PWM frequency which is satisfactory for both motor types. We have DC controllers at our club that have a switch on them for switching between the motor types - but this relies on the operator knowing what sort of motor is fitted.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline einotuominen  
#3 Posted : 18 December 2023 05:51:31(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

PWM controllers can be a real problem where you have a mix of old style iron core motors and bell armature (coreless) motors.

Ah of course!

Maybe I’ll have that kind of switch your club has, but anyways, currently I drive AZL only.

Eino
Offline Toosmall  
#4 Posted : 18 December 2023 07:23:25(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
I tried a custom built PWM controller with the old motors (that's all I have). Absolutely fantastic at ultra slow speed. But as soon as you turned the speed up a bit, the motor sounded absolutely dreadful. I thought it was being ripped apart. Stopped using it.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline einotuominen  
#5 Posted : 18 December 2023 09:59:44(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Originally Posted by: Toosmall Go to Quoted Post
I tried a custom built PWM controller with the old motors (that's all I have). Absolutely fantastic at ultra slow speed. But as soon as you turned the speed up a bit, the motor sounded absolutely dreadful. I thought it was being ripped apart. Stopped using it.

Were these Märklin locos? At the AZL forums, everyone seems to be using PWM and the locos are DCC ready so I guess the motor is designed for PWM...

-Eino

Offline MikeK  
#6 Posted : 18 December 2023 22:16:10(UTC)
MikeK

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
I wonder why Märklin does not make PWM speed controllers…

Coreless motors require a high frequency, typically in the 20kHz to 50kHz range, while iron cored armatures require typically less than 5kHz.

The problem is that when you operate a coreless motor on the lower frequecy you can literally shake the rotor winding apart as it has so little mass it can oscillate at the drive frequency, eventually shaking the winding apart.

But if you operate an iron cored armature with high frequency PWM you get heating problems in the iron core due to losses in the iron at the high frequency, and if left driven like this will eventually overheat.

The end problem is that there is no one PWM frequency which is satisfactory for both motor types. We have DC controllers at our club that have a switch on them for switching between the motor types - but this relies on the operator knowing what sort of motor is fitted.

Very interesting information, I have been playing a bit with making my own PWM controller, combined with a camera to detect position and speed on the layout, do you know if it is possible to "auto detect" the type of motor? - I'll try to do some measurements, but I would guess that you could make a sweep of frequencies, and for the iron cored motors, would see a higher efficiency at the low frequencies (i.e. more speed for a given % of "on" time for the different frequencies)? - maybe some signal analysis could do it too?

How do I tell what kind of motor is in a given loco (like from the model number or by taking it apart) so I know what I'm measuring on?

A single track on the floor is better than no track at all...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MikeK
Offline Toosmall  
#7 Posted : 19 December 2023 00:11:14(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   

Were these Märklin locos? At the AZL forums, everyone seems to be using PWM and the locos are DCC ready so I guess the motor is designed for PWM...

-Eino

All my locos are old Marklin locos. The PWM controller was brilliant for mm movement.

Maybe the solution is to use a PWM controller for mm movement & switch to a standard controller for anything above. Easy enough to switch to in one's control panel.
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#8 Posted : 20 December 2023 22:07:59(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: MikeK Go to Quoted Post

Very interesting information, I have been playing a bit with making my own PWM controller, combined with a camera to detect position and speed on the layout, do you know if it is possible to "auto detect" the type of motor? - I'll try to do some measurements, but I would guess that you could make a sweep of frequencies, and for the iron cored motors, would see a higher efficiency at the low frequencies (i.e. more speed for a given % of "on" time for the different frequencies)? - maybe some signal analysis could do it too?

How do I tell what kind of motor is in a given loco (like from the model number or by taking it apart) so I know what I'm measuring on?

Newer coreless motors will have lower inductance than the old style motor, so if you were to measure the current with a high-ish frequency signal you could use this to detect which is which. I imagine you could use the PWM itself for this - start with a high frequency PWM and low duty cycle and if the current is below a certain threshold switch to a lower frequency.

Cheers

Chris

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#9 Posted : 20 December 2023 22:16:28(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   

All my locos are old Marklin locos. The PWM controller was brilliant for mm movement.

Maybe the solution is to use a PWM controller for mm movement & switch to a standard controller for anything above. Easy enough to switch to in one's control panel.

I designed a controller which smoothly transitioned from reduced voltage PWM to pure DC as the speed was increased. This gives the advantage of lower power dissipation in the motor at low speed whilst still giving good low speed control.

However, what I found with it (and with all PWM controllers) is a very sudden increase in speed once static friction is overcome so it's impossible to smoothly increase the speed from a crawl to a moderate speed. I've since changed to something based on a Gaugemaster design which gives pretty good all-round performance.

Cheers

Chris

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline parakiet  
#10 Posted : 21 December 2023 12:33:25(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
What is the gaugemaster design?
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#11 Posted : 21 December 2023 23:24:17(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: parakiet Go to Quoted Post
What is the gaugemaster design?

It's a simple transistorised controller, but the unusual thing is that the DC is not smoothed, so it is full of 100Hz ripple. In some ways it behaves like a PWM controller but at 100Hz and with a very rounded rather than rectangular waveform.

This Youtube video gives some insights :

If anyone is interested, I'm sure I can dig out the schematic of my controller (which is identical to the Gaugemaster but with the simulation circuit removed).

Cheers

Chris
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline ciderglider  
#12 Posted : 22 December 2023 10:26:01(UTC)
ciderglider

United Kingdom   
That YouTube video is very good. I had thought that the Gaugemaster controllers were PWM, but it seems I was wrong. Gaugemaster's website is somewhat inscrutable regarding how their products work.
Offline Paul59  
#13 Posted : 22 December 2023 11:24:30(UTC)
Paul59

United Kingdom   
The Gaugemaster controllers are a basic electronic DC voltage control but none the worse for that.The ones I have had have been very reliable over the years. They are a very solid construction and have a feel of quality about them.
They do make a feedback pwm controller but only in a hand held version - the model HH but I don't think they do a version for Z scale.
Marklin HO using M track. Now reverted to analogue as I find it has more character - and I understand it!
Offline husafreak  
#14 Posted : 23 December 2023 05:03:42(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
To the OP I would recommend one Rokuhan controller (buy or borrow) to test first. With my collection of Marklin locos I found the Rokuhan controllers to be "difficult". With some older engines the controller safety would trip and shutdown, other newer ones would not stop running at low throttle due to Rokuhan's ingenious system that keeps the lights of their locos on at the throttle stop. And a lot ran just fine. I used PWM controllers by Snailspeed too. In the end I settled on the older Marklin white controllers that are hard wired because they just work, but with those big speed steps that we all dislike. Regarding AZL I converted all of mine to DCC and use an NCE Powercab. But I never had a problem running AZL or MTL locos with Rokuhan. My Marklin European trains remain DC.
Offline einotuominen  
#15 Posted : 23 December 2023 18:24:17(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
To the OP I would recommend one Rokuhan controller (buy or borrow) to test first. With my collection of Marklin locos I found the Rokuhan controllers to be "difficult". With some older engines the controller safety would trip and shutdown, other newer ones would not stop running at low throttle due to Rokuhan's ingenious system that keeps the lights of their locos on at the throttle stop. And a lot ran just fine. I used PWM controllers by Snailspeed too. In the end I settled on the older Marklin white controllers that are hard wired because they just work, but with those big speed steps that we all dislike. Regarding AZL I converted all of mine to DCC and use an NCE Powercab. But I never had a problem running AZL or MTL locos with Rokuhan. My Marklin European trains remain DC.

I found Rokuhan RC02 on eBay for 27€ so I ordered two. Just have to check if the Märklin power sources that come with the white speed controller can be used with the RC02 as well. Luckily they can be used with batteries also.

I will anyhow drive only AZL locos.