Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Astro60  
#1 Posted : 04 December 2023 03:57:01(UTC)
Astro60

United States   
New member here. Thanks for letting me join. I am setting up my Marklin layout after moving, and I have some surface rust on the inner portion of my 1950's-1960's era Markilin turntable. I only need to paint the inside of the turntable (the inner part, inside of the circular "ring" gear). Is there a paint color code for this, or do I have to somehow match the color. Thanks.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Astro60
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 04 December 2023 11:40:21(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Welcome Astro! I don't have a turntable but that is a great classic. Have you tried a rust remover? If it is very thick, and must be repainted will you be airbrushing? That would be a way to custom mix colors. Otherwise, a spray flat enamel, unless you don't care about brush streaks. I can only guess a medium gray to simulate concrete.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 04 December 2023 12:01:23(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
A warm welcome to this great forum of Märklin friends
The colour of the 410NG then 7186 has changed over the years and was NOT uniform.
Here is a video on my 1951 410 NG turntable

As you may see, in this version:
- the border and the bridge are middle grey
- the circular rack zone and the track on the bridge is dark grey
- the pit's bottom is medium beige / cream colour
- cabin is silver, window rims in white, roof in dark bordeaux / brown

Here is a 7186 from approx 1961
7186 1960.png

Later 1958-1975 the 7186 was like this
7186.png
- reduced nuances of colours, medium grey
- darker nuance on the track on the bridge
- cabin's roof still Bordeaux, no red glob for light

I hope this helps a little
Jean

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Astro60  
#4 Posted : 04 December 2023 18:27:44(UTC)
Astro60

United States   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Welcome Astro! I don't have a turntable but that is a great classic. Have you tried a rust remover? If it is very thick, and must be repainted will you be airbrushing? That would be a way to custom mix colors. Otherwise, a spray flat enamel, unless you don't care about brush streaks. I can only guess a medium gray to simulate concrete.

Thanks! I'll be cleaning up the rust, and plan on painting with an airbrush. It looks like I'll have to bring it to a hobby shop or paint store to see if I can get close with the color.
Offline Astro60  
#5 Posted : 04 December 2023 18:34:35(UTC)
Astro60

United States   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi
A warm welcome to this great forum of Märklin friends
The colour of the 410NG then 7186 has changed over the years and was NOT uniform.
Here is a video on my 1951 410 NG turntable

As you may see, in this version:
- the border and the bridge are middle grey
- the circular rack zone and the track on the bridge is dark grey
- the pit's bottom is medium beige / cream colour
- cabin is silver, window rims in white, roof in dark bordeaux / brown

Here is a 7186 from approx 1961
7186 1960.png

Later 1958-1975 the 7186 was like this
7186.png
- reduced nuances of colours, medium grey
- darker nuance on the track on the bridge
- cabin's roof still Bordeaux, no red glob for light

I hope this helps a little
Jean

Thank you so much! I just checked and mine does not have a light in the cabin. Also, the box that it came in is the lighter blue color. Would this help in determining the era and colors?

Offline BenP  
#6 Posted : 05 December 2023 17:43:14(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Originally Posted by: Astro60 Go to Quoted Post

Thanks! I'll be cleaning up the rust, and plan on painting with an airbrush. It looks like I'll have to bring it to a hobby shop or paint store to see if I can get close with the color.

A flat, slightly darker gray base would work fine with lighter original rim and bridge. Just my take.
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 05 December 2023 18:15:32(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi

Thank you so much! I just checked and mine does not have a light in the cabin. Also, the box that it came in is the lighter blue color. Would this help in determining the era and colors?

The light blue box colour is typical of the 2nd half of the 60s (1965 to 1970)
Ideally, the mix of 2 paint colours (dark grey and medium grew covered with satin varnish) would be great using an airbrush

Here is the box of that time
7186 box.png
and here is the decoration à that time
7186 inside.png
Sounds like a nice project.
Cheers
Jean

Offline Astro60  
#8 Posted : 05 December 2023 18:50:53(UTC)
Astro60

United States   
Originally Posted by: BenP Go to Quoted Post

A flat, slightly darker gray base would work fine with lighter original rim and bridge. Just my take.

Thank you for the color information. I'm going to try to match the paint as best as possible.

Offline Astro60  
#9 Posted : 05 December 2023 18:53:36(UTC)
Astro60

United States   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi

The light blue box colour is typical of the 2nd half of the 60s (1965 to 1970)
Ideally, the mix of 2 paint colours (dark grey and medium grew covered with satin varnish) would be great using an airbrush

Here is the box of that time
7186 box.png
and here is the decoration à that time
7186 inside.png
Sounds like a nice project.
Cheers
Jean

Thank you for the information! This is the same box and unit that I have. Colors look exactly the same. I'll have to try to match the colors as close as possible. Will be a winter project!

Offline mbarreto  
#10 Posted : 05 December 2023 18:58:03(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

As the result will not be the original paint, you can paint it the color you like...
If you google images of the turntable you will see the different variations. Of course the exact RAL will not be displayed :-)
There is at least one version where the color of the base circle is darker in the outer part and gradually goes lighter to the center of the circle. Then the border
is also not homogeneous in that it kind of have dots imitating gravel (that's what it seems to me).
In Youtube you can see some videos of turntable weathering, which may also produce even a better look.

Miguel

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline Astro60  
#11 Posted : 05 December 2023 19:03:53(UTC)
Astro60

United States   
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post

As the result will not be the original paint, you can paint it the color you like...
If you google images of the turntable you will see the different variations. Of course the exact RAL will not be displayed :-)
There is at least one version where the color of the base circle is darker in the outer part and gradually goes lighter to the center of the circle. Then the border
is also not homogeneous in that it kind of have dots imitating gravel (that's what it seems to me).
In Youtube you can see some videos of turntable weathering, which may also produce even a better look.

Miguel

Thank you! I'll check on the YouTube videos. I have all Winter to do this, so I have time to do a nice job.