Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline spinnerguy  
#1 Posted : 26 November 2023 21:38:48(UTC)
spinnerguy

United Kingdom   
Just started Z gauge ,and bought the above loco second hand ,from a known retailer. Runs well after some oiling .However ,after about half power on the controller ,a shrill noise develops - in forward and reverse.
I have looked on Marklin site, but can see no way to remove body . Both bogies have limited swing ,and will not move fully round to expose any screws.
There appear to be metal tabs under the bogies holding on the body . Any suggestions how to remove the body .Not sure on age of the loco,but some wear on paintwork.

Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 27 November 2023 00:36:14(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: spinnerguy Go to Quoted Post
Just started Z gauge ,and bought the above loco second hand ,from a known retailer. Runs well after some oiling .However ,after about half power on the controller ,a shrill noise develops - in forward and reverse.
I have looked on Marklin site, but can see no way to remove body . Both bogies have limited swing ,and will not move fully round to expose any screws.
There appear to be metal tabs under the bogies holding on the body . Any suggestions how to remove the body .Not sure on age of the loco,but some wear on paintwork.

Hi Spinnerguy
Welcome to this great forum of Märklin fans.
It is better if you introduce yourself (first name, region, area of interest, etc), just better but not mandatory.
Here a Märklin fan in HO digital and his layout goes like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6WnhXPcRqI

Looking into the Märklin website, I found an older BR221 (Ref 88201) with the documentation you may download
https://static.maerklin....f1c4c0a0f31434541914.pdf

To answer your question, it seems that the body is clipsed on the chassis by locking tabs near the inner axles
So it is about inserting gently a thin flat screwdriver in those places and using tooth picks you keep the body unlock for you to pull it out.
Since you don't know what kind of oil has been used before, I recommend you remove (sweep) all oil with a paper tissue and then use Märklin oil.
Cheers
Jean

Offline Zme  
#3 Posted : 27 November 2023 01:42:21(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello,

Welcome to Z.

There have been a few versions of the Br 221 in Z. I don’t know which version you have, but I know that is a great one. I have the 88203 BR 200 which is similar.

Here is a link which will give you a better idea of what to expect should you start to take this locomotive apart.

https://www.maerklin.de/...elnummer=8820&lang=2

The old oil hardened around the operating gears etc., is likely causing the noise you have noticed. It is always better to remove all of this old material, but it is possible by just adding more lube around the gear on top of the bogie and perhaps on the motor gear would help. The bogie is held on my a single axle and is easily removed.

If this work is not enough you will know quickly enough and then you must do more extensive work. There is some noise associated with these models, but the one you mentioned should not be present. Perhaps you can just lubricant the points I mentioned. If it seems the noise is gone after this, keep an eye on it because it should not run hot. The hardened oil does not usually fall off or dissolve. It might always be present, unless you remove it. This old oil causes resistance to the free movement of the components and this might cause heating. Excessive heat is not normal.

Should you decide to disassemble this locomotive, be careful, lost parts might be hard to replace. The parts are small and easy to lose and must be reassembled precisely. Search this forum for tips on working with the z scale locomotives and consider following them.

Again welcome, hopefully you will get this locomotive working again.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline spinnerguy  
#4 Posted : 27 November 2023 11:05:24(UTC)
spinnerguy

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the replies After some more very light oilings with watch oil,noise is reduced.I will live with it as is,I can see problems refitting body ,so best left ......
Offline Zme  
#5 Posted : 27 November 2023 21:29:16(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. Hope all is well.

While the other instructions showed removing the shell with a screw driver, I have never done this. A few guitar picks were suggested in the past, or you could use some plastic strips like shown in a newer manual linked below.

https://static.maerklin....fc6711fbad1523957430.pdf

A screw driver may leave marks on the lower part of your shell. I just keep my thumbnails a bit longer and use them to gently flex the shell wider until you can push the frame out with my other fingers. Sounds like this would never work, but works for me. I just reverse the process to reinstall the shell.

Take good care, keep an eye on your locomotive and note any excessive heat. The shell tends to spread when the motor gets it hot enough and might not stay attached.

Take good care.

Dwight
Offline parakiet  
#6 Posted : 28 November 2023 04:18:42(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Get yourself a "cheap" amazon or ebay kit to repair phones.
They have small screwdrivers and small light plastic clips. With those clips you can remove the shell. Be careful when you push a screwdriver between the chassis and the dhell to open the train!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by parakiet
Online marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 28 November 2023 13:13:23(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I got a tool kit from Amazon with several sizes of torx,std., and Philips screwdrivers, and two tweezers and a pointed tool for about $15.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline Manga  
#8 Posted : 29 November 2023 08:15:33(UTC)
Manga

Australia   
Are you up for a full disassembly?
That way you can clean any dirt (especially dust) that Z scale accumulates.

Here is a real life exploded photo of parts and how they fit together that I took recently for a full service because the brushes are starting to wear down too thin and had to be replaced.

8820 disassembly for maintenance.jpg

A word of caution: Be very careful removing the couplers (marked in red). There is a tiny spring which likes to fling away across the room which you will never be able to find again!
I lost one or two and now do it inside a large clear plastic bag. Furthermore I have also superglued (Cyanoacrylate) the spring to the coupler to save future mishaps of lost springs.

I use 99% pure isopropyl alcohol to clean parts which cuts through grime.
On re-assembly use a tiny drop of oil on gears (eg: the tip of a toothpick). I use Singer sewing machine oil.

Welcome to the hobbyThumpUp
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Manga
Offline Toosmall  
#9 Posted : 30 November 2023 12:22:47(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Manga Go to Quoted Post
A word of caution: Be very careful removing the couplers (marked in red). There is a tiny spring which likes to fling away across the room which you will never be able to find again!

More likely to be struck by lightning... twice, finding it!

Even when one is extremely careful to the nth degree it still flies off into the ether.

You could be in a hermetically sealed white painted sphere & you still won't find it.

The only way would be sticking your hands through tight fitting holes in a plastic bag. A bit like a 'large format film loading bag' but at least you can see what you are doing.

This loco is my favourite, have flogged all mine to death, but they just keep going. They were all bought new in late 1980s to early 1990s.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline spinnerguy  
#10 Posted : 09 January 2024 11:46:57(UTC)
spinnerguy

United Kingdom   
Just removed the casing,given the gearing an oiling,and got both bulbs working by adjusting contacts .Now much quieter forward and reverse,and lights on ......
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by spinnerguy
Offline Toosmall  
#11 Posted : 09 January 2024 21:23:51(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Just a reminder to everyone, do not over oil locos. A bit like an antique clock. A bit too much oil is a disaster. Actually causes more wear & tear.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Zme
Offline parakiet  
#12 Posted : 11 January 2024 11:02:25(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Manga Go to Quoted Post
Are you up for a full disassembly?

I lost one or two and now do it inside a large clear plastic bag. Furthermore I have also superglued (Cyanoacrylate) the spring to the coupler to save future mishaps of lost springs.

img_1_1704967143872.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by parakiet