Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Alex H  
#1 Posted : 08 November 2023 20:03:34(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Hi. Can anyone recommend someone in the UK who can have a look at a Marklin loco - it's virtually new and now wont run (was always a little hesitant).

Clearly it's getting power to the PCB as I can read and write to the decoder.

Its a Class 24 Steam loco (Marklin part number 36244)

Thanks

Alex
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 08 November 2023 23:11:27(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Alex
Before sending your loco for repair I suggest:
- you verify that all wheel of the tender and the driving wheel return the current (Loco upside down on a foam bed and one wire to the slider (B) and the other to one of these wheel
- if your verification is positive then I suggest you use a contact spray on the tender acles and on the loco driving axles
- let it run for half an hour. Then clean the loco and remove the contact liquid and LIGHTLY lubricate (I use a Syringe (disposable hypodermic syringe)
- you are good to go.
Cheers
Jean
Offline Alex H  
#3 Posted : 09 November 2023 09:03:52(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the suggestion, I will do that today.

Regards

Alex
Offline David Dewar  
#4 Posted : 10 November 2023 15:53:44(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Alex where did you buy the loco. I am aware of a dealer where locos sit on the shelf for a very long time so oil could be the problem.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Alex H  
#5 Posted : 10 November 2023 18:03:38(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Hi

Its was a present for my birthday last March so I am not sure where it was purchased from - my guess would be Amazon.eu but I can check over the weekend; but it has not been used at all since I had it. Thanks for the suggestions. I took the casing off but was then called away, so I will have a close look tomorrow.

At first glance everything seems ok, and if I apply power I can feel vibrations in the motor.

Thanks again and will report back tomorrow

Alex
Offline 60904  
#6 Posted : 13 November 2023 20:52:11(UTC)

Germany   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Alex where did you buy the loco. I am aware of a dealer where locos sit on the shelf for a very long time so oil could be the problem.

Oil is no longer a problem.
Greetings
Martin
Offline DasBert33  
#7 Posted : 14 November 2023 08:00:35(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
I assume you are running using digital ? Do you have a classic transformer to try analog operation? You need to figure out whether it is a mechanical issue or an electrical/motor one.

I too had a loco that ran not really good and 'with hesitation'. It was a BR94 37168, see this topic: https://www.marklin-user...lin-BR94-5-18--cat-37160 . This problem got worse to a point where it didn't move at all. When making the noise, it did start moving when giving the motor cardanwheel a small push. Note, do not try to move the wheels, this would damage your loco, you would need to try and move the driveshaft of the motor with the cardanwheel itself. This is also not a fix, as the loco would get stuck again after being stopped or running slow.

As you can read in the other topic, the issue was caused by overoiling (by Marklin) and the oil getting into the motor brushes, with some motor windings not getting contact anymore. The only fix that really helped for me was a plain motor replacement. I'm not saying this is your issue, but your description does sound similar somewhat. (new, decoder still fully working, loco not moving)

Bert